Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advise on a 10 day camping trip to Zion, Bryce, Grand Teton, and Yellowstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advise on a 10 day camping trip to Zion, Bryce, Grand Teton, and Yellowstone

My husband and I are flying out next week for a 10 day camping trip. Because of where we are going the temperatures will range from the 90's in Zion and all the way down to the high 20's in Yellowstone. We have a great 2 person tent and really good sleeping bags. Here is where I need help. I love the outdoors and love camping, but last time we did a long trip I decided that next time I really want to try to fit into our luggage and weight limits an air mattress. From my research a double air mattress will fit in our tent, but it will almost stretch from side to side with only an inch or two from the sides. I've never camped with an air mattress and I don't know if it will get wet from touching the sides. We are camping with an Eureka Apex XT tent. I really need to make the best choice because I can only pack one or the other. The air mattress or camping pads. Please help me with my decision. My husband could care less, he is fine with either

Thanks!

Re: Need advise on a 10 day camping trip to Zion, Bryce, Grand Teton, and Yellowstone

One can depend on weather reports for southeastern Utah and you may think that taking the air-mattress will be a better nights rest. Nights there can drop quite rapidly and that cold air under you in the air-mattress can cause minor hypothermia while sleeping making the morning's awakening feel stiff and hard to get up. Now going from relative comfort to Yellowstone in September. One can not count on weather reports in those mountains, why because Yellowstone just isn't just a series of mountain ranges but also because it is one of the largest super volcanoes in the world. We just returned from the southwestern backcountry there and our last morning(09/03) was a chilly 29 degrees. With just <(less than) 2" to spare in your synthetic nylon tent, if it rains and/or snows any touching by an air mattress, your arm, heads will cause wicking inside the tent, I would vote that you'll sleep better with sleeping pads than the air-mattress. And beside this might leave more room to pick-up a few souvenirs before your return. Just my $0.02. Have fun, take lots of photos, would love to hear about your trip upon returning and sharing your photos! Good luck!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Re: Need advise on a 10 day camping trip to Zion, Bryce, Grand Teton, and Yellowstone

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I think I am going to just stick with sleeping pads. I wish I could afford to buy the Exped Downmat, but that will have to wait.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X