Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, new here, question re. adding electric port to tent

Hi,
    Sorry to barge right in with a new topic.

I've narrowed my search for a new tent to three Eureka models: the Titan, Headquarters, and Equinox. None of which are equipped with a port for extension cord, near as I can tell.

Has anyone experience with adding a port? I briefly searched this fine forum and the net and found zilch.

It seems there should be such a product that one could add, perhaps attached with adhesive (and finished via a careful razor knife). I don't sew.

Thanks,
    Norm

Re: Hello, new here, question re. adding electric port to tent

Since the titian has doors at both ends no need to add a port.

It would be hard to do well without sewing.

Comment

Yeah...I agree with Johnny, you would need to sew. We have a Colman 9 man that we use that has a port and an internal battery pack that drives an overhead light and fan, which helps more than you would think during the summer months. With the windows open and the fan running, the air flow is good enough to maintain a bit more comfort.
      2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Test View Post
        Since the titian has doors at both ends no need to add a port.

It would be hard to do well without sewing.

Yes, my first hope is that the door zippers are configured such that I can zip the extension cord into a door, without creating a gap for rain. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to examine these tents before buying.

After now reading at this forum a bit, I am now considering a Kodiak Flex-Bow. The same concern exists for that model: getting electricity in without creating a rain gap. I generally car camp for the fairer half of the year, almost always where there is juice to power all my e-crap (and Mr. Coffee, of course). I grew weary of lugging deep-cycles, though I still carry one for the occasional 'primitive' night.

Comment

Have no fear Norm! I have a Kodiak Cabin Tent 9x12 and others all Kodiaks have a port for electrical or propane cords and/or hoses.
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

The titian has a flap over the bottom of the door, plus it's rain fly hangs out with awnings. I can leave the windows open when it is raining. One of the reasons I bought it.Click image for larger version

Name:	2103.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	69446 Here is the best pic I have of the end.

-JT

Comment

Norm, Don't be afraid! Come on over to the Kodiak canvas side, it's warmer over here.

Comment

A bit late on this, but I have seen adhesive zippers. The adhesive is pretty much permanent, so you'd have to plan placement carefully. The installation process is with the two sides of the zipper closed together, you simply stick it on the tent fabric where you want the port, unzip the zipper, cut the tent, now you have a zipper port. It's similar to the door zippers available for poly tarp walls (usually used in construction).

All this being said, I don't know if I'd cut a hole in my tent, but if you want a power port enough...
                Nights camping in 2012: 2

"Doors marked pull reduce the speed of those who push before they read."
                READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL!

Comment

Working...
                X