Picking out a tent is tough....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking out a tent is tough....

Let me preface this by saying I'm 27, married, and have a 2.5 week old girl :D. I was in cub/boy scouts (lots of camping, campground, back woods hiking, below freezing, etc) and have camped maybe 10 times at a campground since then.

My wife and I enjoy camping. We've gone 3 or 4 times in the past 5 years of being together (we both work at different times and seldom, if ever, have any days off together). We had a 6 person (i think) dome but now need to upgrade. The tent we've been using I've had for about 14 years. Three poles, and I can set it up by myself in less than 10 minutes, including the rainfly.

Anyways, with this child, and my wife's summer-long maternity leave, we'd like to go camping at least a few times this year, but need a bigger tent. We currently have a queen blow up mattress, which we hate, and a will be bringing along a pack and play for the baby. We also need room for our clothes, and other baby stuff. Ideally, We'd like this tent to be able to handle our growing family. This means we may be trying for another in the next 1-3 years, and would assume any tent we buy would last that long.

Anyways, I've been looking for the past 2 weeks or so for a tent that would be suitable. Every tent I decide on, I find something wrong with.

These are the tents I've looked closely at, and ruled out:

Wenzel Kodiak - rainfly doesn't appear to have great coverage. Not the greatest of reviews.

Tents I'd like, but still not quite sure

High Sierra Mesa Family Dome - might not have the space we're looking for

Eureka Copper Canyon 1610
    - This would be THE PERFECT tent for us, if only the screened area had a floor

Tents currently considering (as of this post)

Kodiak Canvas Cabin with awning (and screen) - My wife likes the screened porch for the youngin'... and there seems to be enough room inside the sleeping area... $700 is a LOT of money....

Eureka Copper Canyon 1512 - Definitely tempting, 12 person tent is plenty big, not sure what the issue is with me not being convinced by it.... Is it an old model? I couldn't find it on their site... and I've been seeing it for $500... my brain is turning to mush looking at all these tents so that might not be the best price... but 520 could get me the Kodiak...

Coleman WeatherMaster Screened 6 tent - Also very tempting - Has 2 rooms, plus a screened room.. a number of bad reviews about the poles bending... but CT doesn't normally see very high winds. For some reason, the "Elite" version has even worse reviews...

In the minimum, we'd like something that will fit us comfortably, with a possibility of a screened area for a pack and play to sit while we are outside of the tent. We aren't against a separate screened tent, but that makes my head hurt even more at this point. BTW, I'm 5'8 and she is 4'11"

At this point we only have a 10x10 ezup (64 sqft) shelter. I know the Kodiak will last, and I have a good friend that might be able to get me a deal at one through cabelas, but are there any tents I'm forgetting about? is the Eureka 1512 a long lasting tent? or am I living in a dream thinking a Chinese-made nylon tent can last 10+ years now.

Re: Picking out a tent is tough....

Let me start by saying "Mazel Tov!" for your newest family member and those to come.

I've been car camping with the frmr Eureka Copper Canyon 1312 for the past few years(6-7 seasons? On average 26 days a year) and am pretty happy with the choice.
    I think it now goes by the name of Copper Canyon 12.

Here's my review of it:

PROs

Roomy
    Able to stand in w/ ease.
    Big enough for 1 QB air mattress on stand plus 2 cots or 2 twin air mattresses with space left over for luggage of up to 4 adults.
    Water and wind proof for normal NE weather in Spring to Fall.
    Same goes for rain fly.
    Minimal maintenance needed to keep it waterproof as all major seaming is factory taped. This has never stopped me from doing annual waterproofing since I prefer to be safe as opposed to sorry.
    Removable ceiling to floor with storage pockets curtain that allows space to be divided into two rooms. I find this useful and better than systems with more parts to break zippers.
    2 doors at opposite corners is a definite plus when space is divided into 2 rooms. I'm not interested in anyone walking/passing over my area for a potty call.
    Despite initial worries about the quality of the zippers I've had no problems with them to date.

