Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Flashlight -How many Lumens?

Hey Gang,

Just wondering how many Lumens you guys generally find appropriate for camping? I was thinking a dual mode Coast flashlight that was a smidge north of 200 lumens on torch mode and around 60 for low mode. Figured the torch mode would be good for walking around the woods late at night, and making sure things are in the clear when I take my family back and forth to the rest rooms.

???

Re: Camping Flashlight -How many Lumens?

Yes !! I hear you about the AA batteries; I don't even really want to look at the flashlights that take 3 or 4 AAA's. What a pain - I have so many AA Eneloops around the house I'd prefer to use them.

Comment

I just counted them up and I take 6, but two are multi use and all types have different specialities. All rechargeable but one.
      • 2 Eton Road Torqs with a 1 watt LED spotlight - charges from car adapter or hand crank and can be used as a regular lamp. It is really nice that it has a swivel head. Very bright and I can aim both at the white ceiling of the trailer so I don't need any other light inside. Nicad battery. While it has a red LED, it is flashing, so I wouldn't use for regular use.
      • Eton Rover with a 3 LED flashlight. Really why I carry is the ability to dump charge any USB product and has AM/FM/WX. Charges via USB or hand crank - lithium ion battery. (Both Eton products are closeout at RadioShack right now, so if you can find them in-store, they are half off.)
      • Coleman Fan/Light combo from Wally's used with the CRX rechargeable battery. Bought mostly for the fan, but it has a nice low light setting on the light part that can be used as a night light.
      • Rayz 15 LED 45 lumen swing light from True Value. Handiest thing & was an impulse buy at the checkout counter. Has a magnetic base. I carry it in my pocket. Specs say 30 hour run time on 3 AAA, but I haven't changed batteries in two years. I also use it on my push scooter as a headlight.
      • Life Gear Glow Auto CL with 4 modes flashlight from Kroger -charges in 12v socket. The light isn't particularly great, but it has flashlight, a red led mode that can be with the flashlight, or constant red, or flashing red. I use it in the constant red mode as a glow stick when I walk so I don't disturb others, and on my push scooter as a taillight.
      Last edited by actad; 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

When car camping I take all types of flashlights. From a large Mag-light with 3-D batteries in it down to a small clip on that takes a dime size battery (about 10 different lights all together). But if hiking I take a headlamp, a small handheld 1-AA battery flashlight, plus the clip-on light. What I do stay away from is lights that take 123 batteries I’m talking like the CR123A lithium batteries. You can’t just stop at any store or gas station to get more when you run out and they cost too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickadeamus View Post
          When car camping I take all types of flashlights. From a large Mag-light with 3-D batteries in it down to a small clip on that takes a dime size battery (about 10 different lights all together). But if hiking I take a headlamp, a small handheld 1-AA battery flashlight, plus the clip-on light. What I do stay away from is lights that take 123 batteries I’m talking like the CR123A lithium batteries. You can’t just stop at any store or gas station to get more when you run out and they cost too much.
          I agree. When looking at the flashlight manufacturer websites (Coast and Fenix) I started whittling down with this as a specific criteria. I prefer AA batteries, but will look at a AAA flashlight if its right.

Comment

Battery issues are why I went with hand cranked lighting options. I wasn't interested in solar - maybe because I bought during winter solstice - and it doesn't take much to crank with the aluminum handled turbodyne series to get recharged.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

