Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping at Yellowstone

@ Scott -

We were able to find some firewood here locally in a big ole bag. We decided to get two bags of the firewood. That should do us good for quite a few fires, but we'll see! I'll get some photos posted of the wood - and find out where we bought it from (my wife bought it), so that way you have that informatin available next time you go camping!

@ renodesertfox -

Thanks for the link! I appreciate it. We've been watching it when we can .. when we're not dodging tornados here. We got hit with a tornado the other night, needless to say it got sticky. My main concern was if our camping stuff would still be at our house when we got back from the shelter, lol!

I'll be reviewing all of this stuff come Wednesday of next week and calling the Wyoming and confirming on Yellowstone's page about the road closures. We're camping up in Canyon, and we're going to be coming through from Casper, Wy.

Comment

One bundle of firewood will barely be one fire.

It's amazining how fast it goes when it is cold out. Seem to last alot longer here in Florida....

Comment

Problem is those bundles typically use softwood. We cut our own hardwood (eucalyptus, just about the same as oak) and find if we use hardwood we can get by on about 1/3 vs. the commercial bundles.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks for the links Red. I've been taking a look at the weather a couple times a day. I will be arriving on Monday, so the rest of the week looks like good weather, so far at least.

Originally I was going to be coming from into YNP through the East entrance. Due to all the rain, the family reunion I was going to go to first was canceled, so I'm off to my folks place first in MT and will come in through the North Entrance. I'm hoping the old man has some firewood I can steal, I don't want to bring mine that far.

Comment

There is FLOODING along I-90 (Interstate 90) in Montana. Please check your routes before driving.
            MONTANA Road Conditions and Construction information
            Montana ROAD CONDITIONS - 1-800-226-7623
            If you are in MT you can dial 511 for travel information.
            MT Road Conditions and Closures report.

good luck
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

The whole state is flooding:-) There are closures and detours all over the place in MT and SD right now. My Aunt and Uncle work on a ranch and have worked there since before I was born, so going on over 30 years. This year the creek that runs by the house has flooded so much they are cut off from civilization from both the west and east. Only way they can get out is taking the "back roads." Back roads there are not paved, not gravel, they are the country paths they use to look in on the cattle. Normal trek to town is over 40 minutes. I think is at least doubled now.

I'll be checking the conditions of everything Sunday night before I leave the parents place Monday morning. With more rain forecast for this weekend, who knows what will change.

Comment

Pard, keep us posted as best as you can. When you return give us a full report! Your words will be golden!

btw: I got three kids myself living in "the land of 10,000 lakes. one in St. Cloud, one just west of the twin cities and one just east of Hinckey! Just wanted you to know. Good luck camping and stayin dry!

Comment

Good luck camping up here! Rain and snow on and off, all weekend.
                  FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

Wish I could go....sounds delightful! Magnificent country! Words just won't do........

Comment

Ahhh Reno, that is just beautiful. Is that a photo you captured at Yellowstone?

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                        Problem is those bundles typically use softwood. We cut our own hardwood (eucalyptus, just about the same as oak) and find if we use hardwood we can get by on about 1/3 vs. the commercial bundles.
                        TP - thanks for being concerned.

Here are the photos of the wood that we ended up getting.

Comment

Yes! Last time we camped there was 2008! I used a Nikon D80 w/Nikkor 400mm lens. Thanks for askin!

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                            Yes! Last time we camped there was 2008! I used a Nikon D80 w/Nikkor 400mm lens. Thanks for askin!
                            Nice, I have a Nikon D40 with a telephoto/macro lens, then the kit lens as well. I'm hoping to get some fantastic photos for sure!

Comment

I've posted a journal of our adventures to Yellowstone...Here's the link

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ed=1#post12848

Comment

@hurricanelane - did you guys make it to Yellowstone and if so, how was your trip?

Comment

Working...
                                X