Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selecting New Tents For A Boy Scout Troop and I'm looking for suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting New Tents For A Boy Scout Troop and I'm looking for suggestions!

I'm the Scoutmaster for my boyhood Troop and I'm an Eagle Scout. I've been camping for a little more than 20 years now and have had many great adventures. When I took over as Scoutmaster and began looking through our Troops gear I noticed that someone before me decided to get away from small tents that can be easily packed in a backpack and went for the big 6, 8, and 10 man tents. Sadly upon setting them up and inspecting them, I found all of them had either all or most of their stakes missing, (which is to be expected so not too bummed about that) places where you can see daylight through the creases in the fabric from being packed away, broken tent poles, broken zippers, missing tarps, and probably my least favorite thing to see in a tent...Mildew! It's sad because those big tents for Boy Scouts were honestly a waste of money... My feelings are thus... The more boys you pack into one tent the longer you're begging them to keep you awake as they'll want to play all night... And that playing usually leads to tents being destroyed... So I'm on the hunt for some new smaller tents...

I'm very picky about what I'd like to get in a tent. I have been given a budget of $100.00/tent. And what I'm looking for is something that is a durable set of tents. Remember these will be for teenaged boys to sleep in, without mom or dad in there keeping them settled down and not tearing up the tent.

What I'm looking for is fairly simple:

3 person tents (since that usually equates to a 2 person tent). We live in Florida so ventilation is a must as is a good tent fly. I'd like to have the fly go all the way down to the ground around the tent (since Florida rain doesn't fall down it falls sideways... Don't want it blowing under the edges of the tent fly and if the fly goes all the way down that's usually a non issue). A sturdy pole system that won't collapse when the wind starts blowing during one of our famous thunderstorms (with hurricane force winds that do sometimes sneak up on us in the middle of the night no matter how clear the weather channel said it would be). They need to be light enough to be strapped to a 12 year olds back pack. Also if possible I'd like to find tents that have a vestibule they can leave dirty shoes under outside their tents and not worry about them getting soaked if a storm rolls in during the night. And a proper footprint to lay down under the tent to protect the floor. I like the tents that have the tarp material and is designed like a tub they seem to stay the driest inside at least that has been my experience.

I have looked at so many tents online and in person at so many different stores that my eyes are going cross eyed trying to narrow down the search. I expect to have to use waterproofing treatment on any tents that we get before their maiden voyage into the wild but would also want the seams to be fully taped and sealed. Zippers need to be the big ones that are easy to open and close. Don't want any of those zippered holes in the bottom of the tent like the ones we had when I was a Boy Scout (the idea was you could just open that zipper and then shake out all the dirt and leaves through that hole or sweep it out through it. It was probably a great idea in an arid climate, but not so great in a wet marshland like Florida) I'd love finding ones that the tent clips to the poles (that prevents a lot of wicking when the tent body isn't touching the fly due to the way the poles go trough the tent pole sleeves).

To summarize what I feel makes a good Scout tent:

1.) 3 person in size (which normally is really only a 2 person tent).
    2.) Must be at least a 3 season tent. (We don't really have to many opportunities to travel to snow country.)
    3.) Tent body has clips to attach to the poles instead of sleeves you pass the poles through.
    4.) Tent fly goes all the way down to protect from wind blowing the water through the wall seams.
    5.) Heavy duty zippers that are easy to open and close.
    6.) Good ventilation capabilities.
    7.) Light enough a small 12 year old boy won't be to strained by having it added to his backpack on a hike.
    8.) Strong tent poles that won't allow the tent to collapse during the wind and rain.
    9.) Fully taped seams.

Optional features:

1.) Bottom of the tent is made from tarp material and is shaped like a tub so that there are no seams touching the ground. (Plus it's a more durable floor material in my opinion)
    2.) A properly fitting footprint for protecting the floor of the tent. (If we have to we'll make footprints for the tents using tarps, rivets, glue, and nylon straps. I learned how a while back on YouTube but would rather a commercially made footprint)
    3.) Vestibules that close up so they can leave dirty shoes and other gear outside their tent safe from weather.
    4.) Built in HVAC... OK, OK, OK I'm kidding on this one!

So in order to help me start narrowing things down so that I can get my Scouts in some dry tents I've come here seeking suggestions on tent selection. If you'll make a suggestion of a tent model and why you're glad you got the particular tent model you're suggesting that would be great. If you'll supply the tent model name, I'll look up the features of the tent and go from their.

