Buying used: Pros-Cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying used: Pros-Cons

Okay, my main obsession takes me to many, many yard/garage sales. I never give 'tents' a second look. Until Saturday. I have to adimit I had an impulse buy, and I think that it is going to turn out okay in the long run. I purchased a Ketly Moab 89023 for 20 bucks. This tent is 17x10 and close to 7 feet at the center. Screen room off the front. It is in perfect shape but I was kicking myself and I will tell you why, in list form:

Used tents may or may not
    1. Have been used by a smoker. (not an insult-non smokers pick on this right away)
    2. Have irreversable UV or seam damage
    3. Missing parts that are unavailable.
    4. Have flaws in design unknown to you-like poles that fail at weak spots and been discontinued.

Used tent pros:

1. They are inexpensive.

They rainfly is missing, and the owner is looking for it for me. I did not realize this until I got it home (he said it was all there but...). I called the company(Ridgeway they make tents for around 4 companies now like Wentzle and Eddie Bauer) and guess what? My tent dates from 2001! No rainfly available. They said they keep parts for about 5 years. Looking at reviews I see the pole can fail at the D ring point, so if I ever take it, i better go prepaired for a failure fix.

I can't stress enough, if you are going to be camping a great deal, you owe it to yourself to get something nice. The extra cost will be absorbed in the first few outings. You will get what you pay for. For my family of 7, this was a good deal, wife really likes it, said if nothing else it would make a great screen room! We are nominal campers, going a couple times a year at best.

I really need to reign in my impulse buys. Anyway it went up down and in the bag super easy. Looks like a pool liner on the ground lol

P.S. Moab is Keltic for 'Tent which blocketh out the Sun"

Re: Buying used: Pros-Cons

I found a tent on craigslist a while back. I wanted something to get us by on a few outings till I gathered up the lute to get a nice one. The lady wanted $60 for it and before I got off the phone I had her down to $45. I drove the 45 minutes to her place and when I got there, she said she wasn't positive that everything was there. I asked to pull it all out and check and she said everyone in the house had the flu and she'd rather not. She told me to just take it, no charge. I took it home and immediately pulled it out and set it up. It was all there. I promptly called her back and offered to pay her for it and she refused. She said I drove too far to get it and to have fun with it. On our first outing, we drove within 3 miles of her place, so I stopped by a store and snatched up some flowers, a card and a $30 gift card. I put it on her porch, rang the bell and took off. When we got home, I had a heartfelt message on my answering system and a tearful thank you. Her husband had passed. We still use the tent. Every time I set it up, I have to tell the story about the tent. Even if it's just the wife and kids that have heard it every time.

Comment

You're a real humanitarian, familycamper!!!!

I haven't bought a tent online yet, although this past weekend, I was tempted. My youngest sister has decided to join us at the site for a week and has nary a bit of camping gear. Saw a family tent on CL and thought that could be the answer to her problem. The ad said it had been used once. Never saw it to confirm as a camping buddy opted to lend me his much smaller tent for the week. Were that CL tent still an option and a purchase for self, I'd have treated it like any other CL purchase: go over it with a fine tooth comb, note any defects and decide to buy or not accordingly.
      I will point out that I am a smoker but errrrrrr not so far gone that I'd smoke in a tent. I suspect anyone that silly wouldn't have it long enough to sell it . I'll be honest; never gave any thought to UV staying power and you've given me something to think about.

Weak poles and missing stakes are easy enough to buy so unless replacement costs were exorbitant I'd just ignore that assuming the initial garage sale/flea market/CL cost was low enough. I'd also look at the cleanliness of the merchandise which could give clues as to how the original owner treated their equipment, on and off the field.

I've been very satisfied with the 2ndhand equipment I've bought so far which includes a cooler, grill and heater to date.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Here is a couple pictures Of the Kelty

Comment

Originally posted by familycamper View Post
          On our first outing, we drove within 3 miles of her place, so I stopped by a store and snatched up some flowers, a card and a $30 gift card. I put it on her porch, rang the bell and took off. When we got home, I had a heartfelt message on my answering system and a tearful thank you. Her husband had passed. We still use the tent. Every time I set it up, I have to tell the story about the tent. Even if it's just the wife and kids that have heard it every time.
          What a heartwarming story. Everything happens for a reason and it sounds to me that you were meant to go back there and leave her some flowers. You brought her some sunshine right when she needed it.

Ramaniac: Love the little one in his undies! Too cute!
          "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
          ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Working...
          X