Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seam Sealer & Seam Tape & Water Repellant. Which order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seam Sealer & Seam Tape & Water Repellant. Which order?

Got a new tent. It's already seam-taped from the factory. I already seam sealed it inside with some cheapo Coleman seam sealer in a bottle from Walmart. Just thought I'd ask, before I do everything out of order. Thanks, guys and gals.

Re: Seam Sealer & Seam Tape & Water Repellant. Which order?

Well, no responses, so I just used some Coleman seam sealer on the outside too without using any seam tape. Should I spray the material with Atsko Silicone Water-Guard also?

Comment

Following is my understanding of tent fabric care as suggested by the manufacturers: Assuming your tent is nylon or polyester, your only maintenance is seam sealing once a year with a seam sealer on the inside of the threads. Apply it with a small paintbrush rather than the applicator, which typically encourages you to use too much. Ripstop nylon and polyester are tighly woven and are waterproof, the coating is used to add UV resistance to extend the life of the rainfly and watertightness to the bathtub floor. That's why many raincoats are made of polyester or nylon - other than the seams, they're waterproof (although not breathable). The inner breathable tent body is meant to breath and requires no seam sealing where it is covered by the rainfly. If you do attempt to waterproof your tent with a spray, the place where would do it is on the inside of the bathtub floor. Be cautioned however that these coatings are factory applied and bonded to the material, not simply sprayed on. Should you perform your own polyurethane spray coatings, be prepared in a season or two to experience "delaminating", or a small snowstorm inside your tent. Don't ask me why I know this...
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks a ton, guys.

I think I'll just stick with the seam sealer for now since I always tarp if a rain is coming anyways. Looks like I'll just let the seam sealer totally dry & cure today and take it down for storage tonight

Comment

It is a good idea when seam sealing to apply the goop to both the outside and inside of every seam, including the rain-fly. Then let dry. Normally, what we do every autumn when we camp is to pitch the tent and then seal the seams. Our camping usually lasts between 5 -10 days and that allows the goop to dry completely.
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

One small pleasure of my Sierra Designs Bedouin 6, besides it's other cutting-edge features (26 pockets, 6 cup holders, dual clotheslines, dual full vestibules, etc.) are the use throughout of sealed seams. They must have found a way to easily mass-produce sealed seams otherwise why the change? I sure don't miss the extra work each year one bit and it's one less tent to seam seal!
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Have to ask: don't mean to hi-jack this thread, Do canvas tents need to have seams sealed etc. like the ones talked about
              above? We have a Kodiak 9x12 but the directions say nothing about sealing seams other than to spray the entire tent
              to close the pores in a sense...

Comment

No worries, you're not a hi-jacker! When we bought ours I sprayed it down with water first, to close the pores of the canvas. Then let it sit in the sunny summer sun of Las Vegas(where I originally hailed from) for three or four days. Then struck-down the tent. In a couple of months we decided to go camping and rain was in the forecast. I brought along the seam sealer just in case. It poured like the dickens and we were fine and dandy. Now in our 3rd year with the Kodiak 9x12 I hauled it out this spring and sprayed it down again with water. Then after it dried out, unbeknownst to me my bride went out and seam-sealed entirely(I was on a business trip). No worries. We also erect tarps over the king of tents if rain is in the forecast. We have never had a problem with a leaking Kodiak Canvas Tent. With nylon, you bet your bottom dollar you had better seam seal. Good luck! Keep us posted and pics certainly help, wish I had more to share but haven't been taking my camera gear with as much, we are trying to get away from taking too much stuff. Guess I need to get a compact p&s camera. lol!

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                  One small pleasure of my Sierra Designs Bedouin 6, besides it's other cutting-edge features (26 pockets, 6 cup holders, dual clotheslines, dual full vestibules, etc.) are the use throughout of sealed seams. They must have found a way to easily mass-produce sealed seams otherwise why the change? I sure don't miss the extra work each year one bit and it's one less tent to seam seal!
                  Wow, that's a lot of pockets and accessories. Nice . I wish more tents had more "shelving units" and etc. It's not like it isn't hard to mass produce.

Comment

Manufacturer's have come along way with sealed seams in newer 2011/12 tents. Some tents don't require or require as much seam sealer. It is best to read the manufacturer's instructions and follow their advice. No matter what opinions are, from anyone here including me, they are just opinions!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X