Remember my budget is $100.00 per tent and if you know of a supplier of the tent or tents that you're suggesting that is, "Boy Scout Friendly" (as in they like to give discounts to the BSA...) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, Tell me the tent model and where you got your best deal from.

Thanks Very Much,

Scoutmaster of Troop 160
    Boy Scouts Of America
    North Florida Council

Re: Selecting New Tents For A Boy Scout Troop and I'm looking for suggestions!

Howdy brokenroads, thank you for taking the time to ask and explain your question. We are happy that you are here! Other campateers here will certainly chime in, just got to give it a little time. It's a mighty big question that will take a heaping bucket of thought. Right off the bat, a small canvas tent come to mind because the zippers are of a metal design and can withstand abuse from young rowdy boy scouts. On most lightweight nylon/polyester tents the zippers are plastic and will not last the abuse of camping with young boy scouts. Even the fabric of these small tents won't last. However you hail from Florida and not only will the heat get to you but the humidity is horrible. Just wanted to welcome you and say that there are campers here thinking. Thanks for your patience.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I appreciate the thoughts. Indeed a canvas tent would last longer and be more durable. I think that will be a non issue though as long as I never let more than 2 boys per tent! Haha. Most dome tents have a descent tear resistance and are stretchable enough that if the set their gear up against the wall it should at worst get their gear a little wet from wicking. Oh but that's ok since the humidity inside the tent will be high enough that the dew will be falling inside the tent as well as outside of it hahahaha. We don't have to worry too much about condensation from our breath. As high as the humidity is almost every day it kinda makes things sticky first thing in the morning wether you have good ventilation or not. Im wanting ventilation to allow air circulation to help keep things cooled off! The real downfall to a canvas tent though is definitely the weight. I helped a fellow Scoutmaster pack his up after a weekend training course we both attended and oh my stars was it a beast. My 12 yro scouts wouldn't even be able to hike with the tent poles strapped to their packs hahahaha! But they are really awesome when it comes to sheer strength and water repelling ability and can be retreated over and over for many years to keep that water out! Can't beat them when it comes to long term camping where you're either driving straight up to camp or packing it in on horse and mules!

Comment

Very good HS!!!!!! Excellent advice! I just ordered one for myself for up-coming solo journeys to backpack & fly fish the alpine waters of the Uinta Mts, for next spring! This winter I'm getting my blown-out left knee totally replaced and will stop me for no more than a month. Doctors say 3 months, but I don't believe them! Six months after back surgery in 2009, I was camping again without a wheel-chair. They said then that I needed 2 years recovery time, hogwash!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

HopSnapper... In my original post I'm pretty sure I gave some very solid reasons why I want taped seems and clips instead of sleaves for the tent poles... So I'll repeat it... Our thunder storms happen very suddenly with or without the weather channels permission. I have slept through many nights of hurricane force winds and if our rainfalls sideways that should tell you it gets wet and you need taped seams and to get tents that do as much as possible to keep you dry! We have a budget for tents as well as a budget for activities. When I was a scout we had several nice 2 man tents that lasted us all 6 of my years as a scout plus several more... Why? Because my Scoutmaster only allowed 2 to a tent. Taped seams and clips in a very wet and windy climate which is where we are from are a necessity not a luxury.

Most people don't get that nor do they believe that about Florida but its very true. I've camped in too much bad weather right here in Florida and southern Georgia to buy into the hype of getting some cheap and crappy tents. A vestibule is a luxury not a necessity as again my original post states... $100.00/ tent really isn't that much and doesn't get you very much tent in today's world but it does get you descent tents not great not super good but definitely not crap either that will leak within a season! And no 20 years ago those tents would have been considered stone age tents I remember because I was a young Boy Scout my self and had already owned and had been dissapointed by a tent just like the ones you've suggested. Why was I disappointed because of the wind and rain that comes in buckets around here. You may not believe me but we get 3-4inches of rain in a hours time in these parts.

We'll be spending our money on something that will actually suit our needs but thanks for the suggestion. It truly is appreciatted!

