sleeping pad emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleeping pad emergency

So, me and the family are going camping in three weeks, so I've started reviewing the gear to make sure everything is in good working order.

Pulled out the air mattress to check for leaks; good news...NO LEAKS! Bad news...covered in CAT PEE!!

I've been thinking of moving less heavy more efficient sleeping pads anyway, however, I don't have $200 to spend on Thermarest sleeping pads for the three bodies (wife and two children) who usually occupy the air mattress.

Does anyone know of a cheaper but reusable option for sleeping pads?

Re: sleeping pad emergency

I am real happy with my alps sleeping pads, but they are $100 each. I found some of the cascade design ones (therma rest military issue's) at a surplus store for $30 each. I think if you add a foam mat and those you might be comfortable. I would try fabric stores/craft stores to see if they have any of the foam/egg crate materials. That is basically what is inside of the self inflating type. I would go with the 3" variety.
    Something such as this
    http://www.allegromedical.com//beds-...703_a_7c191438
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

This might not help but I'm real happy with our new REI sleeping pads. I got them on sale a couple weeks ago for $ 94 For the xl pad. they are a little more now but if you sign up for their "Gearmail" you can get 15% off coupon.

Comment

Have you checked your local CL? It's not really optimum season for buying camping gear at a steal yet ya never know what's hidden, unused in some procrastinator's garage. You can also rent equipment (including sleeping pads) from several camp outfitters like REI and EMS. This site helped my DIL a few seasons back:

http://www.lowergear.com/

HTH!
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I would blow up the air mattress and clean it with soap. Then float it in a pool for a little while, the chlorine will kill the cat germs. Sun dry it(the sun also will also bleach/kill germs), and if it still smells, you can try a vinegar spray. I did the clean and sun dry to a pair of shoes that had cat pee, and there's no smell anymore. Although I just soaked the shoes in a bucket of water with soap for a day and then dried it. And the plastic in an air mattress is not nearly as porous as the stuff in shoes.

Comment

You may want to try and find a place that sells foam......

Not the light airy type you see in couches but the high density stuff that looks like sponge toffee. (Usually HD foam is in hockey helmets.....just for an idea what you are looking for)

Comment

MegaMat is another company that sells quality sleeping pads. Like ThermaRest and Alps products, they're pricey but come in a variety of thicknesses and widths. They are a worthwhile investment that you only have to buy once. Ebay is also a great place to buy pads at auction as unless they are pictured as having washboard ribbing (stored rolled up which ruins them), they don't really wear out.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Cleaning the air mattress was not an option because regardless of how clean I got it, my wife wouldn't sleep on it! I think I've decided to get 3 Therm-A-Rest Z-lite foldable sleep pads. I have a Therm-A-Rest of my own as I am the only one who camps in non-summerish conditions, so my wife and kids I think will be fine with this layer between them and the ground. Plus the three of them usually end up snuggled together in the "Family" sleeping bag anyway, so I'm thinking I can probably rig it up so the 3 pads are more or less joined like one big sleeping pad. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Comment

**UPDATE**

Returned from Cape Cod camping trip to Sweet Water Forest. Great time had by all, save for the 95 degree heat wave that started on the third day of our trip.

For the kids, I did go with the Therm-A-Rest z-lyte sleep pads. I ordered two of them, and for under $40, I was quite pleased with the performance. They seemed a little thin when I pulled them out of the box, and I worried that every rock and bump was going to go right through, but both kids slept fantastic. I tried one out, and it was indeed very comfy, I'd venture a little better even than a nicely inflated air mattress. My 200 (almost) lb body did not compress the cells all the way to the tent floor, and I could feel my own body heat radiating up on that first 40 degree night. The folding lines are nice feature, allowing me to store them either in a block, or on the way home, I put them down flat as a buffer between the Pack Right car top bag and the roof. Worked like a charm.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104484780

Comment

Working...
                  X