anyone ever owned one of these...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone ever owned one of these...

guide gear tee pee tent 18x18. i've been wanting one although all the feed back on this tent has great reviews on sportsmanguide.com, it would still be cool to hear from someone who has owned one of these or any of Guide Gear products. thanks

Last edited by pitmaster; 07-11-2012, 07:40 AM.

Re: anyone ever owned one of these...

Never owned one but it sure looks nice for camping in. My kids would love it!
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Comment

lol..mark. yea, my kid already loves it just looking at it. the only thing i've read bad on it so far outside sportsman guide is the guy ropes break easy. but, like with so many other tents i've purchased in the past, if the guy ropes look cheap i replace them with good old american made paracord before i put the tent up. i have plenty of one one, two man, and a couple of 4 man tents, but my family tent crapped out on me july 6 after 19 years of service. the family tent was used 5 times a year for 19 years and the amazing thing is it was referred to by others as the tent "i wouldn't on a ozark trail tent if it was given to me", "seriously, you wasted your money buying an ozark trail?", "only losers buy cheap tents", etc. etc. etc. welll, the cool part about was i didn't pay a dime for it, it was given to me for a christmas present by my mother in law who knows absolutely nothing about camping, but i kept it anyway. the other cool part was it outlasted all my friends "high dollar" tents used only once or twice a year by an average of 10 years. anyways, i'm in the market for a new family tent and the tee pee just appears cool and different for a change

Comment

It does look neat and should give you plenty of space. You might want to check out the reviews on Amazon. They don't look to good however with a few modifications such as sealing the seams, replacing the guy lines and stakes ( I do this on almost all tents I purchase) You might end up with a decent tent for under about $200. Amazon has a decent return policy if it does not look good once you get it.

Comment

thanks, diveralan. i just came from amazon when the email text came through that i had a reply here. i'm just like you buddy, i seam seal, waterproof, and change guy lines on pretty much everything i buy tent wise no matter the manufacturer. thanks for your input and it is much appreciated!!!

Comment

I was just looking at the "yurtini" which is along similar lines with steeper walls so maybe more useable space, but at $1300 I nearly fell of my chair. Great new take on a tried and true design. Keep us posted as I would love to hear what you do.
            Total night under canvas 2012: 22

Comment

sure thing matee. i think my brother and i are gonna split the cost and dual purchase it just to try it out. we've done this on many purchases before and it always works out great for the both of us. i will keep you posted for sure if we decide to get it. yes, 1300 is ridiculous in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by pitmaster View Post
                the family tent was used 5 times a year for 19 years and the amazing thing is it was referred to by others as the tent "i wouldn't on a ozark trail tent if it was given to me", "seriously, you wasted your money buying an ozark trail?", "only losers buy cheap tents", etc. etc. etc.
                We purchased am Ozark Trail Tent from Walmart ( $75.00 ) and just finished 8 days of camping with 6 days of rain with some heavy down pours! Our Ozark Trail did not leak! Not once! Other campers who where tenting didn't fair so well ... saturated!! Hmmm, $ for $, does it really matter?

We had fun and enjoyed the whole trip despite the rain! For now, we love our Ozark Trail and I do not consider myself a loser!!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnie View Post
                  We purchased am Ozark Trail Tent from Walmart ( $75.00 ) and just finished 8 days of camping with 6 days of rain with some heavy down pours! Our Ozark Trail did not leak! Not once! Other campers who where tenting didn't fair so well ... saturated!! Hmmm, $ for $, does it really matter?

We had fun and enjoyed the whole trip despite the rain! For now, we love our Ozark Trail and I do not consider myself a loser!!
                  i actually loved my OT for the many, many, many years of use i had it. i've looked at another one that i like. proper maint and care given to any tent and the tent will last. i have a friend that bought a wenzel about 10 years ago (that company has been around since the mid to lat 1800s) for a super cheap price of like 49 bucks (i think it's size is 15x9). he shopped on ebay and got aluminum poles, put the the kelty bright guy ties on it, uses tyvec as his foot print, and and waterproofed it with the spray cans of water seal at first, then switched to the thompson's water seal in the spray can. i think he ended with a total after the guys lines and aluminum poles and tent with 125.00 in it all.
                  what size OT do you have, the 14x9?

Comment

Hi Pitmaster: We have the 12 x 8 Dome Tent. It is large enough for my wife and I, two folding cots and night stand. We use totes for our cloths and they fit perfectly under the cots. I originally had the Coleman Instant Tent 6 Person but was not to our expectations as new so it got returned and we purchased the Ozark Trail. We actually like the OT better! Took only a few extra minutes for set up. Now I am waiting for our next outing!

Comment

thanks, johnnie. i've looked in to another one as well just because of the experience i had with the previous one. when we family tent, we use cots as well and correct, the bags fit perfect under the cots. when it's just my son and i, we ground sleep and use a smaller tent (4 person). just something about this tee pee that makes me want it lol

Comment

Working...
                      X