Favorite Canvas Tents and Manufactures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Canvas Tents and Manufactures

I thought I would start a thread and find out how many of you still have and use a canvas tent. I love mine. I find it cooler in hot weather, better able to hold in the heat in winter and more available room. It is also much sturdier in bad weather.
    Mine is a wall tent manufacured by Montana Canvas http://www.montanacanvas.com/ .
    I have found the design and quality to be excellent. THe obvious down side to canvas is it's weight. My entire setup with poles weights in at almost 250 lbs. A backpacker's nightmare. But if you can drive up and drop at the camp site, it's great. I don't use mine for campouts of less than four days because it takes me a couple of hours to set it up, but it is worth it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010442.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	72434

Mine is a 12 X 17 foot main canvas tent with a sewn in floor. It has 2 opposite side windows (w/ screens), front and back doors (with screened doors) and a stove jack.
    It has a camo rain fly. It also has an additional 12 X 12 cookshack that is floorless and butts py against the front of the tent. The cook shack is made of the same camo lightweight synthetic material as the rainfly and has an additional stovejack. The cookshack also has 2 opposite side windows (w/ sreens) and a front door and screen door as well. There is 29 feet of metal framework that holds this whole thing up with a 9 foot peak roof height. The tent packs into four large canvas bags.
    So, any of you canvas guys out there, what do you have?
    FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Re: Favorite Canvas Tents and Manufactures

Mine is a Kodiak Canvas Cabin Wall Tent. We too, love canvas! I'm not packing as much weight as you: poles-52 lbs. Tent-51 lbs. Takes a little over an hour to pitch it and 30-45minutes to strike it! It's 9x12 with the cook shack attached to the front 9x8.' We, like you, prefer to stay out camping at least four nights at a time....personally I prefer camping 15 nights at a whack, but last time I did that, there was way too much happening here at CF. See, we camp to get away and take no phones with us, no computers, and if it was up to me certainly not an Ipod, but my bride has to have music at night and she doesn't like my singing! If you look around in the photo gallery or on my profile page and look at some old albums you'll see our tent....ah, what the heck here's another look!

Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Here's another view with the screen up.

Comment

Nice rig! And a leaf rake too! That is one of the few things I haven't taken!

Comment

That tent looks fabulous! Thanks for the pics.
          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Thanks guys, your comments are appreciated! Yep, we always take a leaf rake, helps keep the grounds of any campsite tidy. Also comes in handy for raking up other people's garbage too. We always leave any campsite, better than we found it, dispersed or organized! It's the right thing to do.

Comment

Reno, love your tent setup! Very, very nice!

We always bring a rake, broom, and dustpan and brush. We don't like messy campsites either.
              "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
              ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                Thanks guys, your comments are appreciated! Yep, we always take a leaf rake, helps keep the grounds of any campsite tidy. Also comes in handy for raking up other people's garbage too. We always leave any campsite, better than we found it, dispersed or organized! It's the right thing to do.
                I absolutely agree. Since I don't camp in campgrounds, my goal is to leave no sign of my camp for the following spring, with the exception of stumps of the deadfall that I cut for firewood with my chainsaw.

Comment

Working...
                X