Backpack recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpack recomendations

First off, I'm a big girl. I am 5'8" and as someone once told me "build like a linebacker":eek:

I just purchased a Eureka! Spitfire tent, and a Suisse Sport "Adult Adventurer Mummy Ultra-Compactable" Sleeping Bag.

What I need is an affordable backpack to carry enough gear for up to a three night stay in the boonies but won't kill my back and shoulders.

Any recommendations?
    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Re: Backpack recomendations

It is extraordinarily hard to recommend a particular model. Sizing a backpack takes a knowledgeable person to measure and fit one to you. Sometimes, even the fine folks at REI just do not do a great job. If you have two or three willing friends, use them to measure your back following the directions at the link.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...+hip+size.html

The reason I say two or three friends is that you are more likely to get a good measurement that way.

Then, take that measurement and head to your favorite retail outlet and start trying packs on. Make sure to take the "usual" amount of gear with you (for the three night stay you mentioned), that way you do not end up with too small of a pack. Stow the gear in the pack and walk around the store for a bit. Pay special attention to the hip belt, as that will be where the weight SHOULD be borne.

Affordable is fairly subjective. I have a Kelty 4750 (weighs 5lb 2oz) that isn't great, but isn't a hunk of junk either. I got it on clearance from Sportsman's Warehouse for about $100. I will be ordering a Kifaru UL 5200 as soon as I can afford one. They are $558 but weigh just over 2 pounds.
    Last edited by immortal_ben; 01-18-2012, 04:55 PM.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
      It is extraordinarily hard to recommend a particular model. Sizing a backpack takes a knowledgeable person to measure and fit one to you. Sometimes, even the fine folks at REI just do not do a great job. If you have two or three willing friends, use them to measure your back following the directions at the link.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...+hip+size.html

The reason I say two or three friends is that you are more likely to get a good measurement that way.

Then, take that measurement and head to your favorite retail outlet and start trying packs on. Make sure to take the "usual" amount of gear with you (for the three night stay you mentioned), that way you do not end up with too small of a pack. Stow the gear in the pack and walk around the store for a bit. Pay special attention to the hip belt, as that will be where the weight SHOULD be borne.

Affordable is fairly subjective. I have a Kelty 4750 (weighs 5lb 2oz) that isn't great, but isn't a hunk of junk either. I got it on clearance from Sportsman's Warehouse for about $100. I will be ordering a Kifaru UL 5200 as soon as I can afford one. They are $558 but weigh just over 2 pounds.
      Yeah, I know REI has weight bags (not sure what's in them. Im guessing either rocks, charcoal, or something else) they can stuff in the packs you try on to see how it goes with weights. My friend has a Kelty bag but im not sure the model. I am going to see if she can take a pic of it. She has a womens pack, but I am probably going to have to go with a man's pack due to my height and wider than average shoulders. I am hoping to find something decent under $75.

Since this is my first backpacking trip, I don't want to spend a fortune, since I might decide that dropping a deuce into a dirt hole just isn't my cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
        but I am probably going to have to go with a man's pack due to my height and wider than average shoulders.
        Talk to outfitters and maybe read some more. I wouldn't make the same assumption because women's packs are measured by torso length, the should straps are slightly angled out so they don't lay across our breasts, and the bottom straps are configured for our hips. So, there are some anatomy issues addressed in the design of women's packs.
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
          Talk to outfitters and maybe read some more. I wouldn't make the same assumption because women's packs are measured by torso length, the should straps are slightly angled out so they don't lay across our breasts, and the bottom straps are configured for our hips. So, there are some anatomy issues addressed in the design of women's packs.
          Ah ok I have narrow hips so that wouldn't be an issue, but having straps right across the boobs would be a big problem.

Comment

Just having weight bags in a pack doesn't tell the whole story. Your gear needs to fit in certain ways in any given bag to ensure it isn't too heavy on one side, or some such bad juju. This is why you should actually take your own gear to put in a prospective pack.

Height really has little to do with pack fitment and as Glitter said it has to do with torso length.

Check your Craigslist on a daily basis, I find a lot of pretty good packs on there for $75 or less. Names like Gregory, Kelty, Mountain Hard Ware, and such.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Just having weight bags in a pack doesn't tell the whole story. Your gear needs to fit in certain ways in any given bag to ensure it isn't too heavy on one side, or some such bad juju. This is why you should actually take your own gear to put in a prospective pack.

Height really has little to do with pack fitment and as Glitter said it has to do with torso length.

Check your Craigslist on a daily basis, I find a lot of pretty good packs on there for $75 or less. Names like Gregory, Kelty, Mountain Hard Ware, and such.
              I've been watching craigslist daily but nothing decent has shown up except for people selling packs for more than I can buy online. Even then not really much worth looking at. If I find a good one at REI, as a member I can rent them for cheap and then give it a trial run by taking it on a day hike and see how it works. As for my own gear, i am still working on switching over from car camping type gear to backpacking gear.

Comment

Renting is a great idea! If I remember correctly, they only offer REI brand packs for rent, but they have pretty good gear.

I just do not want to see people make the mistake I did at first and get so excited for a pack "right now" that they get the wrong pack. I got a Hi-Tec pack from Big 5, and man that thing nearly crippled me because it did not fit right, and it did not transfer the load to my hips correctly.

Have you checked Ebay? I have not bought camping gear there, but I have bought plenty of other stuff with no real issues. Heck, I used to sell stuff on Ebay.

Life is a verb.

Comment

I just do not want to see people make the mistake I did at first and get so excited for a pack "right now" that they get the wrong pack. I got a Hi-Tec pack from Big 5, and man that thing nearly crippled me because it did not fit right, and it did not transfer the load to my hips correctly.

Have you checked Ebay? I have not bought camping gear there, but I have bought plenty of other stuff with no real issues. Heck, I used to sell stuff on Ebay.
                  OH nonononono, I am not the kind of person that jumps into any kind of major purchase. I always research and mull over everything for a while before I plunk down my hard earned cash. My hiking trip isn't until October so I have plenty of time to look at them.

Comment

Working...
                  X