Which Kodiak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Kodiak?

Well, we've decided to get a new tent this year, and are going to go with the Kodiak flexbow 10x14. My question, is which one? In doing my research, I've discovered there are three models of this one. We've narrowed it down to the deluxe version, and, the newest one with windows on the ends. I'm kind of worried about the about the newest model, having more potential for leaks/broken zippers. Any thoughts or experiences between these two would be appreciated.

Also, while I'm at it, we have no local vendor for Kodiak. Where would be a recommended place to order online from? I plan to order the tent, and awning vestibule kit at the same time.

Thanks,
    David

Re: Which Kodiak?

The Kodiak Flexbow 10 x 14 deluxe with side windows is only available at this time from Competitive Edge Products in Utah. If you want this version and call Kodiak they tell you to call Competitive Edge. You can call or order online from them. No tax or shipping for $599. The side window version is new and probably hasn't been field tested by many yet. I have it and it is a beauty. We will be camping in it for 4 weeks next month but so far have only set it up in the back, hosed it down and then let it sit there overnight in our typical late winter winds of 15-20 mph. It was still there in the morning. We also ordered the 10 x 14 tarp and vestibule from Competitive Edge. Personally, I think the side windows are a wonderful addition and will be welcome in hot weather. It really opens the tent up to great cross breezes and light. I don't expect problems from such a well made product.

Comment

I have the 10x14 deluxe and I would go with the newer model. Not only will more windows help. but what if the sunrise is on the side of tent? My wife loves watching the sunrise over the lake. Only time she ever gets up before sunrise is when we camp and she wants to take pictures. As far as the new windows leaking more, I wouldn't worry about it, the current on rs don't leak. You should also take a look at spring bar tents as well. They a lot more options than Kodiak and the same quality.

BTW, if you do call Kodiak or competitive edge, tell them you got your questions answered here.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

The side windows are what sold me on the Kodiak. I really wanted one, but was worried those little side vents up top wouldn't let enough air in during the summer. I saw those new models and that was that; I havent' set mine up yet b/c it hasn't broken 30 degrees since it arrived. I did lay everything out though and made sure there was nothing missing.

Comment

We are finally ready to make our purchase, and, decided on the newer model with side windows. As our luck goes, Competitive Edge is out of stock, and estimates they won't be shipping again until April 20. Our first planned outing, will be in the first of April, if not earlier. So, we are looking back at the deluxe model with just the vents on the side. We rarely camp when it get's above the mid 90's, and wonder, do those vents allow enough air flow to keep the interior at ambient temperature levels?

Thanks,
          David

Comment

I have owned a few(less than 3) models of Kodiak Tents through the years. I would advise to NOT purchase one with the side vents if you are only planning on using it through the more popular months. The current models which we use the most often are the 10x14 Cabin Wall Tent and it has five windows and the air flow is wonderful. For winter use and in extreme snow conditions we have a very early model 9x8 flex bow with just 2 side vents. It's perfect for winter camping but for the more popular months I would hestitate to purchase a Kodiak that only has side vents. Just my $0.02. Cabelas & Sportman's Warehouse still seem to have the item you'll looking for but the price may be a few dollars more. Good luck!

However, it's breatheable canvas, but we have never used our winter Kodiak in warmer months. Other campers who have will certainly chime in! We also camp in the west at higher elevations so using it in a humid environment I am no help.
            Last edited by renodesertfox; 02-21-2013, 09:16 PM.
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by astrowolf67 View Post
              We are finally ready to make our purchase, and, decided on the newer model with side windows. As our luck goes, Competitive Edge is out of stock, and estimates they won't be shipping again until April 20. Our first planned outing, will be in the first of April, if not earlier. So, we are looking back at the deluxe model with just the vents on the side. We rarely camp when it get's above the mid 90's, and wonder, do those vents allow enough air flow to keep the interior at ambient temperature levels?

Thanks,
              David
              I have the 10 x 14 deluxe model but not the VX with all the windows. I have never camped at night with the weather above 70 degrees and with the windows closed and the little vents in the roof open it stays cool at night.

