Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSR Whisperlite Problem

Hi,
    I have a whisperlite from MSR that I've used several times before, but am now having trouble with. When I open the valve after pressurizing the canister, I can hear the fuel coming from the stove, but I can't ignite it with a lighter.

About 2 weeks ago I tried to use the stove, I pumped it about 25 times, instead of the usual 15, because the fuel is down to about 1/4 of the container. When I opened the valve, fuel filled the primer cap and I ignited it and there was a large flame. It seemed that some fuel leaked from the primer, because the table underneath the stove also caught fire (but stopped once the fuel burned out). However, it seemed like the tubing connecting to the pump/canister also caught fire for a minute. This had me panicked and so water was poured all over everything to douse the fire. The fire was diminished, but I had to close the valve to stop all the flames.

It had been about a year between that almost catastrophe and the previous use. I thought maybe the connection or the smaller stove components were clogged. I cleaned out the stove according to instructions. It seems like fuel is passing to the stove. Is there a way to check assure this?

Do I need to pump the canister more, like 45/50 times, because of the low fuel level, or do you think that some damage is causing my problem? I took the whole pump assembly apart and nothing looked melted or cracked.

Re: MSR whisperlite problem

bump.
    Any ideas?

Comment

Re: MSR whisperlite problem

I am not familiar with your equipment. Have you sent an email to MSR? The few backpackers that are members here are either not backpacking, nor on travels. Eaglebait the most frequent packer that hangs around here is backpacking Europe and won't be back till late December.

BTW: I'm moving your thread(question) to the tent camping section. Maybe you'll get a faster response.
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Re: MSR Whisperlite Problem

I do not use any MSR equipment, so I would say +1 contacting MSR about it.
        Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

This is a shot in the dark, but you are making sure the fuel valve is higher than the rest of the tank, right? If it's tilted down, the compressed air will go to the top and push raw fuel out into the lines. Liquid fuel stoves burn off the vapor from the fuel, not the raw liquid fuel.
          Other than that, the only think I can think of is maybe your O-ring seals are damaged or deteriorated and you are leaking fuel and air through them. have you done a leak test? If not make up some soapy water and paint it on all the joints between the tank and burner, slowly turn on the gas and see if there are any bubbles. Bubbles indicate a leak.
          Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Shadow,
            That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of the seals. Thank you.

Comment

This is why I use fuel canister stoves -- Never a problem and always lights right up every time.

Comment

We camp year round, including at near-freezing temperatures, and that's why we use propane and white gas and not butane fuel canisters. Even when backpacking I used propane instead of butane for this reason. Butane remains a liquid at below-freezing temperatures and can be a hassle to keep the canisters warm so they'll vaporize to combust. Propane is good to -40 and of course white gas is trouble-free at freezing and below-freezing temps. Most campers only go out from May to October so it's never an issue, and the little canisters are sure handy when you don't need a lot of fuel for your trip. I've always liked the Coleman Peak1 line and the MSRs from a backpacking point of view, but went with the Svea white gas instead.
                Last edited by tplife; 11-15-2011, 09:51 AM.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Try filling the tank with fuel to its usual level and pumping 15 times like you have always done. You don't want to overpressurize the tank - the seals are only made to sustain a certain pressure.

Comment

Most stove manufacturers offer repair kits for their stoves. It might be a better use of your time to rebuild your stove with one of these before calling all over creation. These repair kits always include the necessary seals.

Comment

Working...
                    X