Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is better in general: national/state vs. private campgrounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is better in general: national/state vs. private campgrounds?

Which is better in general: national/state vs. private campgrounds from a tent camper's perspective?

I posed this question on a RV forum, and the response was influenced by people's rig size. So, for tent campers with no big RV to worry about maneuvering, are national/state campgrounds better or not better than private ones?
    Last edited by New Daddy; 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM.

Re: Which is better in general: national/state vs. private campgrounds?

I'm curious too. I primarily stay at state park campgrounds.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I like the National Forest close to me there are 4 campgrounds there. About a 2 hour drive. Much more private than most of the state campgrounds but they recently closed my favorite place so I'm going to a state park an hour away. Grandson likes it better. Has a playground and generally more kids to play with.

Comment

I have only been to a hand full of National Parks, was not impressed with the upkeep or the friendliness or the willing to help, of the park people.

I have stayed in several State parks from Missouri, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Colorado, Tennessee and others that aren't coming to mind. I have always been impressed with the people that work there and the campers seem to be more relaxed and friendlier. Also the parks seem to be better equipped with water, electric and nice clean bathrooms and showers, and most improvident play grounds for the grand-kids so they can keep going while we rest after the hikes.

Comment

For quality of the campsites privacy, upkeep etc, the general rule is that the National Parks/Forests are the best with State Parks coming second, County Parks third and most private campgrounds a dead last.

There are exceptions, of course and many excellent State Parks are better than some of the worn out over-populated National Parks.

While there is something of a standard in the National Parks, State Parks have a great disparity depending on each state and the money they invest in their parks.

Of course, there is also a great disparity in private campgrounds too, but the vast majority of them range from bad to horrible with campsites being wall to wall and little or no trees or vegetation to separate campsites. A lot of the private sites also seem to be party zones with lots of drinking and noise and kids and dogs and golf carts zooming all around. I cannot for the life of me understand why anybody would stay at most of the private campgrounds I have experienced. Surely, the word "camping" should be dis-used in these places.

Comment

Working...
          X