Portable Power Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Portable Power Source

AGM batteries don't need or require battery boxes, and typically have the handle build right in. A soft padded rectangular bag is a good choice as it is doesn't scratch anything and will likely have a pocket in it for spare fuses. Also, connecting the fused battery directly to the cigarette lighter by any lighter-fitting plug is the same as connecting it to the alternator, it will charge but at a slower rate than HogSnapper's setup since the wire diameter is smaller and allowes less voltage flow. BTW, in 6 years of use my lighter plug has never blown fuses, while charging the AGM with the engine running.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

The Duracell PowerPack seems like a great power source to charge cell phones, tablet computers, or maybe even an air pump for an air mattress. Plus, definitely handy just to keep in your vehicle in case you get stuck in the back woods somewhere. I may definitely have to pick me up one of these for my next camping trip! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
        The Duracell PowerPack seems like a great power source to charge cell phones, tablet computers, or maybe even an air pump for an air mattress. Plus, definitely handy just to keep in your vehicle in case you get stuck in the back woods somewhere. I may definitely have to pick me up one of these for my next camping trip! Thanks!
        Been there, done that...It's a small AGM battery with low (28 AH) amperage inside a plastic housing. It's engineered for starting vehicles from a full charge, and not built for discharging as a power supply. That would be a "Deep Cycle" battery, which the PowerPack is not. Batteries are typically starting, deep discharge, or a compromise of dual-purpose. Because of its design, the Duracell won't deliver years of use like a deep cycle battery since it's not intended to do that. As a starting booster, it's about the best one out there. For the cost of the PowerPack and an extra 12 pounds of weight, you could DIY and have a 55AH Optima or similar brand Group24 AGM that is designed to bee deeply (down to 40%) discharged and recharged over and over. Mine is now 5 years old and still has full voltage after removing the "surface charge" for proper measurement of battery life.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          I'm not a scientist or anything and tplife seems to be tech savy so what he is saying is more than likely the truth however, my duracell is about 5 years old, gets plenty of usage while camping and around the house, and is still performing flawlessly since the day I bought it.

Comment

Working...
          X