New Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gear

We just purchased a Coleman Instant Tent 6 Person, and a Screen Room to go with it. Our first trip will be at a campsite in Tupper Lake. Now we need some extras ... any ideas? Thanks in advance for your comments and recommendations.

Re: New Gear

Boring and mundane yet soo necessary: stronger tent stakes than the ones provided by Coleman or really any of the larger tent manufacturers.
    I'm partial to Coleman's glow in the dark plastic "V" stakes for good traction in most types of ground. A hardware store rubber mallet works nicely for pounding. I've also a Coleman plastic tent mallet but hmmm it's great for pulling stakes out but hasn't much weight for pounding them in. I normally leave it home.

Lighting: Coleman makes some good ones and really which one you choose depends on whether you prefer propane, white gas or batteries. Batteries are more expensive to operate but safer for kiddos to operate so that's what I went with. Stay away from Cabela's house lamps. Kinda wonky, gives off less light and the dim switch dies fast.

Bedding: I'm now of an age where sleeping comfort rules. Own suede flocked air mattresses (2 twin, 1 queen) from Coleman yet I understand WM sells a house brand as well. Be sure to get the suede flocked variety as it's less slippery than non. I use down quilts, blankets and bedding from home instead of spending money on sleeping bags. A down filled L/R decorative pillow is fine for sleeping on my end and easier to pack than a full sized bed pillow.

Cooking: I stand by my vintage white gas Coleman 2 burner stove and it stands by me. Bought it via CL for dirt cheap. Boils water fast for pasta, rice cooking and coffee. Also good for general cooking but I use my Weber for most of that.
    Speaking of which a family of up to 4 can comfortably cook on a Weber charcoal Go Anywhere. Folds up small, no problem with ash retrieval (like my first one, the Smokey Joe Gold) and takes up little space on a picnic table.

Cooking utensils: I started car camping w/a take from home 12" CI skillet, 3.5 or 4 qt Capahlon pot, straight from a local thrift shop and dollar store 16" non stick skillet. The dollar store purchase hit the trash can the first week. I've added specialty cook ware since then yet in truth could do most anything I wanted to with the original 2 pieces. Disposable aluminum pans are useful for indirect cooking on the grill as well as supplemental cooking containers. A silicone utensil like this:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...n-spatula.aspx

is a true multi tasker even if this isn't the exact style I personally prefer (can't find a pic). Great for cleaning pots out, spooning, stirring and mixing. Can even function as a true spatula in a pinch.

I go no where w/o this beauty when grilling:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...eel-tongs.aspx

Turns meats + veggies w/ ease and transfers same to plates. The locking mechanism is long lasting and truly gripes your food with no "oops" moments. Can also be used to move hot coals.

Should this be your first trip and you are not sure if you want to invest more.....just buy paper goods to eat off of and with. Burn them in your fire pit when finished with 'em. Same for plastic eating utensils but don't burn 'em. To cut down on space we re wash our plastic goods including disposable drinkware. I just bought this set of stackable acrylic drinking glasses (I particularly like that each is a diff colour so all recall what cup belongs to whom):

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PR...rs%2C-Set-of-4

yet in truth wish they stacked smaller. I'll find my "dream glasses" eventually but these will do for now.
    Should you like a hot beverage in the morn an insulated metal mug will keep warm longer than regular mugs. Or just bring an insulated thermos pour the bev in there and partake as needed.

Here's a camping gear list that may be of use to ya. You certainly do not need everything mentioned:

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/camping/checklist.htm

Have fun and HTH!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

NYCgrrl, my wife and I thank you very much for the information that you have provided. Very informative and it looks like we are headed to the Coleman Store once again today! We never thought of some the things you mentioned! Have a great day and thanks again.

Comment

Oh goodness and thank you! I suspect other regulars are out and about soaking up rays this weekend and and I envy 'em to the nth!
        It's sort of OK as by next weekend I'll be out of the city and no one will here a bo peep from me for two solid weeks!:D.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          I go no where w/o this beauty when grilling:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...eel-tongs.aspx

Turns meats + veggies w/ ease and transfers same to plates. The locking mechanism is long lasting and truly gripes your food with no "oops" moments. Can also be used to move hot coals.
          I was literally trying to come up with the things I need (want) for my next camp outing and came across these earlier this afternoon after realizing I needed something for grabbing the bake potatoes out of the hot coals... Excellent reviews on amazon. Then I came here and saw that you suggest them! I think the 16" version would be perfect for my needs. Not thinking, I had originally purchased a set from walmart that had plastic ends... wouldn't work too well moving things around in a fire.

