New to camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to camping

Me and my family had a family meeting and voted to buy some camping gear. Now we have not bought it yet, we have about a week to organize before shopping. I have three children all girls, 3 months, 11 years, and 12 years old. I need any and all advice that I can get, things I may not know due to not camping since I was a kid (now 41).

I have been looking around at many sites and we are leaning toward getting two of the Colman Instant Tents a 4 or 6 man for the kids and if we can find it the 2010 model of the 8 man for me and my wife (we are large people). The 2011 model is smaller than the 2010 near as I can figure out. Anyway I like the design of the tents in that you can easily walk around in them and ease of setting up. Are there any pitfalls to avoid when using or any issues with these tents?

We are also not going to be "roughing it" as much as enjoying being at the lake or park we are at. We are going to try to go places with electrical hookups where we can have lights and things without having to worry so much about batteries or fuel.

The last time I remember camping for the sake of camping was when I was in the fouth grade and I camped in my backyard. Me and my brother had a campfire, tents and the whole nine yards. I think he gave up about 2 am but was up with me cooking what I can only imagine had to be the worst breakfast my mother and father ever ate. So yea even though camping has not been a big part of my life as of yet what I have done was fun so I am looking forward for some memories with my kids, (hopefully not the breakfast). Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave P

Re: New to camping

You're right; the 2010 8 man is bigger by 2 ft and according to Coleman's site you can get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Instan...1510191&sr=8-1

I've never used this particular tent ( I've a Eureka Copper Canyon) but it certainly has a lot of positive reviews. Still despite it's ease of setup, I wonder about the lack of rain fly. Should you camp in a windy and rainy area this could be a big problem altho you could get around it by rigging your own tarp or maybe even a Popup.

Do you have your cooler(s) yet?
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Welcome David! Just about any question you might have can be found in these pages on tent camping....but that's a lot of reading! So...go ahead....ask away anyways.....there is help just wanting to help you with whatever questions you may have. Just remember that every campout is just practice for your next one! We all hope your stay with us will be a long and happy journey in tent camping! Every campateer is eager to help! It's also a great place to share camping stories as well! Thanks for joining CF!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Keep in mind that those big tents may not fit at a lot of campsites. We have an 8x10 and have been to sites where it barely fit. And NYCgrrl is right, the absence of a rainfly, and the height could both be issues in bad weather. You don't say where you live or plan on camping, but be prepared for the cold. The biggest turnoff to camping is being cold all night, so get good stuff.

Happy camping! I'm sure your girls will enjoy it!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome RDF. I have been looking all thru the forums and love alot of the ideas that yall have. We are definately going to get all the stuff for camping and camping only. I like that idea the most because of the ease of loading up and going anytime you get the feeling to. All we have is a small cooler so no we have not really checked into them much yet. I have a couple check lists printed up and trying to check things out. Its slow going but its getting done I think.

I guess it would not hurt to give yall a few more details about us and where we might be going camping. We drive a 98 Tahoe that by the time we all get in it there is not a ton of space for gear. Like I said we have a 3 month old so we have extra stuff for her like portable crib and so on. We live in Northeast Texas about 30 miles from Lake Texoma. Our first planned trip looks like it will be to Eisenhower State Park. After that when we get the time to go it will be closer to home. We have a smaller lake and a state park here so we have some choices close to home. Me and my wife have not done any camping since we were kids so we are kind of clueless.

Oh one question I did have is I know some places limit the number of tents you can set up. Is a four pole shade considered to be a tent, I would not think so but you never know how things work until you ask. Another thing is that me and my wife and bigger people I tip the scales at 350 lbs. so what is the best option for sleeping with some comfort. Has anyone tried to get a Foreman Grill and use it for camping. Not the outdoor one but the kitchen type. Thanks for the advice.

Dave P

Comment

DP....a shade canopy, isn't considered a tent any where that we've been. And even if you close your eyes for a split second or a couple of hours, or even overnight(if the weather is warm enough) no one will turn you in or write you up for not sleepin in a tent. Your second question needs an answer from Big Dog! He's a very kind and gentle camper.
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Hey David P,
              As far as the Foreman Grill, it is electrical. What do you plan to plug it into, a currant bush?
              I would something powered by propane.
              Second, as to your sleeping situation, cots won't hold that much weight. Perhaps an air mattress will suit your needs. I'd experiment with one at home before I took it out in the field.
              FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
                Hey David P,
                As far as the Foreman Grill, it is electrical. What do you plan to plug it into, a currant bush?
                I would something powered by propane.
                Second, as to your sleeping situation, cots won't hold that much weight. Perhaps an air mattress will suit your needs. I'd experiment with one at home before I took it out in the field.

Hehehehee. Thanks for the early morn funny- never heard that one before:cool:
                Actually, DP, said he's looking to stay at sites with electric hookups.
                Altho it might make sense to check with the park as to campsite ground development. Ya don't wanna setup a tent on gravel or concrete.

I can't say for TX but I do know that in some states there is a limit on structures ( for CT it's 3) and they do count shade shelters/Pop ups. The easiest way to know is to call or check online at the park(s) in question.

As for a cot, this might be an option for ya:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104280480

Can't say I've used it personally but you can go thru the reviews and judge for self .

