Help with picking a tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with picking a tent

Looking for a tent that will cover most of the requirements/criteria listed below:

Requirements:
    2 Adults and 2 Kids
    Car camping tent
    Air Mattress and maybe a couple of cots
    Camping during rain or shine (Hopefully no surprise snow)
    Camping mostly in campsites with facilities
    Camping during weekends or at most a week
    We will be cooking food but have a days supply of dry food for bad weather.

Criteria Ranked from most important to least:

Interior Height (Myself - 6'-1" & Wife - 5'-4")
    Ventilation/Condensation (We are located in NC and we would camp anytime between early spring thru early fall).
    Vestibule
    Rooms

Any help would be greatly appreciated and let me know if I missed anything.

Re: Help with picking a tent

I left budget open because everyone says to save for what is good quality and meet your criteria. I don't have any preference for material as of yet. I have heard of Kodiak but not Springbar. I will research Springbar. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Are canvas tent good for hot weather? Wouldn't a canvas tent trap heat inside?

Comment

The Kodiak have pretty good venation. You can open up the 4 front windows and the new model also have windows on the two sides, for a total of 6 windows of no see um mesh. Well worth the money if plan on doing a lot of camping. Not the tent to start out with, if you are not committed to camping for the long haul. I guess what I am asking is, Are you sure your family wants to camp or are they wanting to try it out?
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
          The Kodiak have pretty good venation. You can open up the 4 front windows and the new model also have windows on the two sides, for a total of 6 windows of no see um mesh. Well worth the money if plan on doing a lot of camping. Not the tent to start out with, if you are not committed to camping for the long haul. I guess what I am asking is, Are you sure your family wants to camp or are they wanting to try it out?
          Exactly my thoughts. The tent I chose was SUCH a good deal including the custom fit ground cover and overhead storage mesh, I just had to pull the trigger on it. If this becomes a family favorite, a few years down the line I'll invest in that 10x14 Kodiak VX.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolBoy View Post
            Are canvas tent good for hot weather? Wouldn't a canvas tent trap heat inside?
            I spent 4 days in Sebastian Florida last week in my Kodiak 10 x 14 with only front and back doors and window and the temp during the day reached 78 degree , i had the doors and windows open and with a good breeze it stayed cool but when i closed it up it was a little warm. Im use to the hot and muggy south Florida weather anyway, I would just get a fan if i had to use one. Anyway you wouldn't want to tent camp in South Florida during the summer because you would end up bug bait..
            Last edited by swebob; 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM.
            Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
              Exactly my thoughts. The tent I chose was SUCH a good deal including the custom fit ground cover and overhead storage mesh, I just had to pull the trigger on it. If this becomes a family favorite, a few years down the line I'll invest in that 10x14 Kodiak VX.
              That is a smart way to go about it. Dont drop a ton of cash until you are sure
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                That is a smart way to go about it. Dont drop a ton of cash until you are sure
                I'm able to save some dough on the tent, but looking at my to-buy list I am still going to be spendy this next couple months. Sleeping pads, Weber portable grill, flashlights, lantern, cooler. Yah, if they don't like camping Daddy's going to be camping solo. Which .... maybe isn't so bad. :P

Comment

One thing not mentioned and someone correct me if I,m wrong, but I think REI will rent equipment out. You could in a way try it before you buy it. My problem is there is not an REI within 500 miles of me.
                  "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
                    One thing not mentioned and someone correct me if I,m wrong, but I think REI will rent equipment out. You could in a way try it before you buy it. My problem is there is not an REI within 500 miles of me.
                    Yes, you're right - REI rents equipment. But they don't have canvas tents.
                    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
                      Yes, you're right - REI rents equipment. But they don't have canvas tents.
                      They also don't rent family sized tents. Probably for obvious reasons. At least my REI doesn't.

Comment

So far great information. I am going to stop by and ask the local REI about family tents. Does anyone have picture of there interior tent setup? Curious about layout of items. Also, I am trying to decide if 2 queen air mattresses fit in a 10 X 14 tent? or is it to crowded? If to crowded has anyone used a bunk cot system?

Comment

Working...
                        X