Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tents at Walmart

Hello everyone,
    hope this post finds you well. This is my 2nd posting here and I wanted to start off by talking about tents.In paticular, family tents.
    I have been doing the "family" camping in a tent for several years now and we really enjoy it. I started out a few years back by buying a cheaper Ozark Trail tent at Walmart.And while that was sufficient so far, we are ready to step up in quality to a bigger and better tent.
    For me, I would rather "NOT" buy another tent at any of the retail stores,Walmart,Kmart,Sears etc...But the wife isn't convienced,so it seems. Thats theres any difference between those tents and what you'd see at the Outlet stores (Coleman for example). Was wondering if you guys have any info on this for me. Maybe you could provide some links too,if any. I haven't found anything solid on the web yet.
    Thanks for any info
    Last edited by WayneMan117; 06-26-2011, 09:57 AM.

Re: Tents at Walmart

Since you like camping and are going to be doing it, may as well buy it right this time. Starting off with Wally World tents is an excellent idea, if you are new and not going to know if you like it or not. Others will chime and give you opinons. What they really need to know is how many people (ie: what size), what type of camping you are going to be doing (car, backpacking etc) and what type of weather you will encouter. GIve them as much info as possible and you will get better results.
    I will limit my advice to "Buy it right this time"

Comment

Originally posted by shawnbebout View Post
      Since you like camping and are going to be doing it, may as well buy it right this time. Starting off with Wally World tents is an excellent idea, if you are new and not going to know if you like it or not. Others will chime and give you opinons. What they really need to know is how many people (ie: what size), what type of camping you are going to be doing (car, backpacking etc) and what type of weather you will encouter. GIve them as much info as possible and you will get better results.
      I will limit my advice to "Buy it right this time"
      Thanks for your response...
      1st off,theres 4 of us...(2 small kids)-for the wife,SIZE MATTERS MOST. For me, QUALITY. Most of the time,we're staying at Campgrounds,so
      weight is of no concern for me. I want great durabilty that will hold up well in bad weather (rain,wind,etc..) We usally DO take alot of stuff w/
      us,so I know anything less than a 6 person tent "ISN'T" going work. In fact,the one we have our eyes on are.....
      http://store.eurekatent.com/copper-canyon-1512-tent

http://www.basspro.com/Coleman-Vacat...SELL_THUMBNAIL

http://www.basspro.com/Coleman-Signa...10450/-1765741

they're not the only 3, but the main 3 we're looking at. When it comes to weather,more times than not...its HOT.-(very)

Let me know if you need any other info.

Comment

I have used Coleman from Wal-Mart and elsewhere 9 years now. They are all made with the same material and meet Coleman specs. They make particular models for different stores. So whether you pay 80 at Wally's or 120 at Dick's for the same size tent with a different name you are getting the same so I choose to buy cheaper and save a few. To some money is no object and they buy more expesive gear which to me isn't always needed. Just get something that will fit your family and budget.Go and enjoy our great outdoors by tent camping!!

Comment

I have a huge 3 room Coleman tent I bought at Walmart about 8 years ago. Never an issue with it. The last couple of years, it's only seen daylight about 6 times a year. Back in Texas, it was out nearly every weekend. I always have a tarp under it.(A big key to any tent lasting longer) I think I paid around 140 bux for it back then. When this one gets tired, I'll buy another Coleman.

Comment

I recently bought this tent from L. L. Bean, for my extended camping trips in the summer and I. LOVE. IT.
            http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68613?feat=2-SR0
            They have a 6-person version, which probably would be better for you. What I especially liked about this is the screen room. It gives me a place to hang out and not get bitten alive by bugs. The tent is actually much better ventilated than shown - both the front and back door of the regular area of the tent are huge screen doors with a zipped cover. It held up very well in the rain - not a drop inside! (well, the first night I didn't zip the cover on one of the screen room sides, so obviously it did get some rain in it.) No condensation issues either. I was able to set up the 4-person version by myself.
            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Don't know if you have a Sports Authority in your area, but I scored the biggest Coleman Sundome they make for 50% off in their clearance section. I really wanted to get a Eureka, but they're quite a bit more. I figured at this price I'd use the Coleman for a year or two and then donate it to my daughter and her kids or something and upgrade myself. I'm really pleasantly surprised at how well it's made. It's a fine warm weather tent.

The Uncle Sams store up the road has a Copper Canyon on display. That's a REALLY cool tent!

Comment

Working...
              X