"Die-Marker" CR123 batteries cost about $3.50 each here out west, and unlike alkaline batteries, you aren't replacing them every other weekend when camping. I tried out COAST LED flashlights on a trial basis and ran back to get another while they were on sale at Fry's Electronics. I carry a spare set of batteries but have never had to replace them while in-camp due to their incredible power capacity - they cost more but are a better value afa $/power given due to being lithium batteries. That said, I couldn't resist a set of TechLite LumenMaster LED flashlights at Costco, for around $5/@ they are robust and more mil-spec in appearance than the COAST models I use. Drawbacks are larger size and need to frequently replace the 3 AAA alkaline battery pack, and one of those battery sleeve springs went defective and had to be replaced after a year or so of heavy use. Still toting that one old EveryReady big 6V camo, too heavy for pocket use but a lot of fun spotlighting 'coons and opossom with it's tremendous distance. MagLite old-school non-LED is the worst of the bunch, incandescent bulb is not as shockproof and they use more power per lumens...But who doesn't like making a tiny table lamp out of them in the outhouse by unscrewing the cap?!? :cool:
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

The Road Torq is extremely bright, to the point that you have kind of a "whoa" reaction. It is definitely a spotlight. My son is a linesman for the power company and it can illuminate up to the top of the pole when it is on the ground and aimed up at an angle. 30 seconds would get you 10-15 minutes. It is a little harder to crank than the Rover for me, but he has no trouble cranking it fast and bringing it back up to a full charge - you can tell because it suddenly becomes really easy to crank when fully charged.

The Rover flashlight is not as bright, but is a lot easier to crank - maybe because of the lithium battery and the design. I can crank it a lot faster. 30 seconds = 20 minutes of light. I can bring the Rover back to full power in 30 minutes at slow cranking.

For both, I just keep cranking every so often to bring it back up to full power, and they can both be charged from other sources - I charge the Rover from my laptop USB port, or from my smartphone USB connection for home or car. The Road Torg comes with a cigarette lighter charger.
                - Laura

Comment

Only reason I'm leaning heavily towards AA or AAA batteries is I have a mountain of Eneloop rechargeables sitting around. I am only limited by the amount of spares I bring w/ me camping.

Comment

I’m not saying CR123 batteries are bad. They are good batteries if you want long shelf life and don’t use your equipment with them in it, that much. But for something I use almost every day it is a bad choice and I can say that friends of mine who are in the Military and one who is a Police Officer will tell you the same thing.

Great for things you don’t use much but bad for things you use every day. Also bad for things if you are out somewhere and your 123 batteries die and you forgot the extra one at home.

Plus you should only carry one batteries type for everything you hike with. This way you don’t have to keep a bunch of extra batteries for each type. Just bring a few of one type and if a battery go’s dead in something you will have that back up with less weight of carrying all those extras for the different types might need.

Comment

I briefly had the Road Torq, but didn't much care for it. Like you mentioned it was a bit more difficult to crank than the Rover, but I couldn't get more than 10 minutes out of the Torq from cranking until my hand hurt. For now I will stick with battery powered lights. I do also have the Eton Microlink FR170 on clearance at Radio Shack, but have not had it long and have yet to test the light. I wanted it more for the weather radio.

Comment

Flashlights are like boats. Once you start you keep thinking about the next bigger one

AND there IS such a thing as flashlight envy, just so you know

Keep in mind that 100 years ago Americans were camping without flashlights and considered candle and kerosene lamps a luxury

Comment

100 years ago most now common items were a luxury.

Comment

Originally posted by banukab View Post
                            100 years ago most now common items were a luxury.
                            You would be surprised at the technology and conveniences they had 100 years ago.
                            1. Coleman gas lanterns and stoves were nearly identical to today's lanters and stoves and they were available over 100 years ago.
                            2. Campers were travelling to National Forests and Parks by personal automobile 100 years ago.
                            3. Campers had self-standing tents 100 years ago
                            4. Campers had pull-behind camping trailers 100 years ago
                            5. Alcohol stoves that have become fashionable today were available in many designs 100 years ago - better than today's models!
                            6. Canoes and kayaks of 100 years ago were made of canvas and wood strips and were lighter weight than today's plastic, fiber-glasss or aluminum canoes and kayaks.
                            There are many other interesting examples of "modern" camping 100 years ago that remain relatively unchanged today.
                            Last edited by Mike; 02-07-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X