HTH!
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

David, as far as cooking goes, get a Coleman stove. They're great, and some use multiple fuels. We have both a Coleman stove and a Coleman road trip grill, which is awesome, but costs more.
                  As for sleeping, check out the Teton sports xxl cot on amazon.com. I had one and they're great, and supposedly holds up to 600 pounds. VERY comfortable. But drama getting it up. Check out their website. I think it's Tetonsports.com. You can google it. They also have big sleeping bags. The cots are huge, so you'd need a big tent. Six man at least. But, with the cots, you can store stuff underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by CulverCityCamper View Post
                    David, as far as cooking goes, get a Coleman stove. They're great, and some use multiple fuels. We have both a Coleman stove and a Coleman road trip grill, which is awesome, but costs more.
                    As for sleeping, check out the Teton sports xxl cot on amazon.com. I had one and they're great, and supposedly holds up to 600 pounds. VERY comfortable. But drama getting it up. Check out their website. I think it's Tetonsports.com. You can google it. They also have big sleeping bags. The cots are huge, so you'd need a big tent. Six man at least. But, with the cots, you can store stuff underneath.
                    Yes to a dual fuel Coleman stove.
                    I've a white gas version since in part, that's what I'm used to, but, to be able to use propane as well, certainly has benefits.

As for coolers.......get the best insulated unit(s) your money can buy. Money spent on the initial cooler purchase is money saved on daily ice purchases.
                    2017:

Comment

Well, if you want to go with the coleman instant 6 man tent, Target has them onsale this week for $125.00. I hope this link works, if not go to target.com and click under Weekly Ad button/banner and look throught the ad until you find it. Buy a good cooler with the money you save. Seriously, see if you can borrow some camping gear before you buy. You might be like a friend of mine who spent hundred's of dollars on stuff and his wife and kids hated it. Or buy cheap and upgrade as cash becomes available.

http://weeklyad.target.com/target/de...ion=entryflash

Comment

Shawnbebout is right. If you can borrow stuff that would be great. Do you have an REI nearby? They rent equipment. Camping equipment does get expensive. One thing about coolers, you can always use those, so get a good one. We have the Coleman 5 day, which actually works well under the conditions they're specified for. If possible, have a separate cooler for drinks.

Comment

Hey David, Welcome!

I just recently searched around and bought a new tent. One of the things I kept running into with the Instant Tent was people said it wasn't ventilated well and that it would condensate some inside.

One of the things mentioned here already was some campsites not being big enough for really large tents. I kind of ran into that here when I went out first time with my Coleman dome 10x10. There were some sites in the park that I wouldn't have had room for my tent.

Anyway, good luck with it. Let us know what you get and how it goes. Take lots of pics and share them when you can.

Comment

Well I have been spending a lot of time looking things up on the coleman instant tent and I started finding issues with it leaking when it rains. I think I found at least three different places that someone posted about leaks so I am getting away from that one. Good call guys yall gave me great info out of the gate on that one Thanks. Something I forgot to put in my reply was that we have about a 1500 dollar budget now I know that this is doable but trying to balance fun for the family with the best gear for the dollar. I know yall look for similar things all of the time (yes I have read several entrys on the forums). I dont think we are going to have a issue with not liking it once we start going. My kids recently went with their mom and her family and they kind of had it rough and still want to go back. My goal is to try my best to get the best base stuff that we can for our dollar and not be replacing too much until we are ready to upgrade next year. Oh by the way everything yall have posted has helped to guide me so much I cant thank yall enough. I will check with the parks we want to use on a regular basis and see how big a area they have to set up the tents that may be a issue.

Ok of course with new suggestions come new questions hehe. First how do you determine how insulated the cooler is. To me the short answer would be how thick the sides are but if those sides are hollow then that is not a lot of help. Anyway I have never went and shopped for a cooler other than just getting one that was priced right and big enough for what I needed. Second question is I have what I feel like may be a limited budget since I am buying all my gear. I am also leaning toward picking up a canopy shade with the netting. If I am not able to do the canopy on my budget then I need to try to find one with a screened porch kind of thing (My wife like that feature, happy wife=happy family hehe). So from a cost stand point I am either going to buy a tent big enough for us all (wife will not like this as much) or get two tents and a canopy so cost wise I am pretty much buying three tents. Ok thanks to your advice and some research I need something with a rainfly one that sleeps at least six and another four. I would prefer something you can move around in but will take anything for stability. The average wind speed during a couple of recent storms at Texhoma have pushed 20+ mph average and that was the peak. So while I realize that is not the toughest conditions I still want to stand a chance if it rains. I almost feel like I am asking too much of a tent on my budget. Anyway I need to know if there is anything out there that would stand up well and would cost about 450 for both tents.

I really see this as something we are going to do regularly. Once you get the gear the cost to go is low compared to other things to do. My dad has a boat that he will gladly let us use, and my wife likes to fish. I just cant see going to wrong with this for my family. Seriously what else could you do for a $100 and spend a weekend doing it. Hell I cant take my family to the movie and get popcorn for less than 40. Lets see things you can do while camping, swimming, fishing, boating, bird watching, hiking, cycling, roast marshmellows, make new friends, stargazing, I know there is more I just cant think atm too early hehe. Now I just listed nine things if you cant find something while camping for everybody to enjoy then pack up your truck and go to the movies and enjoy the next two hours.

Yall have really been a HUGE help I would never have known where to even start before now I am beginning to get a couple of good handles on this. That is in no small part thanks to yall. I have learned so much Thank You just does not seem to cover it but its all I got.

THANK YOU

Dave P and his family

Comment

Hi Dave,

I had a similar situation last summer - went camping with my brother and his family and needed to buy a larger tent than anticipated. We ended up buying a large 15x12' that worked great for us (came w rainfly, super sturdy) but in my search I came across plenty of tents with rainflys that could fit a large number of people. also, i remember there being a few tents that had a divider within it to create some separation.
                              i get all of my camping gear from this site
                              http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...ents.aspx?c=80
                              their prices are honest and they have a ton of stuff (you can def find a good deal on a cooler and cot/air mattress).

happy camping
                              JP

Comment

Working...
                              X