End Result - No Tent Yet !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Result - No Tent Yet !!!

Figured my original thread was getting messy so I'm starting a new one.

Background: Family of 4: Me, Wife, 7 year old daugher, 5 year old daughter. I'm only 5'9", though I'm wide (think football player). Wife is a petite 5'4". Kids are waifs.

I have returned the 2012 BA Big House 6. First of all, I went to emphasize how absolutely AWESOME Backcountry.com was with regards to the return. My purchase was still with UPS - they re-routed the package back to them and processed the credit to my account at the same time. I found that to be remarkable - I will certainly buy something else from them again. Fantastic customer service - I can't say that enough.

I also REALLY liked the fact that somebody from Big Agnes got back to me in less than a day, and provided a phone number to call and discuss. Again, really really great customer service. Very impressive.

All that, and now I still have no tent !!!

Where I'm at now:

A. 2013 Big Agnes Big House 6: Probably won't get it on sale as it is a new model, but it addresses the one big fault with the fly that made me return the 2012 model in the first place. Not as pricey as the other candidates I'm considering, but seems made well and up to BA standards. Lifetime guarantee is nice.

B. REI Kingdom 6 - Roughly 10 x 8.5, can get it discounted in a few months when REI does the whole member coupon thing. Outdoorgearlab.com did a great review on family camping tents and the Kingdom 8 came out on top. Not sure I need the extra size (the 8 is 2.5' longer but not any wider), and am concerned about the Kingdom 8 tent fitting on some campsites (NJ and PA State Parks). Don't know if my concern is warranted as far as campsite space. Lifetime guarantee is nice.

C. Kodiak Flex Bow 10x10 VX - Bullet proof, strong, all the stuff you guys have been telling me about Canvas. My only concerns are taking care of it post-campout; how do you dry something that is not free standing? I'd ideally leave the truck out of the garage and let the tent air out and dry inside, but if it needs to be staked in order to pitch, how do you dry these things? I'd imagine you can't just leave it collapsed somewhere in the house, which I suppose means we have to pitch it again when we get home. If its raining when we get home, does the tent get pitched in the rain and stay out there until it turns sunny and dry?

***Obviously I'm afraid of ruining the Canvas; probably due to never having had a Canvas tent before***

D. Big Agnes Flying Diamond 6 - Outdoorgearlab.com rated the 8 man version of this as bombproof. Reviewers say the 6 man version is family friendly. Pretty sure I don't need the 8 man as my two daughters can stow away in the kick-out in the back. The priciest of all. MIGHT give the Kodiak a run for the money for longevity?

Re: End Result - No Tent Yet !!!

I went with option 'C'. Canvas tent brethren rejoice !!!!

Seriously though, its the tent I kept circling around to. Figured might as well get it over with.

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post

Seriously though, its the tent I kept circling around to. Figured might as well get it over with.
      I'm glad you've made a new choice. My next tent will be canvas.
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
        I'm glad you've made a new choice. My next tent will be canvas.
        I wouldn't have picked up on the mesh being exposed if it weren't for you. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
          how do you dry something that is not free standing? I'd ideally leave the truck out of the garage and let the tent air out and dry inside, but if it needs to be staked in order to pitch, how do you dry these things? I'd imagine you can't just leave it collapsed somewhere in the house, which I suppose means we have to pitch it again when we get home. If its raining when we get home, does the tent get pitched in the rain and stay out there until it turns sunny and dry?

***Obviously I'm afraid of ruining the Canvas; probably due to never having had a Canvas tent before***

My tent got rained on but was just a little damp on the outside by the time i got packed up the the morning to leave. I live in a one bedroom condo and all i did to dry mine out was lay it out in the living room over night with the ceiling fan on and it was bone dry the next morning. I had the same thought as many that it would be soaked all the way though to the inside but it does repeal water very good..
          Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

HS says it best: "Canvas tents will last forever, if you take care of 'em!" Modern canvas is the way to go if one can afford 'em! I love my Kodiak!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
              But my house is one giant storage area chock full of outdoor/fishing/hunting gear so a tent laying out in the hall doesn't seem out of place.
              If I modify that to read "outdoor/hiking/biking gear" then my house sounds just like yours! There's not much "living" area, it's just storage.
              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I'm very excited and can't wait to see what comes. My 7 year old wants to camp ASAP but is sad that we have to wait till it gets warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                  Jopopsy, have you ever winter camped? You might like it.
                  Did lots of Jamborees and Klondikes as a kid. Be a tough sell for my wife though; she's anti-cold. Plus I'd have to add another type of gear I'd need to buy. No funds for that right now.

Comment

Working...
                  X