CONs

The floor seems flimsy so I treat it as such. No shoes are allowed in the tent( I use a door mat inside and outside) and place a foldeable plastic rug down just be sure (Check QVC for a better price than various RV sites).
    The awning is a joke no matter how I guy line it so I don't even bother to bring/use it any more.
    I succumbed to the "allure" of the custom sized foot print and was not happy with the plastic's mil. Bought a less expensive tarp and now all is well.
    Poles are not colour coded so I pulled out my nail polish and did it myself. Again no biggie.

All and all, I'm happy with the purchase and feel I've received my monies worth. I would compare the old version VS the new, online, (the old version is still listed at Eureka's outlet) to see if true improvements have been made.

About family tents with screened areas built in....when I look at the cost differential, I prefer to get a larger tent WITH flooring rather than a screened area added on. Gives me more options as the family grows and since the need for a pack and play is limited ( maybeeee 2 years?) seems to make more longterm expense sense.

Oh and for the record, I'm pretty sure my Eureka is not made in the USA yet feel if the company that's throwing their name on the product has strong specifications, all will be well .

As far as the possible eventual screened in shelter goes, I'm soooooooooo loving my Paha Que 12*12 shelter w/ optional flooring. Has 2 doors ( a function I obviously love), 9' ft ceilings, great screening and currently functions as a camping kitchen/rainy day L/R space/extra B/R for short term guests.Wellllllllll actually that's not completely true since I bought a lg Kelty Sunshade last summer. I find it makes a wunnerful sun/rain/windproof shelter in addition to the above.....heehehehe..I'm a bit of a camping gear junkie...... oops.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-08-2012, 10:53 AM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanks for the review! I found this 1312 on ebay:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eureka-Coppe...item519f561673

It's moved up to the top of my list.

Is the paha que able to fit comfortably around a camp picnic table?

Comment

Well, if you read this entire forum you will not find one camper who actually uses a Kodiak Canvas Tent, that has a bad thing to say about this tent. $700 is a bunch of money, but you will not be buying another tent any time soon. They are easy to setup and last a long time. You still see Canvas Tent's from the 70's in use. I will include a video that will make my point about Kodiak Canvas tents. The first one shows a 120(ish) pound woman setting up the tent by herself. . Throw in a Mr Buddy heater and you have my exact setup that will be in use for years. I honestly expect my kodiak canvas to last until my 5 year old daughter is out of the house. You can do a little research on youtube as well.

Set up video
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gprMzIoG4bU
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
          Well, if you read this entire forum you will not find one camper who actually uses a Kodiak Canvas Tent, that has a bad thing to say about this tent. $700 is a bunch of money, but you will not be buying another tent any time soon. They are easy to setup and last a long time. You still see Canvas Tent's from the 70's in use. I will include a video that will make my point about Kodiak Canvas tents. The first one shows a 120(ish) pound woman setting up the tent by herself. . Throw in a Mr Buddy heater and you have my exact setup that will be in use for years. I honestly expect my kodiak canvas to last until my 5 year old daughter is out of the house. You can do a little research on youtube as well.

Set up video
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gprMzIoG4bU
          Is there any maintenance (ie waterproofing) required on the Kodiaks? The 10x14 Flex Bow seems like it would do the trick as well. Might not be able to afford a screen tent this season though....

Comment

Originally posted by fantomas View Post
            Thanks for the review! I found this 1312 on ebay:
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eureka-Coppe...item519f561673

It's moved up to the top of my list.

Is the paha que able to fit comfortably around a camp picnic table?
            Here's a currently better price, again w/ free shipping:

http://www.campmor.com/eureka-copper...4&ci_sku=24507

As for the Paha Que........the main reason I bought it is due to the fact it's bigger than a standard picnic table (which is 8' in length and 3' in width) and no one has to worry about having a pole in/at their back or stumbling into it as they get up from the table. As well the design and interior space is such that having a wet back during inclement weather isn't going to happen at all. I have to point out that according to Amazon's website, the ceiling is 6' high but per my memory banks and Paha Que's website, this is a misprint. PQ's site says 8'10" and I know it's high enough for me to need to attach a lamp BEFORE I raise it, LOL. I actually can use my Coleman stove inside w/o worrying about gas or fire hazards. It's NOT cheap but truly worthy for a longterm purchase.

