New to camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to camping

If this helps you ... typically I'm a week-end camper, but am going for a week-long hiking event. We will be camped on a field with many dozen others. I have searched for hours for a tent that: gives me privacy & room; has to fit in approximately a 9x12 area; and! has a screened area where I can just hang out; I finally found this one (L. L. Bean King Pine Dome). I got the 4-person version, but there's also a 6-person version.
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68613...pping&subrnd=0
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

David, check out the new thread : tents what to look for by renodesertfox. Very informative. I know it's difficult deciding on a tent cause there are so many out there. It took me months to decide. I did get one with a full coverage fly. It was a little easier for me though cause there are just three of us. We got one bigger than needed because I like room. Get the best you can afford so you won't have to keep replacing it. I'm an REI fan because they have a great return policy. That being said, that LLBean tent looks pretty cool. I might have gone for that one if I had seen it.
      Happy shopping!

Comment

Hey DP,
        You do not have to purchase for the long term all equipment. I picked out one or two pieces that I bought to last and then each year I upgraded a piece or two. That will give you some idea about what camping needs you have based on your experiences. It is better to fill in the gaps with less expensive equipment than do without until we can pick up the good stuff. Walmart is a great place to find the fillers.
        FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

You'll be camping in my neck of the woods. I'm from SE OK. Be sure to check whether it's a Walk-in or Drive-up site. Those walk-in sites can vary in distance from 10 yards to a quarter mile. I noticed some places have started charging an entrance fee in addition to the camp fees. Since you're just starting the camping experience, it would be a good idea to camp where the local grocery store is within a 5 mile driving distance. After you get an idea about how much food and supplies you need, you can venture out a little further. Take along a board game for the kids. If you get a good rain, that'll keep them busy when you're stuck inside the tent. This weekend we camped at the southern end of Lake Eufaula. We had 25 mph constant wind with gusts up to 40 mph. The only tents that were left standing were those 2 pole dome tents. I don't know if the wind did all that damage. If a tent isn't staked properly, our 15 mph breezes can pull a tent down.

I've heard lots of good things about a place called Big Mineral Campground down your way. If ya'll get a chance to try it out, I'd really like to hear about your experience. Happy Camping.

Comment

Working...
          X