What tent do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What tent do you use?

My family uses the now discontinued Coleman Riverside 6. It works pretty well for my family of 4, though, now that my kids are getting bigger, it is getting a little cramped. We had it out this past weekend, temps were in the mid 30's here in PA. Wind was blowing, but we didn't feel it.Click image for larger version

Name:	Casa-D'Oswald-Granite-Hill.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	69402

Comment

We have a Columbia Bugaboo II (My avatar). It's been through a couple rough storms and rain and we stayed warm and dry. We moved from camping in an ancient pop up to this tent, and my husband likes it better. Nothing to tow, room to stand and move inside, and with 2 of us it sets up in about 10 minutes. We have an older Coleman 3 man (from 1999) that has an "instant up" design with a rainfly. It sets up so fast. I thought I wanted the Coleman instant tent as our 3 man has served us well (again, through torrential rain, wind, and thunderstorms when canoe camping. Ugh.) but it hasn't gotten rave reviews. It always rains when we camp, so I need to be DRY! We stumbled upon the Bugaboo II at the Cabela's bargain cave. It normally retails for $150-200, but we got it for $47 because it was a return or floor model with a pinprick in the floor. Hole was patched with a $2 patch kit and all is well.

Comment

Another vote for the Coleman Instant Tent. I originally bought the 4 person tent, but I upgraded to the 6 person model because it has standing headroom. I think I paid $129 at Sport Chalet. Coleman also makes an 8 person model.

Comment

Coleman 4 person tent
          Eureka USMC 2 man tent
          Campright truck tent

OFR Gunny Doug

out

Comment

Hi J&J, I used a Eureka Timberline 2 man till just recently. We call those pup tents up in Minnesota. Excellent tent, very cozy for you and the little lady.
            Some campers like to stand up and have a little room, so a stand-up tent might be for you. The tent I have now, a Kodiak canvas 9X12, will take me
            all the way to the end of my camping days..... till I can't drive or walk anymore. ... lol. Others have said quality is what you want to look for, I agree.
            For just picking up a tent to test out camping to see if you like it, then cheap is ok. You can use it as a supply tent for extra gear later in your camping adventures.

Ride the Rails,
            Trainman
            Ride the Rails,
            Trainman

Comment

We are full time (my Dog and I), we use a Hilleberg Keron 3GT. Yes, they are very pricey but 4 seasons. Designed to put up in the wind, rain, snow... Ground clothe, inner tent and fly are always attached. We just clocked 53 mph wind and I only had the 6 stakes in. It is a tunnel tent. Nothing like it, quick set up and take down.

Be well... Ara and Spirit
              Last edited by beemerchef; 12-20-2011, 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by beemerchef View Post
                We are full time (my Dog and I), we use a Hilleberg Keron 3GT.
                On a recent trip, others had one of these. So I was able to see it up close. That is one nice tent. When it's time to replace mine, this is the one I'd love to get.

Do you use it in the summer? I'm wondering what it's like in 80-90 degree temps.
                Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
                  On a recent trip, others had one of these. So I was able to see it up close. That is one nice tent. When it's time to replace mine, this is the one I'd love to get.

Do you use it in the summer? I'm wondering what it's like in 80-90 degree temps.
                  We use it all year round. It has great ventilation. It is set up easily in the direction of the wind, with everything open there is a good breeze. Of course winds change!!! We generally never camp about 80 degrees! Ours has a very large footprint which at times in the wilderness has been an issue! But we live in it and I like the size, 2 vestibules, one I can sit in with the Kermit chair, one for bags and Spirit's own entrance. Otherwise I would look at smaller ones. I like the thickness of the fabric which is 1800.

Comment

I have a old "two man" i think its brand name is american camper (kind of generic) dome tent A small pop up bivy tent (kind that folds up like those fold up window shades (adventure 16) brand name. A larger pop up tent like that big enough for two or three people. ( i got it at HArbor frieght in springfield mo) and the pride of my tent collection a Eureka Timberline II.

Comment

My wife and I grew up camping in Canvas tents. We tried the cheap and high dollar Nylon tents for a short period, but the tents were just not rugged enough. Now we exclusively use Canvas tents again. Not new Canvas tents, but tents from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Last year, 3 other families we camped with returned their 2011 models that included MSR, REI and Eureka tents after a 7 day camping trip. Here is our current shelter.

Comment

Wow man, that thing sure has some color to it! I remember tents like that from when I was a kid. The little ones look to be enjoying themselves, which is awesome. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
                        Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Love it! Nostalgia... and mini-Wheats are always a winner!!! for me too...

Welcome also to this fine group of campers.

Comment

I forget what brand it is.. I think I bought it at Academy about 15-20 years ago.

Not too hot on the color scheme. I'd prefer a OD green or other tent that would blend in better.
                            Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

I also have a 4 man tent from Wenger. I have only used it when car camping. It is not anything special, but does fine for car camping, I suppose.
                              Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Eureka Timberline 4

Comment

Working...
                                X