Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent camping this weekend.

Hey all,

Going out this weekend with my 3 daughters and a couple of their friends. I moved to NC close to 5 years ago and haven't camped since leaving CA. Even then, I had a travel trailer and haven't dusted off the tent in probably close to 10 years!

I coach girls softball year round and just finished our last tournament of 2012 last weekend. Forecast for this weekend is low 70's with high 40's overnight so I thought it was time to end the camping drought.

That said, I set out to the internet for info/reminders and stumbled on this forumn. Thanks to a few hours of scouring through old threads, I hit the store with a great checklist and will be setting my tent up at home today to ensure it's good to go before we head out.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Re: Tent camping this weekend.

Well, the tent is up in the front yard and (as luck would have it) it started raining. Now I get to find out before going out weather or not I'm still waterproof. So far, it looks to be in outstanding shape after being rolled away for so many years. The truck's packed up and ready to go (except for the tent). I'm starting to get excited now. Hope I don't forget the kids!

Comment

Yeah... that would be a bummer....LOL. Hope ya'll have a great trip... oh, and welcome to the forum.
      "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Since the tents been packed for 10 yrs,
        I would consider giving it a coat of waterproofing,

Comment

I was in the same situation this summer - with a tent that had been packed away for 10 years. Set it up as you did, and it had an unbearable smell that didn't go away after a couple of days set up in my yard. I tried everything I could think of - lysol, other air fresheners....then sprayed directly on the material itself. No luck. The friend I was camping with suggested I throw it in the washer, so I did....before checking the forum and finding that I shouldn't have done that.

Well, all went well. There was a small patch on the wall where the waterproofing seemed to delaminate, but I sprayed everything with silicone and re-sealed the seams. It rained on our trip, but I stayed dry.

P.S. My tent was a 30 year old Eureka Timberline 4.

Comment

Well, the weekend was great. Fishing was horrible but we had a great hike. The girls did great without the cell phones while, roasting weenies, smores, and playing uno. We did get some unexpected rain and the old tent held up great. I'm excited to do it again!

Comment

Hey Fat Jay....good to hear your trip went well. It's a blessing to your girls that you took them out and away from the cell phones!

Comment

Thanks for the update from North-Caro F'Jay, and let me say "welcome back" to Tent Camping! Us SoCal'ers are interested... Stay a while and share your next sojourn with all of us (putting a cold one in there for you)...
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and congrats for getting the girls out and enjoying camping!
                  Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Glad you had a good trip. Welcome to the forums and we hope to hear from you regularly.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everyone! The girls are asking to go out one more time before Christmas. Maybe I'll have a story or two to share before the year is up.

Comment

Working...
                      X