Need help with selecting a tent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with selecting a tent.

Ok, I need a 4 person 3 season tent for car camping with the family (Wife, 2 under age 4 children and myself), thing is it needs to be light enough to use for hiking in several miles with friends as well (when we get a weekend off from parenting LOL). I'm thinking the longest hikes would maybe be 5 miles in and not very often would we be doing this. I used to survey land and the packs I used for the instruments were quite heavy and then I also had the tripod legs so I was carrying 20-40lbs give or take depending on the size of the property we were working on, we would also have to carry in water and tools etc... so carrying weight several miles isn't to much of an issue, but the lighter the better. IT MUST BE DUEL PURPOSE THOUGH. I'd like to stay around $200-250 Any suggestions? Ideally I would just buy two tents, but I can't afford 2. I've looked at multiple brands and I'm open to anything. Also some recommendations on lighting would be nice, small compact LED high lumen lanterns around $50 +/-.

Re: Need help with selecting a tent.

Eureka Tetragon or a Eureka Timberline 4. The tetragon is roomier but the timberline is easier to pitch. In the way of lanterns i have a coleman lantern that i bought at walmart it has 2 intensity settings with the power switch lots of lightand weighs little. ok i appologoze i just saw that you were talking about using it as a backpacking tent i would go with the timberline4. now im rambling (i have a habit of doing that)

Comment

Re: Need help with selecting a tent.

I appreciate the reply! I've looked at the Timberline 4 and considered it, but also I've been looking at the Big Agnes lynx pass 4. Do you have any experience with Big Agnes Products? At this point I'm leaning toward the LP4 simply because it has two giant vestibules, but it's still in the air. If anyone else has any ideas I would entertain those as well. Btw Awtted I think I have the very Coleman lantern your referring to (red or black in color). I just found it this weekend it's amazing for the the $20 it cost.

Comment

Working...
      X