screen house advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screen house advice

Hello...I am looking for a screen house to put the picnic table in while camping and also contain the toddler while camping. the bugs have been bad this year.

I don't know what brand is best. Which are easier to set up than others. I saw a few first up brands that I thought may be nice. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Jen

Re: screen house advice

I recently picked up a Kelty Veil House screen house. It is 10 x10 which is a little on the small side but has worked fine for me nonetheless. The Kelty is well made as they use good quality aluminum poles. It is a dome type design so it is fairly easy to put up. This particular model must be a closeout as it isn't on Keltys web site. But Amazon sells them and you can probably pick one up on Ebay for less than $100.00. Overall I am very satisfied with this screen house.

Comment

I have a Eureka hexagon screen house. It's 14x12 in a hexagon shape (of course) and works great! Picnic table fits with plenty of room around it for walking, storing things etc. I cannot say enough about how well it has held up too. It is about 20 years old, and been used a couple dozen times. Other than one small (smaller than a dime) sized hole in the mesh, there are no holes, rips, or tears. It wishtands winds and weather without a problem. I cannot say enough good about it.

Comment

I've a Paha Que 12*12 and it makes me very happy. Won't deny that it's expensive AND hard to put up the first few times for 1 - 2 peeps. Piece of cake for 3-4 persons.

This is the criteria I used when choosing a screen house:

High ceilings to keep from feeling claustrophobic and since I set up my camp kit within I want less possibilities of a fire.

Since the avg. picnic table is 8' ft long I wanted a 12' min. space to assure I could walk around the table w/ ease.

A lot of tent stake points to ensure critters cannot enter the screen room.
        Lots of guy lines which I used for the first time this summer during a tropical storm.
        At base where tent hits the ground I prefer a "tent lip" of at least...3" to make it harder for critters to enter.

More than one entrance for easier entry.

A denier for the mesh that assures little interaction with "no see'ums" and bigger bugs. Can't recall what my research minimum was but the Paha Que uses 1.8 oz

My screen house is big enough to use as a camp kit/extra B/R(using cots not air mattresses) and L/R space simultaneously during bad weather.

Oh yes and currently, I'm using the screen room floor as a tarp under my sleeping tent. Beats out the flimsy custom footprint I purchased for my Copper Canyon sleeping tent. Due to the amazing amt of stake points at the base of the screen room I've no need for a floor when setting up. As well I can just strain water "in the tent" instead of out side which is good fer when i'm feeling lazy and cooking.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
        X