Quest for the Perfect Tent Stake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest for the Perfect Tent Stake?

Hand-in-hand with the idea of the best tent for strong winds, here's my quest for the perfect tent stake.

Tent stakes are a very important investment when preparing for an outdoors adventure. The choices made on stakes can determine whether your outdoor home is a wonderful base camp or a literal flop. There are a wide variety of stakes made of different materials and cast in a large number of shapes and sizes. Often, the choices may seem overwhelming. Solid knowledge of the campsites you plan to frequent and basic details of your tent are the main requirements for determining the tent stakes that will best suit your needs.
      • Determine the soil composition and texture for the areas where you are most likely to camp. Sandy, dry areas require different stakes from clay hillsides or forested regions. Websites such as Trails.com can provide this information if you do not have firsthand experience.

• Use your knowledge of the area's local soil composition to determine the necessary material for the stakes. Metal stakes are required for packed soil and clay. Choose plastic for low-impact camping in forested regions or grassy areas where metal is likely to slip loose.

• Choose the type of stake based on the weather conditions of your campsite. Hook stakes are necessary in areas where winds may blow tents off their moorings. Use double-headed stakes in areas where the weather may be rainy or snow-packed as they will hold better against these conditions. Auger stakes are a special type of stake that burrows deep in loose sand or grit.

• Pick the length of stake based on the height of your tent. Tents under four feet tall can use smaller stakes, around 18 inches in length. Tents between four and six feet typically require 24- to 32-inch stakes. The largest tents, those over six feet, may need stakes up to 42 inches to safely anchor them.

• Purchase quality tent stakes from local distributors or stores. This will allow you to make good use of their warranties and policies should you find flaws such as cracked stakes or need to make a return. Many stores carry multiple lines of stakes, all with their own warranties on top of those of the store.

• Never pull a stake from the ground using the flap or catch from the tent. This will rip the catch and can lead to costly replacements. Use a mallet with a stake remover if the stake will not come out with a simple pull.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Quest for the Perfect Tent Stake?

Your last work of advise is the best gem! Never pull your stake using the tent loop!
    I have found that for large tents, I like very large corner stakes. I also purchase a number of longer stakes for areas where I the ground is too loose for a good hold with the 10-12" stakes.
    FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

We always bring 2 rubber mallets with stake pullers on the end. That way, when it's time to pack up, the two of us can take two sides of the tent and the screen house. It makes breaking camp quicker.
      "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
      ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

I actually have quite a collection of different types already. Even though my experience isn't near what some of you guys have, I can still remember my dad carrying on about the tent stakes when I was a kid.

Here in MO, even though it's not a very big state, we have a wide variety of soils. Around my area it's mostly just plain old dirt that will retain quite a bit of moisture. But go to the SE or east central part of the state and it's more clay. Go central to south central and it's very rocky. And depending on where else you go it can be rather sandy.

It's a pretty cheap investment, so I've got a few to choose from. Might even use two different types at a time.

Comment

We carry a variety of types of stakes for the cook/ screen tent and shower portalet, Some sites have sand/gravel/rock fill, others may be soil while others are sandy. 10' spikes work well in rocky ground. In addition we have some larger heavier stakes with wider x-section to use at the corners in high winds.
          The canopy on the HTT is secured with heavy steel stakes, 1'2 diam and ropes.
          I know it sounds like a hassle humping all the extra stakes but when the weather gets nasty it is well worth the trouble.
          As for pulling stakes- I bought an el cheapo carpenters hammer from Menards and used an angle grinder to open up the claw at the tips to accommodate the stakes.

Comment

I think that my favorite steak is a ribeye!

Comment

+1 on carrying a variety of stake; I seem to be acquiring quite a collection. Still too new to determine best ones to use. The "soil" I've encountered ranges from the gravel hard pack of developed tent pad/sites; sand; mud; forest soil baked dry from the heat; and some "regular" soil - I didn't think to use plastic stakes in those cases (thank you for the suggestion!).

I can say for certainty though that the flimsy metal stakes that came with a Target tent are not the ones to use at gravel-packed sites.
              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Good topic. I've wondered about this as well. I bought the yellow ABS plastic stakes last year, thinking I heard they were indestructible. No they are not. Our favorite campsite has rock hard dirt. So hard that I break/bend those ABS stakes regularly. Last time we went I was only able to stake down 3 spots (the tent has 8). Weather was nice so no big deal. Would've been trouble if it got windy.

Sounds like I need a good quality metal stake, is that right? Not the ones that came with the tent.

Comment

Most of my stakes are those big nails with the plastic ends. They will drive thru anything. I think they are 4 for $3 at Walmart or you can buy them in bulk.

Comment

I used to use the big nails with the plastic ends, and the yellow plastic ones. I have since switched to the aluminum tubular kind because they are just as strong, but more importantly they are much lighter when you have a bunch. The Al ones with the three fins are not very strong, and bend easily.

I have a loop of line on all stakes and I have a puller I made as well.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	stake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	69333
                    Last edited by Johnny Test; 06-17-2011, 08:07 AM.

Comment

The Sportsman's Guide catalog has the "Mother of All Tent Stakes"......

www.sportsmansguide.com

Six for $25 - US GI issue, 12" long heavy duty galvanized steel! Item # F1M-204909. Includes a 4.5" long line with hook attached to each one. These babies will laugh at the rocky Alabama soil, and still hold up to Florida sand, methinks! I'm going to order a set or two. I am tired of shattering the yellow plastic type, and having the metal wire type pull out of sandy soil!

HOORAH!! :cool:
                      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                      X