Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a solar powered, portable shower... any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a solar powered, portable shower... any suggestions?

So I've been looking around online for a light and cheap camping shower similar to this one and I'm keen to hear what other people are using for this. I like to regularly hike and camp but there's not always a decent place to bath so a portable shower could be exactly what I need.

What's the best way to go?

Re: Looking for a solar powered, portable shower... any suggestions?

I have 2 of the same units...the 2.5 & 3 gallon models. I like them. This past June I camped in a park that did not have showers, so I used these. Between the two of them I had enough hot water for both a shower AND rinsing dishes! (heated soapy water to near boiling on the stove for the wash). After all day in the sun, the water was even a tad too hot for a shower...built in thermometer strip showed it was around 120 degrees! Here's a tip. I set mine on a black towel on the ground...the black towel helped them warm up more, insulated them from the ground and also protected them from getting poked by sticks and rocks. When the water was getting too warm I could use the towel to partially shade them and that brought the temp back down a bit (I preferred around 104 degrees...).

They are heavy, so you will need a way to hang them. I had no nearby trees, so I used a 2x2 wedged into the luggage rack on the suv as a pole to hang them from.

Craig
    Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

The pump up garden sprayer works great. I used 4 gallon type and I painted it black. Added a longer hose and shortened the wand. Unscrewed the tip/spray nozzle, removed the plastic tube and threaded the spray tip back at the nozzles control. Very easy to do. It will make more since when you see it.
      Set it I the sun and its nice and warm. You will be surprised how little water you actually use.

Comment

My family and I just have the basic Coleman portable shower.
        They work well, some of us tend to shorten the hose to shower head so it doesn't hang down so far.

Comment

Ive never used one. I always use the river. One of the girls who came with us one time used a coleman shower. it worked pretty good. it was just a pain to heat up the water in a pot then poor it into the bag. It had a hose with a valve and a tarp rapped around a few trees. Not for me, but it worked ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Skid View Post
            So I've been looking around online for a light and cheap camping shower similar to this one and I'm keen to hear what other people are using for this. I like to regularly hike and camp but there's not always a decent place to bath so a portable shower could be exactly what I need.

What's the best way to go?
            The big problem with the bag showers is finding a place to hang it. They can be difficult to fill, especially from a hand pump. Also, the hose is not long enough on many to stretch over from a truck or SUV roof. I prefer the pump-up shower. The ones made from a garden sprayer are great.

Comment

Ok so what kind of sprayer? How big and what to modify? Seems like the sprayer is really a better way to go.

Comment

check out this thread for making a sprayer shower. I tried to make it pretty detailed.
                http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...avy)&highlight=
                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
                X