BUT during those day light hours when the temps reached 75 to 80 dgrees it gets hot with all the window closed but with the ALL the windows open it was nice. What i do is try to pitch the tent with the windows in the direction the wind will be blowing according to the weather forcast for my stay so i can get a good breeze blowing threw it.

The canvas does breathe and you can always leave the windows half way open at night..
              Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

Buy what you want the first time. These tents aren't cheap; don't end up with a case of buyer's remorse just to hit a date. My 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by astrowolf67 View Post

Thanks,
                  David
                  There is a lot of excitement about Kodiak tents these days as if canvas tents were just invented. I have several canvas tents (though none are a Kodiak). Growing up, we used canvas tents because that is all there was. The sortcomings of single wall canvas tents were well-known - hot in the summer, wet in the rain, and a sieve for leaks if you touch the sides. I suppose Kodiaks might have improved the waterproofing somewhat, but the rest remains a lot the same. Canvas tents are superior in cold and cool climate - especially in dry weather or snow.

However, if you plan to camp in hot weather (for me, that is anything above 80 degrees F), then you should consider two tents; the Kodiak for cool weather and a very breathable nylon tent with mostly screen mesh walls covered by a waterproof rainfly. This tent combination will have you camping the whole year through in comfort

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
                    Buy what you want the first time. These tents aren't cheap; don't end up with a case of buyer's remorse just to hit a date. My 2 cents.
                    Excellent advice, and a good reminder of past lessons learned. I just placed the order for the tent with windows, and a vestibule. Who knows, maybe it will be shipped earlier than expected.

Comment

I have had the experience of camping in the heat of the summer. It was 105 one day. No tent is cool at 105 degrees. Luckily, I was at a state campground with electric. I went to down to Wally World and bought a small electric table top fan. I also made the mistake of selecting the wrong campsite. The campsite I was in, had a tent pad which dictated the setup of the tent with the windows facing north and south. The evening wind was out of the west. We were working so I was gone from 5:30am to 5:30pm. When I got back to the site, I would open up all 4 windows and turn on the fan. When the wind came, the tent would cool down and I would sleep fine. The next week I selected a different site with the windows facing to the west and that was a big help. So I don't think the tornado vents helped out a whole lot.
                      This will be the 3rd season with my kodiak. If I had the option of having the side window's, I would jump on it. Like said earlier, buy it right the first time. You won't go wrong with the previous model, cause you wont know what you are missing, but hindsight is 20/20.
                      Do you have another tent that you could use for your early outings? Maybe that would help your predicament, if you were to wait for the VX model.
                      Nights camped in 2019: 24
                      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

We do have other tents that we could use, but, would have to toss a blanket, or tarp between the tent and fly if weather is cool/cold. We've camped in temps down to mid 20's like this, with a small electric heater once. Don't know how we did it, but we managed to keep the tent in the upper 50's.

Comment

This thread has been exceptionally helpful. Thank you everyone who's posted with your knowledge and experiences! When my 4-season REI Mountaineer tent (which I use late fall through winter) dies on me, it'll be replaced with a canvas tent.
                          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Thanks doe the update on Kodiak's improved waterproofing, Hogsnapper. It is interesting that they still recommend wetting the new tent to shrink the canvas and make it more waterproof. I remember wetting down the tent, then using ALUM to help shrink and waterproof the canvas. I wonder how many people on these forums have ever done that.

Comment

Well, we ordered our tent and vestibule two months ago, and, Thursday, I came home from work to find a large heavy box had been delivered. We finally got time today to open the box and set the tent up. I am going to love this tent! I think we made the right choice by getting the model with the windows in the ends, as it was a little warm inside, that is till we opened the side windows a bit. Set up and take down was very easy, even for the first time. The only issue I have, is, they didn't ship the vestibule. I've sent an email to them, but, probably won't hear back till Monday. If there's no reply by Monday night, I'll call their 800 number.

One question about the tent. Does anyone use a tarp, or something similar as a rain fly? That's the only thing I'll miss, being able to leave the windows open a bit for ventilation during rain showers.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X