Wet Weather Camping, Rain, Snow, Whatever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wet Weather Camping, Rain, Snow, Whatever

Ceomom & Sumisez - I've been wondering the same.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

You use a hack-saw and cut the end that would screw onto the paint brush. The Flibitygiget also comes a small threaded bolt and washer. Supposedly one is suppose to drill a hole in the end of an extension pole and through the base of the Flibitygiget and thread the bolt through the pole and the end of the Flibitygiget. Instead, what I'm doing in wrapping the end of the Flibitygiget with duck-tape to make it a snug fit, then wrapping more duck-tape around the pole and the Flibitygiget to secure the two together. I do not have the space in my garage for a vice to hold the pole in-place while I drill a hole, nor the space to lay out an extension pole.

Extension poles aren't in-expensive either but Ace Hardware sells 4' to extension of 8' for $17 and change. I also found on Ebay extension poles for $9.50 a piece but the shipping is $15. I'm planning on purchasing five more Flibities and more poles to raise our 12' x 30' tarp over the Kodiak Canvas Tent in November when we hit the stormy coast of northern California in November. That'll be a fair test, winds we clocked last December reached a speed of 66 knots. BTW: I'm also weaning myself off the meds I've been taking for 15 years since my recovery from surgery is now in its third year. Lifting weights, hiking more. I'm feeling better everyday!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

We have a Columbia Bugaboo II which has kept us cozy and dry at night, and a 10x10 EZ up canopy. We also have loads of tarps but haven't had to hang them due to downpours yet. Our last trip we just experienced sprinkles.

Comment

RDF - thank you for the directions on how to do this ...

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
          You use a hack-saw and cut the end that would screw onto the paint brush. The Flibitygiget also comes a small threaded bolt and washer. Supposedly one is suppose to drill a hole in the end of an extension pole and through the base of the Flibitygiget and thread the bolt through the pole and the end of the Flibitygiget. Instead, what I'm doing in wrapping the end of the Flibitygiget with duck-tape to make it a snug fit, then wrapping more duck-tape around the pole and the Flibitygiget to secure the two together. I do not have the space in my garage for a vice to hold the pole in-place while I drill a hole, nor the space to lay out an extension pole.
          Nor do I have a hack saw or a drill.

Comment

I will try to post a video today or tomorrow on how to mount the Flibitygiget. A vise is really not needed, I don't use one, and mounting it internal to the pole is far stronger. That is why the Flibitygiget does not have a female threaded end. When used as a support pole for the tarps, you will want it to be as strong as possible. The Flibitygiget is actually designed to be stronger than the pole.

For anyone that does not have a drill, if you take the Flibitygiget to the hardware store or Home Depot when you buy the pole, I am pretty sure that one of their people would drill the hole for you, probably at no charge, they may even do it at no charge even if you didn't buy the pole there. However having a small power drill is a good thing especially if you are a home owner, they can be had used for about $10, check craigslist.com in your area.
            Staying DRY is what it is all about and a little shade from a hot sun isn’t bad either. www.Flibitygiget.com

Comment

Just got a vid posted to youtube on how to install the Flibitygiget onto an extension pole, it can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjihOV3VdLM

Hope to have it posted on our site Flibitygiget.com before long.

Thanks all for your support.
              Staying DRY is what it is all about and a little shade from a hot sun isn’t bad either. www.Flibitygiget.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flibitygiget View Post
                Just got a vid posted to youtube on how to install the Flibitygiget onto an extension pole, it can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjihOV3VdLM

Hope to have it posted on our site Flibitygiget.com before long.

Thanks all for your support.
                Thanks for the video! Appreciate it!
                "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Thank you also from me! Drilling and securing makes the Flibitygiget very sturdy! I stand corrected and feel good about it! Thanks pard!
                  Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                  Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

The videos helped a lot - thank you! I bought two. Heck with tarps, I think it will solve how to hang a bear bag!

Comment

Excellent how-to. Thanks for making it easy to understand.

Comment

Glad you liked it and that it helped, I should have done it earlier but guess better late than never.

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
                        The videos helped a lot - thank you! I bought two. Heck with tarps, I think it will solve how to hang a bear bag!
                        Funny thing that you should mention that, just did a vid yesterday about hanging foodstuffs out of reach, will have it on the web today, I hope.

Comment

A stupid question...

Im see that some of you have poles holding up your tarps... What do you use and where can I find them?

Comment

Hey BigDaveyL,

The poles that we use on the Flibitygiget are the painter type extendable poles that you can get at most home supply or hardware stores like Homedepot, Lowes or ACE Hardware. Last time I checked ACE had the best price and would ship free to you local ACE if they were not in stock. We use the 3-6' and 7-14' poles.

Comment

Working...
                            X