what kind of tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of tent

This year we are looking for a new tent......2 adults with gear.
    summer only............camping where it sometimes gets really windy and heavy rain.

Can likely spend about 200-300 dollars.
    I have heard fibreglas poles are not as good as aluminum.
    The poles in my tent now have started to take a break where the ferrules are.....

Any good suggestions?

Re: what kind of tent

Will you be backpacking or car camping?
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Ooops....shoulda said that....car camping.....2 weeks.
      Ontario canada.....

Comment

No worries...

With car camping, you have tons more options, simply because weight of the tent is not a factor. It's really going to depend on the amount of space you're going to want.

A couple things to think about when it comes to space:

1. How comfotrable do you want to be if it's raining?
        2. How big of a footprint will be available to set a tent up?

For car camping, we have a 9 man Colman that's just huge for three of us. We can set-up a card table and chairs in the center...which is awesome on rainy days to play cards or boardgames...etc.
        2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

looking for something with aluminium poles I hear they are better....

size is not a factor.....
          plenty of room to set up.

a full fly....

Comment

Do you want to be able to stand up in your tent? Is sitting room enough?

Aluminum poles are better for backpacking because they are lighter, basically. Fiberglass poles are fine for the occasional camper who doesn't backpack. I have had fiberglass poles stand up to tropical force winds and rain, but I did have the tent guyed out well.

Here is one to look at... http://www.campsaver.com/king-creek-...erson-3-season it is normally $350, but on sale for $260, so that's pretty groovy.

I will be able to give more suggestions after you answer my questions.
            Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Not critical to stand up........

Good poles are a must.......the fibreglas ones in my current tent have cracked right where they exit the steel ferrule.......and I have heard that fibreglas slivers are PAINFUL!!

Comment

Yes, fiberglass poles can crack but I have never had any do so because I took care to treat them correctly. I have ended up with aluminum poles, but I am a backpacker so weight is always an issue for me.

Anyway check out this tent... http://www.rei.com/product/828150/ma...elight-3p-tent I looked at the 2P version today at REI and was impressed with it.
                Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I may be kind of a brand whore about this but try the Eureka Timberline4 . Its a four man tent but should be very room for 2 guys plus gear.

Comment

Got to agree with Awtted on Eureka tents and the Timberline4 is a nice tent for two people but if you are car camping and it rains alot you might want to consider a tent you can stand up in. I would suggest the Eureka Tetragon5. Check out Campmor.com Any Eureka tent I've used has always performed to my satisfaction and Campmor has really good customer service if you have a problem with anything you buy from them.A Tetragon5 sells for 169.00, is 9ft.x9ft. and is 6ft. high in the center. JMO

Comment

The importance is to be big enough and high-quality. Many choices for you. Don not to hesitate to choose the best,just take the suitable camping tent for you.
                      I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

I have a Eureka Sunrise and it is the most awesome tent I have ever owned! I have been through some serious thunderstorms with srtong wind and heavy rain without a single problem. Not a drop of water inside and very stable in the wind. Additionally the large windows on all sides make it perfect for all kinds of weather. Open all the way, part way, or closed as needed. Sets up fast and easy. I have the 4 person one and set in up by myself in about 10 minutes or so. It also packes well back into the tent bag it came in.

Comment

The most reliable weather-proof, portable, comfortable, affordable tent I have used in 40 year of camping is the Eureka Timberline. If you used a four man tent for two people, you would be comfortable.

If you are going to be in windy conditions, use ALL the guy-lines.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-07_15.28.09[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	69620Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-06_17.40.26[1].jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	69622Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-06_17.40.26[1].jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	69622
                            Originally posted by rose View Post
                            I have a Eureka Sunrise and it is the most awesome tent I have ever owned! I have been through some serious thunderstorms with srtong wind and heavy rain without a single problem. Not a drop of water inside and very stable in the wind. Additionally the large windows on all sides make it perfect for all kinds of weather. Open all the way, part way, or closed as needed. Sets up fast and easy. I have the 4 person one and set in up by myself in about 10 minutes or so. It also packes well back into the tent bag it came in.
                            I have a Eureka Sunrise 11 also. I like the high size that I can stand up in, but I never felt quite confident in the design for high winds. The Sunrise I have has an umbrella like rainfly that assembles nearly like a kite and is put precariously on top of the tent.

I have a lot more confident in the Eureka Timberline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-07_15.28.09[1].jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	69620
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Mike; 02-02-2013, 08:21 PM. Reason: add photo

Comment

Cabela's Alaskan Guide tents are in my opinion the best on the market for car campers. I have weathered many SEVERE storms with torrential rain and high wind in one of them. If you are going to be spending a good bit of time in it, get the 6 person for even 2 people.

We have the fiberglass poles and have had zero problems in several years. If you do have a problem under normal use, Cabelas will replace them.

The 6 person with fiberglass poles is $380. Pretty often Cabelas will send out 20% off or free shipping or some sort of discount if you sign up on their web site. You can also go on retailmenot.com and look for discount codes. You can save quite a bit that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X