camping must haves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camping must haves

Iam new to camping I grew up in the city but love the outdoors. I want to take my daughter and wife camping. I was wondering what are the must haves for self suffiecient tent camping? Also things you bought and wondered how did I go camping without this item. So far I have a tent and sleeping bags.

Re: camping must haves

I'm interpreting self sufficient camping to mean no power, potable water or other facilities? Please elaborate so we better comprehend your needs.
    Currently I'm car camping within campground that supplies a water source for drinking and washing.
    The one piece of gear I couldn't live without is a quality cooler. It's paid for itself over and over. I really like the Coleman 6 day but wouldn't turn my nose up at a Yeti.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Hog snapper gave you the best way to start. If you camp in the backyard it will be a good way to see if you need to spend more time and money in pursuit of this awesome hobby. I started out by buying my friends stuff that he purchased for camping, and his wife and daughter hated it. Start with the basics and just make a note of what you will need/want.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

JS,

This is great that you are going to start camping. There is no better time to start than you first time. We used to camp out in our back yard as kids and we loved it! C amping out in your back yard is an excellent idea. But why stop there? Find a nearby city or county park and give it a try. I have been camping for over 40 years. Even with that kind of experience, my first attempt at family camping was a disaster. We had 2 kids in diapers. I had no idea that we would have to pack so much stuff just to camp. It was a nightmare because we just through things in Honda Accord wagon. Thank goodness you are planning ahead.

Camping is becoming more popular because the economy is not growing and people are going back to the basic for their vacations. Make sure that you plan ahead and make reservations to popular destinations. I like to camp off the beaten path and we often can just roll in to a national forest campground without reservations. But if you are just starting out, make reservations.

Here is a basic list that I use:

• Do You own a sleeping bag for each person camping?
        • Do you own or have access to a high-quality camping tent that is easy to put up by one person, will keep you dry, and will set everyone comfortably in your family or group?
        • Do you possess or have access to a good quality and easy to operate dual burner propane canister cooking stove?
        • Do you own or can you borrow lightweight sleeping pads or air mattresses that do not leak?
        • Do you own a few pots and pans that can be used on a 2 burner propane stove?
        • Do you have several LED flashlights and a LED camping lantern?
        • Do you have several stackable see through storage bins to keep your food and camping equipment organized?
        • Do you have at least 2 propane canisters for your propane cook stove?
        • Do you have a small stick lighter to ignite your camping stove?
        • Do you have enough clothing to layer to keep you warm on cool mornings?
        • Do you have a large Coleman cooler for storing your food?
        • Are you able to get a BPA free or stainless water jug to store your drinking water in?

Try to keep things simple. You can always buy things on the road if you really need them. You will learn as you camp more.

I have been using the simple Coleman green 2 burner stove for as long as I can remember. Ours burns both unleaded fuel and white gas. Coleman stoves are very reliable. Some people prefer the propane stoves. At the end of the day, buy something that is easy to use and will allow you to enjoy yourself.
        Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you for everyone's input im gonna start in the backyard and then move to nearby camp grounds ill be staying at place with running water and driving a KIA sportage so storage is alittle more then a compact car. So far I need a cooler, containers, pots and pans, utencils, water container, and maybe a rainfly for the tent. I have a old liquid fuel two burner Coleman stove do they need special pots and pans and can they cook anything with ease

Comment

Your liquid fuel stove should be fine. You probably should set it up, measure the burner area to see how big your pots and pans can be, and also check all connections for leaks, etc., so you don't have any problems when out using it. Having a fire extinguisher in your vehicle isn't a bad idea, either. I'd suggest checking out your local Goodwill or Salvation Army stores for pots, pans and utensils, unless you have old ones in good condition you don't mind using. No need for special pots. I prefer cast iron myself, but it's pretty heavy stuff and takes special care in cleaning.

A plastic dishpan for washing dishes is handy. You can use it to pack other, smaller items during transit. Mine usually carries things like dish soap (Ivory), utensils, dish towels, oven mitts, lighter, plates (I carry two Corel plates for reusability), etc. And what to me is a most necessary item: a roll of paper towels, good for cleanup, napkins, messes, etc.

