No announcement yet.

Water Storage & Transport for Camping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Storage & Transport for Camping.

Howdy,

When one thinks about water, gotta have it, gotta cook with it, and how come my canteen always leaks and don't play in the water come to mind. Camping, tent car or by jeep is an evolutionary adventure. But I think we have found the perfect little package to carry water in and it doesn't spill, it's not too heavy but this company makes water storage bottles that have wheels and we found it at Wal-Mart in the online store and Wal-Mart will ship to your closest store for free so all you have to do is pick it up.

It holds 4 gallons of water and has a large cap and openning. It is rugged, food-approved polymer with no plastic taste(someone should pay me to write this stuff). The storage device is just excellent. It even has a hidaway spigot with on/off tap that hasn't ever broken or got clogged with dirt. If you are smart it won't roll off your table or boulder and get that way. The spigot is safely stored in the container. Unscrew the cap from the container, unscrew the spigot from the cap, fill with H2O. Replace the cap on the container and re-screw spigot into the top of the cap. Place the container on it's side, open the air vent plug and open the tap to pout. How easy is that! The company is name Reliance and Wal-mart carries it!
    Attached Files
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Water Storage

Howdy,

And if you can't carry 4 gallons of H2O for more than 10 feet, get yourself a luggage carrier and Wal-Mart sells them too!
    Attached Files

Comment

That looks pretty cool! Was wondering how you carried it around, though - although I assume you don't have to refill it much, at the campsite. We continue to use the collapsible bladders. They're pretty easy to refill, although they're not too durable.

Comment

Water Bladders

Howdy Scrib,

Got any cold weather you want to send down here 2' from hello. We are going out again this weekend just to use this 4 gallon baby again. We love it and it didn't cost an arm or a leg. I've used those bladders and they can be a lot of hassle. Hey, I caught your thread on philosoman, and I really like what you told him...right out of Crosby, Stills, & Nash: "Teach Your Children." Man I like your thoughts! Gotta go camp!

Comment

Cool! I use the Reliance 7-gallon water cubes for home emergency water storage - but they are too big usually for camping.
          I have two 1.25 gallon clear flat water jugs, that I can carry on the bike - gets me through a long weekend. I carry a couple GI canteens in my tank panniers (always!), and a 2-liter hydration pack for longer rides. One thing I found out quick....

NEVER put your water containers on the ground in drought conditions! The fire ants were thirsty, and swarmed over my hydration pack to get the condensation! Just a part of camping in the Deep South....

My WalMart has a pretty good 'outdoors/camping' section - they may have this 4-gallon water jug.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Water Storage

Howdy Bigdog,

Thanks for commenting!!!

Comment

Re: Water Storage & Transport for Camping.

With my space constraints I hafta rely on collapsable bladders unless I make space jettisoning...hate to give up any more creature comforts for that. I also use a prod I got at WallyWorld called Aquasack....so far I like it better than the bladders for setting on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningman View Post
                With my space constraints I hafta rely on collapsable bladders unless I make space jettisoning...hate to give up any more creature comforts for that. I also use a prod I got at WallyWorld called Aquasack....so far I like it better than the bladders for setting on the table.
                That is what my concern is. I use a sawyer all in one filter, a collapsible container. Fill it up when I get there and refill as needed from the lake.
                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I guess I'm just easily amused cuz I'm chuckling at this. You guys are talking small and compact when I've been trying to find a local supplier for a 15 gallon Deldrum (a specific type of plastic barrel). I've got just about all the plumbing ready to have a combination shower and hand/dish washing station together but don't want to pay the crazy high price for a freight shipment.

Comment

Hmm. My method is, I fill the appropriate number of gallon jugs (milk jugs or what have you), freeze them, and place them in the cooler in lieu of purchasing ice. As the water melts, I use it. I wouldn't want to shower with it, tho' !
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I guess this is further proof there's more than one way to skin a cat!!

@MacGyver....there is no 'off switch' to your tinkering mode is there?

I bought one of those sawyer filters....its still in the package....not really sure why i havent used it other than I havent felt the need to.

Comment

For about $10.00 @, our Walmart carries the Reliance tall and skinny 6 gallon containers, made in canada. They're far better than the short square Reliance cubes because their tall size fits better for travel, i.e.; behind a car seat.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

@MacGyver....there is no 'off switch' to your tinkering mode is there?
                          With the light 15 feet in the air there's no reaching it so I didn't see a need for one. I just disconnect it from the battery.

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                          For about $10.00 @, our Walmart carries the Reliance tall and skinny 6 gallon containers, made in canada.
                          I just bought one of those on my way to camping when I realized I somehow managed to leave my containers home. The size is good, but compared to the one I had years ago, I can see that they've gotten pretty lame with thin plastic and an equally chintzy washer to seal the spout. I'd recommend going with the Igloo version (like the one I left home :grrrrrr. They cost more, but they're worth it.

Last edited by MacGyver; 12-31-2015, 05:22 AM.

Comment

I bought one of those sawyer filters....its still in the package....not really sure why i havent used it other than I havent felt the need to.
                            I use mine often. When I am hiking, atv riding and camping. No more need to carry extra water. My hydration bladder is 2L, so I can just refill it. If you don't like the taste of the water, there are plenty of ways to flavor it. My daughter prefers the squeeze country time lemonade.
                            Nights camped in 2019: 24
                            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I too got tired of water bags and light duty containers...
                              ...here's a couple of French wine tins (stackable) and some scepter cans...
                              Enjoy!
                              Attached Files
                              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
                              X