Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need recos for campgrounds off I-75 & 40 in KY, TN, NC and SC

Hello all,

We are headed from the Cincinnati area to Myrtle beach (SC) the week of July 24th and are hoping to stop at a couple of campgrounds along the way. I would really appreciate any recommendations on campgrounds off either of these routes:

1. I-75, I-40, I-26 in KY, TN, NC or SC. The best timewise would probably be somewhere between Knoxville, TN and Asheville, NC.

or

2. I-77 and I-74 in WV, VA, NC. Probably somewhere off I-77 in VA.

Hope my requirements aren't too confusing :-) We could definitely stray off the path for a recommended spot!

We would be tent camping, prefer Tent only and primitive would be great! Not sure if this matter but we have 4 kids under 7 :-)

Thanks !

Kevin

Re: Need recos for campgrounds off I-75 & 40 in KY, TN, NC and SC

I moved this thread back here to Tent Camping. It wasn't getting any replys where I moved it to in the southeast section. Please everyone, if you have camped in the areas asked about post up. Thanks RDF!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks RDF...

Ok so, I think we're just looking for stop for a couple of days in NC and SC.

So, does anyone have recos for campgrounds in NC and/or SC??

Thanks

Kevin

Comment

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/momi/main.php

http://www.buckcreekcampground.com/

The Mt. Mitchell State Park has actual campsites and also more primitive backpacking campsites. Click on the facilities and fees for the full description. Buck Creek is more like your family campground. Both are just north of Black Mountain which is just east of Asheville in NC mountains. Hope you find something you enjoy. There is also the Uwharrie National Forest which is between Charlotte and Fayetteville NC in central NC. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for the information sgfulton. We booked a site late last night at Dreher Island State Park, SC. It looks pretty good. The site is 50x50 so I think we're good for space. Didn't manage to get a waterfront spot but then again with little kids we're probably better off being across the street from the lake.

Need to get new tent poles. 2 of the 4 poles I bought from Dicks Sporting Goods broke in the first few minutes of use - hope they take 'em back.

Kevin

Comment

Thanks for the information sgfulton. We booked a site late last night at Dreher Island State Park, SC. It looks pretty good. The site is 50x50 so I think we're good for space. Didn't manage to get a waterfront spot but then again with little kids we're probably better off being across the street from the lake.

Need to get new tent poles. 2 of the 4 poles I bought from Dicks Sporting Goods broke in the first few minutes of use - hope they take 'em back.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
            X