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
            Very good HS!!!!!! Excellent advice! I just ordered one for myself for up-coming solo journeys to backpack & fly fish the alpine waters of the Uinta Mts, for next spring! This winter I'm getting my blown-out left knee totally replaced and will stop me for no more than a month. Doctors say 3 months, but I don't believe them! Six months after back surgery in 2009, I was camping again without a wheel-chair. They said then that I needed 2 years recovery time, hogwash!
            I too am a former back surgery patient that was doing fine a month or so after surgery. I had a fragmented disc in my lower back. I've known quite a few knee surgery patients in my years s a life/health insurance agent. Most of them were some really really tough cookies. But the knee is very different from the back. It likes to swell right up like a balloon and takes forever to go back down. And that the lucky ones who had surgery performed by the same surgeon a local NFL and College both use specifically for knee injuries... You may have heard of them. They're the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Florida Gators! Best wishes go out to you and your family during this time. Just don't be upset if you're out of commission for longer than you're expecting based on your back surgery experience! 3 months has been the average for the people I've seen around here before walking without the crutches usually then they have a cane though for a little longer until the swelling goes mostly away! But then they get back to doing the things that they love so there are my words of encouragement. Just remember wether it takes a month or 3 to get you back on your feet without all the pain of a bad knee chances are high you'll be walking around on a knee that thanks you for having the surgery! Just do yourself a favor and do whatever your dr says on this one. The back surgery typically doesn't replace a joint at all. This is a replacement joint or at minimum a half a replacement joint that has to carry half your weight around on it... Not something you want to screw up because of being bull headed and not allowing your body to heal!

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox
              If I wanna be bull headed over a silly knee surgery that I have been putting off since 2002, I'll be bull headed!! Any joint is gonna swell after it's been assaulted by surgery, duh!
              A few things first, a most sincere thank you for your service to our country. My dad served 20 years in the Navy and I don't believe the citizens of this great country could ever show enough gratitude for the work everyone of our military personnel has done. (from the lowest ranking pencil pusher to the man and women on the frontline each has sacrificed for our freedom)So thank you from the bottom of this civilians heart!

The "bullheaded" comment was spoken out of love man! My dad was changing the brakes on his logging trailer within about a week of having his back surgery! He's my dad and I love him more than just about anyone else... But he's definitely bullheaded...

Third, I haven't shot down anyone's suggestions without investigation. I know what type of tent he was suggesting and why he was suggesting it. And it was an appreciated suggestion. I'm not looking for a magical tent just something a little nicer than what I had to deal with as a kid... Funny, how I seem to recall stating my troop had the same tents for more years than I was a Scout. Which was due to being taught proper care of a tent and not being allowed to all pile up in the same tent. I'm not looking for anything magical but I am looking for something a little nicer with the features I listed... That's why I put things like vestibules under the optional category. I've seen plenty of tents that fit the bill but I came here to find out what has made other people happy. Why here and not just reading the customer reviews that have been left on retailers websites? Well actually I've read those too, however, most of them were written after only one outing in fair weather. Usually when you come to a forum people suggest things that they've used multiple times in good and bad weather.

I never mentioned 120 mph winds but I've definitely slept through 65 mph winds and I hear them calling those hurricane force winds every year during hurricane season.

And lastly, Thank you for your military service sir! It really is appreciated by me and a whole lot of other people around here! Best of luck with your knee surgery! I hope you are luckier than everyone else I've ever known who's had a knee replacement! I hope that you're not laid up like they were for a minimum of 3 months. But one last time because I really do mean this...Thank you!

Comment

Right off the bat, I will say that your criteria is very strict considering your Budget and the size you want. May I ask why you want a 3 person tent rather than 2 for kids? 30sqft should be comfortable enough to fit two kids in sleeping bags without feeling too tight.

Also, you never stated how many tents you need. The reason this is important is because you have to remember that not every dealer with a good deal stocks a ton of a particular tent you have set your sights on. It's good to know quantity so that a couple of tent suggestions can be thrown your way rather than one so you can maybe mix it up with some 2per and 3per tents.

We personally cannot help you because of your budget. $100 for 3 person, and many 2 person, tents with your criteria is basically cost. Meaning, that's what retailers like us pay for it.

I would say your best bet is to shop big box stores. I can say you should avoid Coleman tents. Even though we carry them, they really will not stand up to the conditions you described. It's tough because Coleman makes 3 person tents for dirt cheap. But you get what you pay for I guess.

Sorry we couldn't help you out more on this. Let us know if your budget is a bit more flexible. Or maybe you can find yourself a deal on The North Face Flint 3 tent. I honestly think even the Flint 2 will be good enough for two boyscouts to sleep comfortably in. The North Face will most definitely stand up to abuse. They are pricier though, but meet and exceed all of your criteria.

