Oh boy, looks like our trip is going to be a little longer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh boy, looks like our trip is going to be a little longer

When I started planning this camping trip for the boys and I this summer, the original plan was to head West to California and then turn around. I kept finding more and more places I wanted to stop though, so by the time I got to Arizona, I decided to cut California out of this trip, head up toward Utah and Colorado and then loop back to North Florida. It was going to be 38 days. Me, four boys and a tent.

Well, my mom reminded me of our family reunion in West Virginia the second weekend in July. So now, we are going to head straight across and North from Arkansas on our way back home and hit a few stops before going to the reunion and then a few stops on the way back to Florida. When all is said and done, it looks like nearly 50 days of camping. I am both excited and terrified at the same time. :D

Re: Oh boy, looks like our trip is going to be a little longer

Very cool trip. Realistically, you will all want to spend some nights in a hotel. I have done the six week camp gig and it is fun, but eventually it rains, and you get grimy and you start to think about sleeping in bed in a room with temperature control.

If you were hiking across the Continental Divide for five or six weeks, it is do-able, but you will be camping, then packing up into a car and repeat and repeat. That car is going to get pretty grimy and pretty small and pretty stale.

So, plan in your budget several nights in hotels. I guess you might be ready for some hotel camping once a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Very cool trip. Realistically, you will all want to spend some nights in a hotel. I have done the six week camp gig and it is fun, but eventually it rains, and you get grimy and you start to think about sleeping in bed in a room with temperature control.

If you were hiking across the Continental Divide for five or six weeks, it is do-able, but you will be camping, then packing up into a car and repeat and repeat. That car is going to get pretty grimy and pretty small and pretty stale.

So, plan in your budget several nights in hotels. I guess you might be ready for some hotel camping once a week or so.
      Thanks, I have definitely been considering working that in.

Comment

Check which campsites have showers and plan your route so that you can stop at truck stops that offer showers.

There are also hotels that will rent rooms for several hours so that you can shower and relax, but not stay the night.

I have friends that do this, but I have not. Ask around and you will find all kinds of opportunities to fresh up.

Comment

Have fun. This sounds so cool to me. Can I come along too???

Comment

Working...
          X