help on choosing tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on choosing tent

Hello everyone, as long as i am new to this forum i firstly want to say a big hello to everyone and congratulate you too for the participation in here that provides so many helpful threads for something we love..Camping!

I am new to the winter camping, never done before in cold periods so i needed your help on choosing a tent that will fit on what i need.

i had 2 different tents in my mind. the first is:

Coleman Phad x3

Flysheet: 100% polyester ripstop polyester 210 T, WS 4.000 mm PU coated, taped seams, UV Pro
    Inner tent: 100% polyester, breathable polyester 185 T and opaque mosquito net
    Floor: 100% nylon, nylon 190 T, WS 5.000 mm PU coated, taped seams
    Linkage: ø 8.5 mm aluminum 7001-T6
    2 inputs
    3 ventilation flaps
    5 inner pockets
    Construction: all in one
    With repair
    Pack size: ø 18 x 44 cm
    Color: green / anthracite
    Weight: 3.95 kg

and the other tent is:

Salewa MIDWAY IV

Number of people:4
    Fly:75D 210T 100% polyester ripstop / 70D 185T PU coated 100% polyester taffeta, water column: 4000 mm
    Canopy:70D 185T 100% polyester taffetaBottom:70D 210T 100% polyester taffeta, PU coated Hydrostatic head: 5000 mm
    Linkage:9,5 / 11 mm Salewa Compound Poles
    Tent dimensions (in):220 x 210 x 180 cm (L x W x H)Tent dimensions (exterior):390 x 220 x 190 cm (L x W x H)
    Pack size:56 x 21 cm
    Weight:7300 g (min) / 7600 g (max)
    Extras: Dust cover, mosquito net inserts in the outer tent, repair kit; Apsidenbogen, Mudflaps

before comparing those 2 tents i wanted to suggest me if the MidwayIV it's good for winter. i am asking that because according to the materials used it seems to be equal with many other 4 season tents but according to various descriptions on internet(including the official site) it seems to be more summer tent.
    I was thinking that maybe the fact that its 190 cm height and has big dimensions(so big surfaces)makes that tent more exposed to temperature and stability? is that correct?

also, do anyone know what material Salewa uses on its poles? it says ''Salewa Compound Poles'' ..is it aluminium or fiberglass?

this is my requirements:
    i need a tent to be used in Greece from September to spring. camping will be stationary not far away from the car (so its not a problem if its not a lightweight) next to the sea and in low height mountains. lets say temperatures could be from zero °c degrees to 20 °c degrees. this is my winter sleeping bag
    ''quechua S0° ultralight Sleeping Bag
    sleeping at temperatures close to 0°C Comfort T° 1°C, limit -5°C (NE 13537). Anti-cold flaps on neck and zip''
    (could this combination of sleeping bag with the salewa tent be a good winter solution?). Also, i am not going to use the tent at snow

my comparison:
    I like a lot the fact that salewa midway its spacious with a large front room that someone can stay comfortable in there with a chair and a book ,i also noticed that comparing the front room of Salewa and Coleman, at the bottom of that front room salewa has no gaps and maybe its more comfortable because there will be less dust and cold air flow coming in when someone is down there.
    From the other had, having a big tent it will put some space limits on where someone will be able to set a tent.
    Coleman seems by its geometry (lower height) to be more stable in case of a strong wind!

i am a newby with no experience on winter camping and i need your help to make a little more clear the things on my mind and finally make a choice on e tent.

Best regards to all and thanks a lot!
Working...
X