I want to point out that Kingquad is spot on regarding canvas tents. Quite durable and longlasting! My only prob is it's difficult for this particular woman to put up solo due to weight of product. I'm NOT discussing my weight with no one (:D) yet will admit to being 5'4.75" tall, LOL.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              Here's a currently better price, again w/ free shipping:

http://www.campmor.com/eureka-copper...4&ci_sku=24507

As for the Paha Que........the main reason I bought it is due to the fact it's bigger than a standard picnic table (which is 8' in length and 3' in width) and no one has to worry about having a pole in/at their back or stumbling into it as they get up from the table. As well the design and interior space is such that having a wet back during inclement weather isn't going to happen at all. I have to point out that according to Amazon's website, the ceiling is 6' high but per my memory banks and Paha Que's website, this is a misprint. PQ's site says 8'10" and I know it's high enough for me to need to attach a lamp BEFORE I raise it, LOL. I actually can use my Coleman stove inside w/o worrying about gas or fire hazards. It's NOT cheap but truly worthy for a longterm purchase.

I want to point out that Kingquad is spot on regarding canvas tents. Quite durable and longlasting! My only prob is it's difficult for this particular woman to put up solo due to weight of product. I'm NOT discussing my weight with no one (:D) yet will admit to being 5'4.75" tall, LOL.
              Thanks for the cheaper site

How long does it take you to put up the 1312?

Also, do you have a link to which paha que shelter you have?

Comment

We just bought a Kodiak 9x12....its heavy but we love it so far. We got the screen and wall enclosure. It has lots of room....but it is heavy...

I would look at Familytentcamping web site for a good price on the tent (free shipping) http://www.familytentcamping.com/sit...28/page/926237
                and competitive edge for the enclosure http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.c...CategoryID=103

Comment

Mike, Thanks for the links. I will keep checking back for a ground cloth for my kodiak. I also like the vestuble for the bow flex.

Comment

Sure....I got to get in a 10 x 10 bow flex the other day at a retail store. I thought it was pretty cool. just not as big as the cabin. I could find a use for both
                    And the cabin also has the canopy and walls or screen which gives you a lot of extra room.
                    I also saw the canopy for the bow flex....interesting.

Comment

I would like to see a side by side comparison. I have the 10x14 bow flex 8 man. I have looked at the 9X12 cabin, but it is only 108sq ft, compared to 140sq ft. The awning would make a huge difference though.

Comment

Hi,
                        Great fun reading your posts! Kind of like personal consumer reports - probably not a bad idea to check with Consumers Reports as they test and rate just about everything.
                        I noticed that Rei and Amazon have some great summer prices and sales on tents if you are debating. Take a look at http://www.greatcampingfun.com
                        Good luck finding the one you like the best at a great price!

Comment

I ended up ordering the Eureka Copper Canyon 1312. I'm sure the Kodiaks are exceptionally nice, but it's a bit much for our current and near future needs. Thanks for everyone's opinions on that.

Now I'm looking for a screen room that will shield from bugs and the rain. It needs to be able to fit around a campsite picnic table, and would possibly ideally have space on one end for cooking, and the other for a pack and play... Currently considering this Large Kelty http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-40819411...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Comment

I just noticed you're from the East Coast. I suggest calling some of the campgrounds where you plan to visit & check the size of the campsites. Here in the mid-Atlantic, I'm pretty sure your tent, a big screen room, and your car will not fit within the designated space. Or, you may be limited to the availability of the few sites that are large enough for all that. For example, on a recent outing, I had a 3P tent and a 10x10 shelter from REI. With the picnic table, fire pit, and my car -- that was it. No room for anything else. Not really any room to walk around either.
                            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I never took size in consideration.. Most of the campsites from the main campground we go to have room for a 35' RV, and the rest have room for 25'. Instead of limiting the equipment because of the campground, with an infant I'll be limiting campgrounds because of the equipment

Comment

Working...
                              X