And the camping checklist is helpful too!

Comment

You my want to look into the rainfly for the instant tent. We have the 10x14 one and it leaked a little during a strong rainstorm. I do mean a little, it wasn't bad considering how strong the storm was.

We really love our instant tent. It truly is very easy to set up and take down.

I've never had luck with air mattresses not getting leaks. We use cots in our tent with a sleeping pad on top. This option works well for us.

Comment

Oh man. Where do I start with this thread . I'll be back in a bit :D

Comment

Yes we did purchase the rain fly for our tent as well as cots and sleeping pad, which came with them. We purchased everything from the local Coleman Store. You have to ask for the deals because they can always do much better! We managed to save a considerable amount of money even on the sale items! Thanks every one for you input. It is greatly appreciated.

Comment

don't forget about folding chairs for sitting outside, luggable-loo for those middle of the night nature calls,TP, bath towels, personal hygiene
                  items, extra tarps for ground cloth under tent or over the tent area for shade/rain protection, extra rope for tie-downs
                  extra dry socks/clothes/rain gear,just in case...
                  of course food and drink, maybe a book or two to read, fishing gear,if so inclined, camera for pictures (don't forget to share them here)
                  hope you enjoy your first outing,let us know how it went...

Comment

I know how you feel! We just started getting into camping a couple months ago, and everything is new gear for us. We are not scrimping, we figure buy good outright and not have to rebuy later.

My biggest problem is finding 2 or more great items that do similar things and having to decide. Case in point right now, I am trying to decide on a day pack/hydration system. I have narrowed it down to 2, but still undecided! But it is a fun problem to have.

Michael

Comment

Every time I go into the Coleman Store I feel like a kid in a candy store! I question myself, do I really need this? or that? My answer is Yes I do, so I buy it! My wife will tell you that I like gadgets and that I go 200% into what ever I am doing! Anyway, thanks for everyone's input, it is appreciated.

Comment

We do not have a Colemans near by (less that 100 miles). But I am partial to Coleman. Our first time to camp in 40 some odd years. We have been getting somethings every month when uncle sam's doles out the $. As soon as the temp. gets lower than 85 we are going. The couple of things we need yet are the ones that take the most looking to find exactly what we want. A rechargeable fan and light, and we think a top of car carrier. I think a small utility trailer might be what we wind up doing if we are able to handle camping.

We wound up buying two Coleman 8 person tents one at BP and the other at Walley world. They are close out tents and both had great reviews. This way we can take grand children (older ones 11 and up) or their patents. I have real bad knees and we found a folding queen bed (on sale $ 94. reg. $164.) Tryed that out already and it is very nice and comfortable) What besides prophane lanters have you for a light inside the tent?

Comment

Coleman stoves and lanterns in gas or propane are great and what made them famous. Their tents are simply to sponge off their good name and are on par with the cheap house brands of WallyWorld or T*arget, as they all come out of the same factories overseas. Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed - the whole point is to get out there and throw some pine cones! :cool:
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                            Coleman stoves and lanterns in gas or propane are great and what made them famous. Their tents are simply to sponge off their good name and are on par with the cheap house brands of WallyWorld or T*arget, as they all come out of the same factories overseas. Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed - the whole point is to get out there and throw some pine cones! :cool:

Well for the price I paid 99 for the 17 x 10 and 64 for the 14 x 10. So if they last a couple of years I would be pleased. SO we shall see, thanks for the warning.

Comment

Farout, use the money you saved to buy some self-inflating sleeping pads - air mattresses and cots have no place for camping unless you only plan on going out in July and August. Brands like ThermaRest, MegaMat, REI, Kelty and EMS offer a quality night's rest without the heat-sink effect mattresses introduce. An alternative would be using electric blankets or a Mr. Buddy Heater during the night to counteract the effect of outside cold air being absorbed by the mattress and sucking the heat out of you while you try to rest.
                              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X