By the way, you're going to have to buy footprints separately as well the majority of the time. Keep that in mind. I know you said it's optional, but I HIGHLY recommend you get them (or make your own like you said... would be an excellent boyscout task).

-Leo
                Last edited by CampGearDotCom; 08-02-2012, 07:55 AM.
                Tents | Sleeping Gear | Backpacks | Accessories

Comment

Ok folks let me clarify something I should have said in the original post. It's something I thought I had said but didn't. So, my apologies. I said 3person tent because I've seen tents that we're 7'x7' labeled as 3person tents and the same size labeled as a 2 person tent. I'm 5'11" and 200lbs myself and I do have a couple boys that are taller and bigger than me that are only 12-13 years old (they're not fat just big for their age... Must be something in the water hahaha. The rest of my 12yro Scouts though are under 5' and might be 100 lbs soaking wet in a snow suit, wearing steel toed combat boots, and a diving belt.) So a tent that's 7'x 54" such as the REI Camp Dome 2 Tent (which retails for $99.50) would probably do ok, as long as 2 of the bigger boys don't try to share a tent with each other. They sell a footprint for it for $24.50 which we can purchase later.

So many manufactures seem to have different criteria for what they call a 2 or 3 person tent. My apologies for saying "1.) 3 person in size (which normally is really only a 2 person tent)." I said that purely because alot of the tents listed as 2 person that I've seen were alot smaller than the REI one. So again, my apologies, hope that clarifies a little better as to what I'm looking for. This is why my eyes are getting blurry.

I know REI makes quality gear and I know I could order 1000 of them if I needed them I'd have to wait until they were able to fill the back order but I could get them. Im needing 10 tents (5 this year and 5 next year that's what our committee has said to look for). Waiting to get the quantity I need is not an issue. Last point of the Scout Law says a Scout is Patient! Just kidding it doesn't say that but, if they ever take a vote on making changes I think that word would win my vote!

Another thing I think I failed to express is that my list was broken down by what I feel a tent should have (and there is such a thing as close enough to the list) and of course the optional list is self explanatory. However the REI Tent does have all of the basic features I'm looking for minus being a 3 man tent. So that's what I'd consider close enough since it has everything else... It has a fly that goes all the way down to below the bottom seams, clips for the poles (which are aluminum instead of fiberglass shouldn't have problems with them giving under wind), it's considered a 3 season tent, it's right at 6 lbs. (if we we're to get the footprints for them), lots of ventilation, taped seams, and the floor is tubbed. So tents that meet what I'm looking for including a vestibule for this price range might not exist but there's tents out there with the rest of it for $100 and less. I'm just looking to see if anyone has any other suggestions on tents that they've used and had a good run with.

They exist I've seen too many of them but would like to get some recommends from people that have used hem more than just one season. For most of the people that right their review on a retailers websites I get the sinking feeling that one season means less than 3 outings.

HogSnapper great call on the "clearance sales" that are sure to be coming soon. Since I'm still in the shopping stage and trying to find something that's suitable enough to fit our needs for years to come and they have to be approved by my troop committee before any money exchanges hands that's a really good idea to wait for the clearance sales. We've held off on buying new tents for the past 9months that I've been Scoutmaster (Following what a wise man once said "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." Unfortunately a Scout troop can't do much of the "Outing part of Scouting" without tents and ours are pretty close to being all used up). But I think we can get them to gimp along through the rest of summer until the fall clearance sales hit! Great advice! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                    brokenroads, I was born and raised in Florida. Did all my scouting there and I remember the weather well. Camping while wet and with wet gear was just the way it was for us in the 40 years I lived there and, like you, we didn't let storms scare us off. I guess things have changed a bit for kids in the last 20 years.
                    Yeah I don't let it scare me away from going. But I do prefer to have something that doesn't let me and my gear get wet while I'm sleeping in it! I own my own tent so I'm not concerned about me but mine are getting time to replace also it's about 15 years old and has given a lot of dry nights out in the woods while the rain was going full force. Glad to hear you understand the desire for tents that will keep you dry.

