Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timberline SQ 4XT comofrtable for three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Timberline SQ 4XT comofrtable for three?

NYC girl.. Fellow New Yorker! Thank you.. I actually tried to set it up in the front yard of our apartment building last week.. Didn't stake it down. A gust of wind came, and for a while there I had a neat little box kite.. Then the poles gave, shock cord snapped, and the thing flew. Thankfully, there was a hedge in its way. If it wasn't for that, I'd be chasing it through the streets of the Bronx. Heh.. Bent the poles back, fixed the cord.. Stake your tents! I ended up pitching it indoors.. The tent comes with a vestibule, so.. Any necessary gear will be at hand. The rest will stay on the bicycles, tarps and all.. I figure if we have three perpendicular to the tent doors, we could be okay. And, the decade you mention sounds lovely Would love to have experienced.. Thank you..

TPlife.. I actually snagged the tent up at around 240 dollars, so.. Hard to pass on it after reading all the rave reviews. Another updated feature of this tent is the spreader pole. It gives it more vertical walls, so the volume is more abundant than earlier models..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Timberline.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	69271

That was the selling point. It was between the Timberline and the Tetragon for me, but I'd read many reviews of the latter that suggested waterproofing was an issue.

And, Glitterhiker.. Which tour are you doing? Any questions you have, shoot them my way.. If it's easier, you (and anybody else with cycle camping questions) can Email me at BLUEANG@aol.com..

Comment

You did your research and are trying the thing out first, with that approach you can't go wrong. All tents need waterproofing (seam-sealing). Can't agree with the Tetragon reviews concerning waterproofing though, I've had one for several years, now a "guest" loaner, and I've used it to hunt deer and bear at 8000 feet in sub-freezing cold and freezing rain without incident, and I do use Marmot down bags. I've had A-frame tents way back when, and they were a good value. Happy Camping!
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by chiroptile View Post

And, Glitterhiker.. Which tour are you doing?
        The one that combines both: the C&O Canal and the Great Allegheny Passage. It'll be 335 miles from D.C. to Pittsburgh. It's the end of September.
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Thank you, tp.. I guess the one review that matters in the end is the one you write yourself..

Glitter, that's nice.. We're doing NYC - Athens, GA. Riding through DC, actually.. Taking the Adventure Cycling route down to Richmond, VA, then splitting off towards Durham, NC, and onwards. Would you happen to know any campgrounds where we could pitch a tent somewhere around DC?
          Last edited by chiroptile; 04-28-2011, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Yes, I can tell you about campgrounds -- since I've been exploring the area last fall / this spring. I don't know the Adventure Cycling route though. So tell me approximately how you're getting into D.C. from Maryland and your route outside D.C. / through Virgina and I can recommend the closest campgrounds.
            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by chiroptile View Post
              NYC girl.. Fellow New Yorker! Thank you.. I actually tried to set it up in the front yard of our apartment building last week.. Didn't stake it down. A gust of wind came, and for a while there I had a neat little box kite.. Then the poles gave, shock cord snapped, and the thing flew. Thankfully, there was a hedge in its way. If it wasn't for that, I'd be chasing it through the streets of the Bronx. Heh.. Bent the poles back, fixed the cord.. Stake your tents! I ended up pitching it indoors.. The tent comes with a vestibule, so.. Any necessary gear will be at hand. The rest will stay on the bicycles, tarps and all.. I figure if we have three perpendicular to the tent doors, we could be okay. And, the decade you mention sounds lovely Would love to have experienced.. Thank you..

TPlife.. I actually snagged the tent up at around 240 dollars, so.. Hard to pass on it after reading all the rave reviews. Another updated feature of this tent is the spreader pole. It gives it more vertical walls, so the volume is more abundant than earlier models..

That was the selling point. It was between the Timberline and the Tetragon for me, but I'd read many reviews of the latter that suggested waterproofing was an issue.

And, Glitterhiker.. Which tour are you doing? Any questions you have, shoot them my way.. If it's easier, you (and anybody else with cycle camping questions) can Email me at BLUEANG@aol.com..
              LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
              Unfortunately, I get the flying tent visual much too well.

I attempted to reseal the tent seams in my bldg's courtyard one year and as usual had staff in stitches.This was after being informed by CP park rangers that tent structures weren't allowed in there...
              The super took pity on me that year and gave me the key to a vacant apt he was renovating.
              Nowadaze, I give my gear to my nephew (his family lives in Westchester now)to hose down and seal. Amazing what 20 bucks will do for the current youth of America .

I grew up in da Bronx!?!
              Back in the daze when Alexander's (now that's seriously dating :D) proudly stated it was uptown and blue haired women lunched at Krumm's on the GC, while Lincoln Continental chauffeurs paid by guilt ridden now moved to FL/LI children, waited outside for them. And yes, there weally were goldfish in the pool of the Loew's Paradise. Errrrrrrr but but we dinna dress up to go there; that would be my mother's generation, LOL.
              And my mom still lives up there (@ Executive Towers near Yankee Stadium) because in her words: "someone in the family has to keep the Bx lights on". She amuses me. A lot. And I hope to amuse my granddgthr in the same manner in years to come .

I think you and your tent have bonded, in a manner only known to city dwellers; keep it and those memories will continue to flow. I also think the vestibule should make the stretch out space better.
              What route will ya take down South?

I pay much too much attention to stuff like road food nowadaze..............hehehe.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Hey, Glitter.. I actually ordered the Adventure Cycling map for the DC portion of our ride.. It shows campgrounds along the route, so I think we should be okay.. Also, I was thinking, Since you are a doing a supported ride, you could easily get away without needing any panniers.. Just get a rear rack with a trunk bag and a handlebar bag. You should be okay..

NYCgrrl.. I live in the Bronx.. Up in Riverdale. Didn't notice the Borough changing in front of my eyes, or anything.. But, watching A Bronx Tale, definitely looks like it went a ways..

Comment

Hey, all.. Back from my little adventure. Let me tell you, the 4 person sq4xt was actually very roomy for three.. Mind you, we used it only for sleeping.. Still, it had ample space for all of us. The vestibule fit all of our gear. Photos to come

Comment

Working...
                  X