Okay...tent's up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay...tent's up.

We put up out tent today for the first time. The rain fly touches the tent on the sides...do I need to move the stakes that secure the rain fly further away?

Click image for larger version

Name:	tent.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	72435

Re: Okay...tent's up.

Try it and see if that it helps.
    FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

Yes!

If you want, if you've already seam sealed your tent, then take your garden hose and pretend it's raining. It' your call, but from the image you posted, the fly only covers the top 2/3 of the tent. I certainly would re-stake the fly. Just my $0.02.
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I have not sealed the seams yet. My daughter and her 2 friends are sleeping in it tonight and it has been a very crazy busy day so I didn't have the chance to do it. I did buy the seam seal stuff and plan to do it before we do our own camping tho. I read somewhere that the rain fly shouldn't touch the tent. IDK...we will learn through experience.

Comment

You can pick up a tarp that covers the length of the tent. Some extra rope and stakes and in the event of severe weather, you can tarp over the rain fly, extending the tarp over the exposed sides. Camping is about adapting to conditions. It looks like a nice roomy tent. Take it out and have some fun!
          FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

From my experience of camping during storms, I wouldn't trust that little rain fly to keep you dry.

Personally, I'd like a nice huge tarp over the tent, that directed the water away from the base of the tent. This would keep the walls and the floor dry.
            "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
            ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Take a look at some of the pics here: http://www.world-interactive.com/

and on the thread http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...Whatever/page3

You will get an idea how to have a nice dry camping experience.

I feel that tarps are far better than any rainfly or most any tent for that matter for keeping dry while camping. Many people use them and each has their own configuration that works for them.
              Staying DRY is what it is all about and a little shade from a hot sun isn’t bad either. www.Flibitygiget.com

Comment

Well...my daughter and her frienda made the whole night in the tent and she told me earlier that it was the best sleepover she ever had and she wants to do it again. =) I will look into an extra tarp. I'd like to get something large enough to cover the tent and still have some outdoor space to lounge if it does rain. I'm really looking forward to this and I can't thank you all enough for all the little tips I've been getting. BTW... I read here to use dryer lint to start a fire...I did it last night so the girls could make smores....lit right away. Consider me saving dryer lint from now on. lol

Comment

With dryer lint, one can stuff it in empty toilet paper rolls too! That also lights easily. Just a suggestion.

Happy that everything was a success!
                  Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                  Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I have that tent and you should put the stakes out a bit farther until it pulls the fly away from main tent. If you don't seal seams you will probably get wet. I sealed mine inside and out and have been happy with it. No complaints about wind blowing under rainfly. You will have to zip door and rear windows most of the way closed if it's blowing really bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X