I don't need a tent to keep me warm that's what my sleeping bag and clothing is for. But, I do need a tent to keep me dry... I'm still working on learning the ways of building primitive shelters haven't ventured into that area of camping yet. But I've learned a lot about it... It's just that I prefer tents so that I can set it up quickly even in the rain which I have had the pleasure of doing numerous times as I'm sure you have as well.... Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                      If the rain in Florida and keeping dry are your primary criteria, then I suggest you abandon tents altogether and consider hammocks. You can easily put together a hammock and tarp system with a mosquito net and webbing straps for the trees - a complete setup - for one camper for $50 or less. That would stay within your $100/2 camper budget. A hammock with tarp is the best way to stay dry and cool in the tropics and you can pitch the tarp in a way that will repel sideways rain in storms. By going to a system that centers on a tarp, you will open up a whole new world of possibilities plus you can always just use the tarp and go to ground if you're in an area that has no trees. There are endless ways to pitch a tarp and shelter building would be a great training area for you and your scouts to dive into.

Here's how you could do it:
                      Grand Trunk Ultralight $20 http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...0&CS_010=40675
                      coghlan's mosquito net $11 http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86662
                      Then add a cheap tarp and some webbing straps from Walmart for around $10 to finish the system.

Or get something already made like the Byer Moskito Traveller Hammock from REI for $45 http://www.rei.com/product/736088/by...veller-hammock
                      and again add a cheap tarp and some webbing straps from Walmart for around $10 to finish the system.
                      I do like where your train of thought is at problem is that it's only practical for small groups because you need to enough trees to set them up with. Don't get me wrong we do have tons and tons of trees here... What I'm referring to is enough trees within a single campground... I have looked at hammocks though they have tons of benefits and very few drawbacks... Very few. They just aren't as practical for a group of 20 boys plus their leaders to be able to setup as tents are. You can group the tents as tight as you feel comfortable.

At the moment we are working on helping the boys learn the basics of Scouting but I do have plans in the future to take those that are interested to learn primitive methods of camping such as building shelters from the surrounding foliage.

Personally for me I do want one of those Hennessy Hammock Systems I think they're pretty sweet. Just not that practical for a large group cause you'd have to spread out too much in order to have enough trees to setup your hammocks... One day though I do plan to have my troop trained enough that they are going on Patrol as well as Troop campouts. But at this time I'm having to basically start from scratch and teach them the basic methods of Scouting. The patrol method hasnt quite sunk in yet. We're getting there but it's going to be a little longer before we get the boys to understand their role as leaders in the troop and patrol. For the moment its the "follow me boys method" that they understand. For some reason they're just not catching on to those ideas yet. But they are having break throughs every week. Such as wearing uniforms, bringing handbooks to get requirements passed off, learning knots and other basic skills every Scout should know. When I took over none of these things had been happening but we'll get there.

Maybe they'll be interested in hammock camping on their patrol campouts when we get to that point. I'll introduce them to that concept when I get me a Hennessy or perhaps build my own kit as you suggested. But yes sir hammocks have definitely crossed my mind.

Just saw these as I was looking thru campmors web page they look pretty sweet too. You can get them and a nice light tarp made for hammock camping for less than the Hennessy hammock not sure about the quality difference just barely saw them.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...6?cm_vc=PDPZ1#
                      Last edited by brokenroads37502; 08-02-2012, 06:24 PM. Reason: Add a link!

Comment

Check this...Eureka Apex II with rainfly for $97.47. However, it's a 2 man,7' 6" x 4' 11", which I know you mentioned wasn't quite big enough for the 'big boys'.

Maybe you could get a couple of 'big boy' tents for those kids, and use the smaller ones for those that can fit.

Just thinking.

Comment

Eureka! Tetragon series 7 tents offer a good amount of room for two and fair quality (almost full rainfly, bathtub floor, etc.) considering the low price. Any summer swamp camping would be a good time to break out a hammock, in that case you WANT heat loss, hehe!
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

You might want to look at the Slumberjack Trail Tent 3. They are available through Amazon for $71.37. For about $80.00 you can get the Trail Tent 4. I think they have the features you have on your list. I have owned the Trail Tent 4 for over a year and it has served me well.

Comment

Brokenroads....We have been shipping our bucket of stakes deal to Scout troops all over the U.S. http://monkindustries.com/index.php?cPath=43 These stakes were not really designed as tent stakes. They were intended to be heavy duty steel tarp stakes, but the Scouts have evidently found they work great for small tents. We get a couple of orders a week for these going to Scout troops.

These are made from 5/16" diameter steel rod and are 10" long. You can get a bucket of 100 for 75.00 Most of the troops are ordering them in the Safety Yellow color because they are easy to see which prevents a tripping hazard and makes them hard to lose.

Kermit
                              www.monkindustries.com

Comment

Working...
                              X