Tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tents

What's the best way to keep your tent from letting rain get through? Tarps?

Re: Tents

Rain. It gets in from on top, through the side, from underneath. It puddles in, condenses on, seeps through, and winds around threads, seals, and sides. If you're not ready to spend large amounts of money of a good tent, a tarp is the best alternative. You can pole up large ones (see Flibitygiget) over and around your tent and have both shade and rain cover. A smaller one under the tent helps by preventing the punctures that lead to leakage. Some people like setting up their tent right inside a screen tent! Sealing your seams from the inside with a paintbrush and seam sealer on the threads prevents that water from getting in, and keeping any available venting open at night helps reduce breathing condensation. If camping is you chosen lifestyle, like us you may eventually move up to tents in canvas or polyester that feature full vestibules, coverings that don't allow zippers or venting to be directly exposed to the elements, this stops even driving rain from getting in. More weatherfast tents also feature additional poles, more "vertical" walls, and higher "bathtub" floor sides. When all else fails, a good attitude goes a long way too! :cool:
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
      Some people like setting up their tent right inside a screen tent!
      I never thought of that! What a clever idea.
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

If a tent needs it's own tent to stay dry, I'd say get a better tent! :cool:

Seriously, a tarp SHOULD NOT be necessary. But it can also keep direct sunlight, tree debris, etc off a tent.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
          If a tent needs it's own tent to stay dry, I'd say get a better tent! :cool:

Seriously, a tarp SHOULD NOT be necessary. But it can also keep direct sunlight, tree debris, etc off a tent.
          One of the reasons I tarp sometimes is to keep tree sap,bird droppings,ashes from campfires ect off my tent!
          Adds a "porch" and some shade in warm weather or rain out also.

Comment

Working...
          X