X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Tips to Tent Camping

Howdy,

Here are four tips to help you have an enjoyable tent camping experience:

1. Use the best tent you can afford. The quality and functionality of camping equipment has increased dramatically during recent years. If you have and know how to use good equipment there is no reason you should be cold, soaked, or uncomfortable.

2. Inspect your gear before leaving home. It is frustrating if you arrive at camp and then discover you've lost a tent pole.

3. Practice with your equipment in you backyard, or at a campground that is close to your home. There is a learning curve with camping gear. It can be frustrating to arrive at a camp, 400 miles from home, with rain falling, and you not knowing how to set up your tent.

4. Make reservations or arrive early. Many of our nation's campgrounds fill up on summer weekends, and on weekdays associated with holidays. Some public campgrounds have sites that are only available on a first come basis. If you can't make reservations, but can arrive early in the day on say a Thursday or Friday, you can usually find a spot for the weekend. By mid-afternoon on the Friday all sites may be full. All state and federal campgrounds have to have a certain percentage number of sites available as first-come-first served.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Very true! And also carry basic 'repair' stuff. I had a tent pole splinter early on a trip - we were in North Alabama, several hundred miles from home!
    Luckily, I had some wire and J.B.Quik-Weld - in five minutes, the pole was repaired - my night's sleep saved! :cool:
    Spare tent stakes are good too! I lost two in that rocky Nawth Bama soil!
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Four tips

Howdy Bigdog,

Excellent post BD, thanks for helping out and adding a very important idea about carrying repair stuff. And thanks for being...:cool:!

PS: We all enjoy your southern and biker slang, and it's all new to me.
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-03-2008, 11:34 PM.
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
      X