Review of my Columbia Bugaboo II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of my Columbia Bugaboo II

In late June we went camping at Lamoine State Park for our 9th anniversary. Lamoine is near Acadia National Park, but is very affordable for camping. Maine resident rates are $15 a night. If you've never been to the Acadia area, you totally need to go. Camping close to the national park at private campgrounds is $35+, and the 2 campgrounds in the national park have no amenities like showers or flush toilets, and are around $25 a night, last I checked.

We had never camped in our Bugaboo II till this trip, though I had set it up by myself a few times before. I can do it alone in about half an hour, but with my husband's help, we had it all pitched in under 15 minutes. He had never set it up before so he had no idea where the poles, etc. went, so next time I hope it will be a bit quicker.

The tent is 9x14, but it has some funky corners so the floor space isn't really quite that much. There are a couple corners good for tossing your gear or shoes, but you can't stand up there. The center of the tent is about 6' high, but the back wall slopes quickly so you really can only stand up straight right in the middle and near the front. We had room for a raised airbed, though it was very close to the back wall, and at the end of the airbed we had about a 3'x6' section or so for our gear and room to stand and change, etc.

The back wall is entirely screen, and there is a large window at each end, plus you can open the window in the door. The tent also has 2 small "cyclone" vents, one at each end that allow air in near the floor but water doesn't get in if it rains. The rainfly is full cover. The rainfly can be tied back on the ends and on the back to provide tons of air, but I'm afraid I'd forget they were open and leave the site and everything would get rained on! (that's the kind of luck I have.) The zipper on the door is annoying and sometimes gets stuck. You need 2 hands for the door.

It rained our last night and we were completely dry. When we had to pack up the next morning, we brushed the water off with a towel and packed everything up. (we of course opened it up at home and hung the tent up to dry just to be safe.)

We like the gear pockets in the corners. Gives us a place for watches and wallets and phones and glasses in the night. There's a hook in the ceiling to hang a lantern (or the gear loft which we didn't use). We hung one of our headlamps from it since we didn't have a lantern for the tent. (we do now, though!)

In all, we like our tent very much. I wish it were a bit wider and the ceiling were less sloped so we could stand up inside better. If I could find a double airbed instead of a queen, that would give us a few more inches, but they don't seem to make a double-sized raised airbed, at least not that I've found! These few inconveniences aren't enough to make me dislike the tent. It was $50 at Cabela's in the Bargain Cave so I think it was money well spent! If/when our family grows, we'll probably need something a bit bigger, or in a cabin shape instead of a dome, but for now it suits us fine. And when we do need a different tent, I bet I can sell this one for around $50ish on Craigslist!

Re: Review of my Columbia Bugaboo II

Wow!!! $50 - that's fantastic. Glad it worked out well for you!
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Cool review. Glad you like it.

BTW, they do make a full size raised air bed. They have them at Amazon.com

Comment

I always come across deals like that when I don't have any money. :p
        "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
        ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

They make a full sized airbed? Really? Where were they a year ago when I was shopping for one? Sigh. Oh well. My airbed actually cost more than the tent did! (I was planning on spending up to $200 on a tent, but since it was just $50, I got the comfy airbed too! We travel a lot and end up on friends' floors and church basements pretty frequently, so it makes a comfy bed where ever we go!)

Comment

I've seen fulls/doubles at Dick's.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	our tent.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	69355I have the Bugaboo II too and I love it! I'm short 5'3, so standing up isn't a problem for me. We've used this tent in the rain and wind and it held up well. I can get it set up, by myself, in about 15 minutes. I use a plastic tent stake and tie it around one of the loops on the back of the rainfly and throw it over! Works ever time . I just wish it had a "larger" vestibule. And ... you got a great deal, 'cause I paid a lot more than $50 for it 2 years ago. It is my favorite of all the tents I own. I have about 4. Actually, I like my Sierra Designs two person, 3 season tent when it's just me and the dog, but when there are more people going with me this is my fave.
              Last edited by trishaz717; 07-14-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I bought this tent this spring and I have mix feelings about it. I bought it because of the standing room and because of the ventilation claims. I've had it on 3 or 4 camping trips this year and every time when setting up the wind would catch it and interfere. I even tried staking it on a corner or two, but once I would get 2 of the 4 poles in, the smallest bit of wind would send it moving. every setup took a minimum of an hour each time. Each time I was setting it up on my own.

My last trip was a 3 night stay. on the 3 night when I returned to my tent, it had blown over, putting several tears in the rain fly. That trip a hole was also discovered in the floor, I believe from the wind blowing it around during setup.

I have since bought a patch kit, and also another tent to replace it. I have purchased better stakes, but those were in use the last trip as well. I probably will not use this tent except on multiple night stays, due to the trouble I've had setting it up.

Comment

We purchased the original Bugaboo about 3 years ago (or more), and we have camped many times in north Georgia, North Carolina and a few times in north Florida. We have had rain, sleet, light snow, hail, major wind and nasty thunderstorms. We have nothing but praise for this tent. We have a queen air mattress but have used one full and one twin when we had a 3rd person. We now have 2 dogs and the little doors on either side of thge vestibule and perfect for doggy doors!

Comment

Working...
                  X