Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping at Yellowstone

Hey everyone!

My partner and I are going camping for the first time together. I've gone camping before, but that has been at least a good 17 years or so since I have been. We've decided to go on a trip to Yellowstone National Park and we'll be camping in the Canyon campgrounds. We're totally stoked about our trip too. We leave on the 3rd of June and will be gone for 7 days.

All of this beautiful stuff will be fitting in a 2010 Ford Focus. I hope it all fits!

Here is a list of everything that we have thus far (from memory):Mind you this list is compiled off the top of my head. I am sure I am missing something, but I'm not quite sure. If you see anything that I am missing on the list, I'd appreciate it.

Re: Camping at Yellowstone

This sounds familiar! Last year me, girlfriend and 3 kids, none of them have camped before piled into our malibu and drove from WI to yellowstone for about 10 days total. It was trying to say the least but it all worked out and all had a great time.

Some tips I can share for yellowstone, we stayed in mammoth which is first come first serve, I think canyon is a reserved campground so some things might be a little different. Firewood is pretty expensive and you can't just go to the woods and grab it. You get a box of pine scrapes for something like 8 dollars, a box MIGHT last two nights. Bring something to wash your dishes in, you can't dump water on the ground. We used a pail and a square tupperware container. I was just looking at these today, http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...yid=5150&brand=, looks nice and folds up so doesn't take a lot of space. Also bring garbage bags or something so you can get rid of garbage so no bears come. A binoculars is nice, we didn't have one because we had spent a lot of money on other things.

Another thing is it gets COLD at night and HOT during the day, I loved it because I love sleeping in the cold but just be prepared. The campground we stayed at had a really nice grate over the fire pit to cook on, not sure if canyon does also or not.

Portable water container, lighter fluid if you are going to cook on fire, axe for splitting wood, extra tent stakes, rubber mallot, cloths line for drying towels or wet cloths, and I'm sure much more but I haven't camped since last summer so forgetting some things I'm sure.

There is a great spot just past mammoth campground where you can park and walk to the mammoth hot springs. It's a spot where the hot springs pumps out into the river, a natural hot tub! The family loved it and we went there everyday. Also try and bring in ALL the food and drink you will need. They have a couple decent stores but you pay a hefty markup. We stopped at a walmart about an hour away from entering yellowstone to stock the cooler and dry foods and sodas.

I think that's about it for now but I'm sure there are some things I'm forgetting.

Comment

Number one: Two big cans of BEAR SPRAY! One for each of you.
      Insect repellant and citronella candle or other area bug repeller.
      If you have a bow saw or a chain saw, you can stop in Forest service land outside of the park and cut up some deadfall for firewood. Just drive in off the the highway. I pick mine up in Island Park.
      Take a folding shovel and a water bucket for fire containment. Also take a compass or GPS in case you decide to hike and pick up a decent map unless you plan on staying near the road.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010455.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	69287
      Here is a Yellowstone area photo to get you in the mood.
      FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

Besides bear spray, if you plan to hike, even paved and maintained trails, carry a whistle for emergencies with bears. Also a small bell is also good to tie on a day-pack or back-pack. The bell will tell animals where you are, especially bears. Bear spray is a last resort, when a bear charges or bluff charges, and if you have never practiced with bear spray it is used up quickly.

Prices on items in the park are very expensive, so be as prepared as you can be. The best views of wildlife for us has been in the northeast Lamar Valley. Take plenty of pics and share them here when you return. Have fun!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Don't forget the digital camera!

Comment

Mike and Scott -

Thanks for all the helpful information! We have bug spray, sunscreen, and the candles for all the bugs. I'm definitely going to take the digital camera, as I am a photo bug - already have my 32gb SDHC memory card prepared and ready to go!

We'll definitely stock up on firewood before we leave here. I'll also make sure that we have lighter fluid with us as well. We do plan on hiking, so we'll make sure to get the bell. We don't plan on traveling too far off the highlighted hiking trails. My GPS unit has a pedistrian mode, so I'll definitely be putting that in our backpack when we go hiking, in the event that we get lost - we can find our way out to our camp ground.
            We've got a few more items to grab from the store such as, axe and binoclaurs.

I'll make sure to post plenty of photos as well, when I get back.

Scott - when did you guys go camping (time of year) and etc.?

Comment

I will be in YNP next week, so I have been doing a little planning that might be some help.

