Tent Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Brands

Im looking for a good and reasonably priced backpacking tent that could fit me and my chocolate lab in.Im 5"11 220. I want to know which store brand is best. Magellan,Coleman, No limits,Timber Creek. Eureka VS Kelty?

Re: Tent Brands

What is your budget?

Comment

I amped in my new Kelty Salida 2 last week. Was not too terribly expensive. Is fairly light weight. Is a great tent. Got snowed on while I was out, was also fairly windy. I never got cold and the wind never hit me. It has a full coverage fly, good tie-out points. Not sure though that it would fit me and my dog though. They might make it in a 3 person tent though.

WT
      "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

This is the one we picked up for my son this fall. REI brands are pretty good, and they come with a lifetime no questions asked warranty. We had to buy the foot print extra, but it is well worth it. If the weather was nice enough, you could set it up with just the rain fly and footprint to save weight. It should last our 17 year old until he has a family, hopefully that will be 10 years away though.....

http://www.rei.com/product/794296/re...me-2-plus-tent
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Have you looked at mine?

http://www.breezybrigade.com/tents.html
          Sleep bug free!
          www.BreezyBrigade.com

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
            This is the one we picked up for my son this fall. REI brands are pretty good, and they come with a lifetime no questions asked warranty. We had to buy the foot print extra, but it is well worth it. If the weather was nice enough, you could set it up with just the rain fly and footprint to save weight. It should last our 17 year old until he has a family, hopefully that will be 10 years away though.....

http://www.rei.com/product/794296/re...me-2-plus-tent
            That's a great tent and a great price! I bought that one to camp along my cross country trip to the Grand canyon and back from Atlanta. You'll be very happy with it. The foot print is well worth the extra money. I got it too and it came in pretty handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy Brigade View Post
              Those seem to be pretty basic... Not much protection from the elements or bugs. What is the advantage of these tarps over a tent like the REI?

Comment

My wife runs the show and she said 150 for now

Comment

I would beg for a few dollars more and buy the one my boy got.......or you could do eBay. Also look at other rei tents and go with the reviews. When I go by myself, I just use a hammock. Eno double nest and a tarp.

If you have an rei near you, they will set up the tent and you can hop inside to see if it is big enough. Here is one for under $100, use the rest of the budget on the foot print.
                  http://www.rei.com/product/731378/rei-camp-dome-2-tent
                  Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM. Reason: Added link
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I have the REI Half Dome 2 and I love it. Would love to have the Half Dome 2 Plus! That will be my next tent.

I think the Camp Dome 2 (with curved sides) is going to be much too cramped for Chad and his dog.

My vote goes for finding a few extra dollars; $159 is a great price for that tent.
                    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by silverz51 View Post
                      Those seem to be pretty basic... Not much protection from the elements or bugs. What is the advantage of these tarps over a tent like the REI?
                      For one thing, the Hermitage can pack into a coat pocket.

Knowing from experience that there is no way to keep all of the bugs out of any tent, our products take the approach of keeping the bugs off of you while you sleep. Check out our sleeping bags.
                      Sleep bug free!
                      www.BreezyBrigade.com

Comment

Originally posted by Breezy Brigade View Post
                        For one thing, the Hermitage can pack into a coat pocket.

Knowing from experience that there is no way to keep all of the bugs out of any tent, our products take the approach of keeping the bugs off of you while you sleep. Check out our sleeping bags.
                        Interesting... Thanks for the info

Comment

I have a Kelty Gunnison 3.1, I like it. Plenty of room for my 4xl sized body plus extra gear storage. It stores in a small stuff sack the will easily stow on a back pack. Plus it also has a full rain fly, easy setup.
                          “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
                          ― John Muir

Comment

Thank yall for your advice.

Comment

Chad sent me a message and it seems there are others that have never heard of a tent's footprint, so campateers I open the floor for discussion.......

chad19d86 - 01-08-2013 01:31 PM View Conversation Edit Report IP
                              I dont want to ask a stupid question but here it goes. What exactly is a footprint? We never used those in the Army and I have never heard of it
                              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                              X