Coleman 10x14 Hampton ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman 10x14 Hampton ?

My wife and I are looking at getting a Coleman 10x14 Hampton tent. We are just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this tent and what they would recommend. We like this tent because of the double doors and two separate rooms. We will be camping with family we want and need a tent that has at least two separate rooms and each room would need its own doors. Any advice and information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Glacier

Re: Coleman 10x14 Hampton ?

It's too big, anything larger than a 10X10 compromises the better shaded/level/scenic spots in a typical campsite. It's a pain to set up for more than one person when it's larger, and once that happens you may find others in your group resist future trips. Stores like Campmore or REI or the Amazon offer tents with quality construction. Tents like the one you're considering use poles that are few and too thin in diameter for the amount of "canvas" they support, and will move and rustle more in the wind, as well as have structural weaknesses that will pool water and often break poles at the worst possible times. They'll sport shortie rain flys that don't protect from driving rain and act as windcatchers, instead of vestibules. The rooms can hardly be described as "seperate". I"ve had tents like these in the past and had them break poles on the first outing, so back to the store they went and my education began. Two 4-man or two 6-man tents would work out a lot better for these reasons. I have two tents of this type, a 4-man and a 6-man and they both have two doors. If price is an issue, you could consider Eureka tents through Campmor online. Coleman/Wenzel/Adventure Trails/Ozark, these are really the bottom feeders of tenting and if you stick with these brands you will want to stay small (6man or less) to avoid their principle weaknesses. Another option would be a canvas tent, the designs I see use strong pole designs and while heavy get good reviews.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I don't have experience with that model Coleman but own several other models. I have had good service from all of them contrary to what others say. I could spend more of my hard earned money for another brand but figure why. I get the service I need out of what I have bought. Which leaves a bit more $$$ for other gear or camping trips.

Comment

More information needed. How often have you been camping in the past? What time of climate and what time of the year will you be camping?
        Please, somebody, anybody, help my Chicago Bears.

Comment

for what it might be worth, another potential issue could exist where you intent to camp as some campgrounds, both in national and state parks, require campers to pitch tents on the designated tent pad in each campsite. the pads i have seen are not large enough to pitch a 14' tent so that could be problematic if your campground(s) mirrors ours.

Comment

Haven't had good luck with "new" coleman products. My old one from way back when never failed us, but like others have said I'd look at other tents to be honest. We family camp and the pads we see wouldn't be able to take a tent that size either. It gets tight for us on some as it is but that's 3 tents and 6 people at a minimum!!

Comment

Chiming in a little late here, but I own this model of tent and love it -- by far my favorite tent of the three I've owned so far. I came from an even larger Coleman dome (12x14), and really like this one because of the vertical walls (more usable floor space even though the Hampton is smaller than my dome), and that I got to keep the hinged, D-framed door.

Contrary to what others stated above, this is hands-down the easiest tent I have ever set up. I can easily set it up by myself, from beginning to end, in 15 minutes, and that includes staking out all the guylines. Despite being a giant nylon brick, it's a very stable tent in medium winds, and I had no problems in 20-30mph gusts with semi-heavy rain the first time I used it. My only wish with this tent is that it had a bit more of a sheltered entry way (like an awning), because rain will run off the roof and right into the door when you go in/out. I guess the easiest solution is that when it's raining try not to go in/out so much (haha).

This is the first tent I've ever owned that packs up so well, that it leaves EXTRA room in the original bag for my stake/mallet bag! Speaking of, this tent also comes with real stakes -- not the flimsy skinny wire stakes.

I would highly recommend this tent to anyone doing a family car camping thing.
              Nights camping in 2012: 2

"Doors marked pull reduce the speed of those who push before they read."
              READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL!

Comment

Working...
              X