Make sure you have a good idea of what the weather extremes are going to be. Lately the highs have been in the upper 40s/low 50s and lows in mid 20s to lower 30s. Below is the best site I've found so far for weather forecast, but this is for Yellowstone lake area, which is near where I plan to camp, Bridger Bay. It might be a good idea to look at some of the forum topics on colder weather camping for suggestions. I have 2 stocking hats packed and they helped last month when I was camping in 37-40 degree nights.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ubmit&site=RIW

I would recommend a kettle or coffee pot for use in the morning to help fight the cold. I hate coffee so I have hot cocoa. Also, if you plan to have a fire, make sure you bring fire starter supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by huricanelane View Post
                I will be in YNP next week, so I have been doing a little planning that might be some help.

Make sure you have a good idea of what the weather extremes are going to be. Lately the highs have been in the upper 40s/low 50s and lows in mid 20s to lower 30s. Below is the best site I've found so far for weather forecast, but this is for Yellowstone lake area, which is near where I plan to camp, Bridger Bay. It might be a good idea to look at some of the forum topics on colder weather camping for suggestions. I have 2 stocking hats packed and they helped last month when I was camping in 37-40 degree nights.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ubmit&site=RIW

I would recommend a kettle or coffee pot for use in the morning to help fight the cold. I hate coffee so I have hot cocoa. Also, if you plan to have a fire, make sure you bring fire starter supplies.
                If you are going to Yellowstone next weekend, good luck. There is still eight feet of snow in some areas. The snow melt just began a couple of weeks ago and it snowed as late as last week. Better bring snow shoes!

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                  Besides bear spray, if you plan to hike, even paved and maintained trails, carry a whistle for emergencies with bears. Also a small bell is also good to tie on a day-pack or back-pack. The bell will tell animals where you are, especially bears. Bear spray is a last resort, when a bear charges or bluff charges, and if you have never practiced with bear spray it is used up quickly.

Prices on items in the park are very expensive, so be as prepared as you can be. The best views of wildlife for us has been in the northeast Lamar Valley. Take plenty of pics and share them here when you return. Have fun!
                  How do you tell Griz scat from Black Bear? If you see bells and smell of pepper spray in the scat, it is a Griz!Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020019.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	69288

Comment

I've had my eye on the weather for the last month or so. I'm not too worried. I like cooler weather anyways. I've had to deal with far worse during Elk hunting camp. I'll be bringing a couple pairs of shoes in addition to my hiking shoes. I went camping last month early to prepare with new supplies: new tent, air mattress, etc.

The advantage of going now is that it won't be too busy; people should be nonexistent in the morning. A coworker is planning on going during Sturgis Rally. I can't imagine going then with the park packed. Only downfall is that I hoped to make it to my parents cabin site in the crazy mountains in MT, but there is now way i'd be able to get up there with how wet of a winter and spring it has been.

Comment

The weather shouldn't be too bad, it is just the snow and mud on the ground. It has been a late spring and the ground conditions are going to suck.

Comment

Look for the groups with spotting scopes. Be willing to pull off the road and wait for the animals to come to you. FYI Make sure when you pull off the road that all four of your tires are off the road. You will be ticketed if you are not off the road. This helps keep the flow of traffic moving. Also if you see one buffalo there will be many more around the next turn.

Comment

Here are two posts I made last year about yellowstone, the first before we went and the second post is more of a journal while I was there. It has some good info on where the wildlife is and some other stuff.

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...tone&highlight=

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...tone&highlight=

It was the middle of July when we went.

Comment

from the NPS news release: Last summer, despite record visitation from May through September and a generally poor food year for bears, there were only two conflicts where grizzly bears damaged property or obtained human foods in the park. No visitors were injured by bears in the park during 2010. There has not been a bear-inflicted human injury in the park in more than two years.

Visitors Reminded To Be Bear Aware This Memorial Day Weekend
                            www.nps.govAll visitors to Yellowstone National Park should keep food and garbage stored in a bear-proof manner. Also, visitors should use roadside pullouts and stay in their cars while viewing roadside bears.

Comment

The National Park service released this updated information today for Dunraven P**** Updated Campground information on openings, Sedge Bay delay information (due to erosion), the road south of Canyon Village (erosion issues), Craig Pass (possible closures due to snow), Sylvan Pass information, and more! READ THIS if you are on your way to Yellowstone in the next 2 weeks!
                              http://www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/11044.htm

Beartooth Highway Among Memorial Day Weekend Routes Still Closed
                              www.nps.govSpring visitors to the park are encouraged to have flexible travel plans, and be prepared for a wide range of winter and spring weather conditions. Snow remains on many trails and boardwalks which may limit access in some areas.

Comment

Working...
                              X