No one has mentioned it yet, but if you are into campfires, you should have a shovel and an axe, as well as a water bucket. I also bring along a fire poker from my fireplace to shift the logs around and heavy leather garden gloves to protect my hands. A means to safely light the fire would also be handy. Be aware in some areas, they frown on bringing in firewood from other areas due to insect infestations, and buying bundled wood locally can get pricey. Someone also needs to stand watch with the fire at all times until the fire is completely out.

Be aware of the rules for the campground you are at. Some have specific places for grey water (usually dish water). Please try to leave the camp site as clean as you can for the next person to use, so plastic trash bags are useful for cleanup, trash you generate and other litter you may find already there from less hospitable people, as well as separating out recylables.

You might want to be prepared for bugs. There are various methods of dealing with those that I'm sure you can search for on this forum. A space blanket for each person is also handy, in the event of cold or wet weather. They can also be combined for shade or heat reflection.

Anyone who has been doing this for a while tends to collect a lot of equipment, even when trying to keep it simple. Get the basics, some of which you may already have, for what areas you plan on trying out first, then expand as your interests or changing needs require.

An extra tip for you that I just learned and plan on trying out: if you are a coffee person, heat water in a pan or tea kettle, pour it slowly through a funnel with a paper filter and desired amount of ground coffee into a container (thermos is suggested).

Comment

Great info particularly on fire safety, Dust Devil!
              I just want to point out that in much of the NE ground fires are no longer allowed yet many camp stores will rent you a firepit (if the grounds don't already have them) and you can buy wood there as well.

jspousta, I too, grew up in the city; still live in 1 now and I have to rent cars in order to camp. I'm confident with judicious packing you'll be able to fit all your gear in the Sportage. The smallest car I ever packed up for 4 persons' gear was a Mazda3 but you have to keep in mind only 2 of us drove to the site. The others took a commuter train and we picked them up at the station, after unpacking the vehicle, LOL. Somewhere on this site there is an older thread that discusses smaller cars and packing...I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ght=#post12078
              Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-29-2012, 06:21 AM.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Here's a great and handy list of camping essentials:

http://pocketranger.wordpress.com/20...-camping-trip/

Comment

Our family must-have is a luggable loo and cat litter. The convenience of having our own portable potty takes the stress out of being away from home.

Comment

Originally posted by ceomom703 View Post
                    Our family must-have is a luggable loo and cat litter. The convenience of having our own portable potty takes the stress out of being away from home.
                    You guys don't use the toilet bags? I don't think I could just fill the bucket with cat litter and be good for the weekend. We use the bags and if you make a #2, it is your responsibility to change the bag. I think one #2 is good enough for one bag.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                      You guys don't use the toilet bags? I don't think I could just fill the bucket with cat litter and be good for the weekend. We use the bags and if you make a #2, it is your responsibility to change the bag. I think one #2 is good enough for one bag.

Well, of course, we use a bag. The other way would be way, way too primitive.

Comment

So what's the purpose of the cat litter? The bags I use come with the chemical stuff already in them.

Comment

I'm curious too...inquiring minds want to know, why the cat litter, and what kind in particular?

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                            So what's the purpose of the cat litter? The bags I use come with the chemical stuff already in them.
                            We usually change the bags several times a day and have run out of the chemical bags. If we double bag 2 kitchen bags and use kitty litter that works, too. I read that on some camping site some time ago and thought it was a good alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by ceomom703 View Post
                              We usually change the bags several times a day and have run out of the chemical bags. If we double bag 2 kitchen bags and use kitty litter that works, too. I read that on some camping site some time ago and thought it was a good alternative.
                              A lot cheaper to. I know we paid $11 for a 6 pack. Since we have cats, we already have the cat litter. I think I could get a good deal on the smaller bags that would fit a 5 gallon bucket. I think it would be easy to cinch using the draw strings. What type of cat litter do you use and how does it control the odor?

Comment

Working...
                              X