Need help picking a backpacking tent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help picking a backpacking tent.

Hello, I'm completely new to all this camping stuff. I was really wanting to camp in and around Shenandoah mountains this summer. I need specific suggestions on hiking/back packing tents. Im 6ft tall and I would like for the tent to be a 2 or 3 person. I also need help with other supplies you think are crucial to this type of camping. All sugestions are welcome as for me being so new.
    Thanks so much!!!:D

Re: Need help picking a backpacking tent.

You might want to check out appalachiantrail.com They have much info on hiking gear as well as info about the AT. Also a quick search on Amazon.com and campmor.com will give you many choices of reading material on the subject of gear choices and necessities.

Comment

I've accumulated 150 miles on the AT over the years (former E-coaster backpacker here). I recommend a good start with Colin Fletcher's The Complete Walker, and making a friend at your local EMS (or REI depending on your region). Companies like REI, EMS, Sierra Designs, Mountain HardWear, etc. offer outstanding frame packs, 2-man and 3-man ultralight tents, sleeping pads and down bags that won't strain your back or your wallet, it you hook up with Ebay. State-of-the-art gear offers a lot of advantages over yesterday's technology on the trail, but you want to research what is really an improvement and what do you need on your travels. Hammocks are a good example - great in balmy summer weather, but a clear safety hazard in higher elevations when the temps can drop below 50 and it can mist and drizzle for days - been there, done that on the AT!
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I agree with Hogsnapper and TPlife's recommendation for reading Collin Flecher is nostalgic and excellent.

I agree with Hogsnapper's suggestion to get yourself in good shape and wear-in your boots before you go.

Not so sure I agree with Hogsnapper about the Hammocks, but I am a traditionalist in that regard, and don't stand too strongly in favor or tents over hammocks.

One thing I really agree with Hogsnapper about is staying out of and away from the shelters. My experience has also been that they are occupied by stoners and vermin like mice, skunks, and are even a magnet for bear. I spent one night in an AP shelter and experienced all those things in one single night and vowed to stay away from them from then on. The AP shelters are filthy and attract the worst elements of man and beast.

My experience on the AP trail is that it is a fairly wet experience - lots of rain compared with ,say, the Rockies or other mountain ranges. So prepare for being wet - sometimes for days at a time.

Considerations for extended damp/wet backpacking:
        • Bring a heavy duty rain poncho for you and your pack
        • consider synthetic fill bags rather than down
        • Bring quick-dry socks and underwear
        • plan for blisters and feet ailments due to wetness and dampness
        • Bring a reliable stove and do not depend on campfires.
        • consider bringing a rainfly to sit under in case you are stuck in the rain.
        • Use a walking stick to help keep your footing on muddy trails and crossing stream and rivers.

The Appalachian Trail is beautiful with a lot of variations in terrain, wildlife, and experiences.

The AP is pretty heavily trafficked and has more than its share of weirdo people - much more than I found anywhere else. Some will be fun and interesting and some you should do your best to avoid.

Comment

I do some hiking on the AT every year. Much of it in Pa. and surrounding states. While it is true that you will find the occasional weirdo on the trail mostly you will meet a bunch of people all with the same general purpose that you have. They are out there because they need an escape to a wilderness setting and the AT can provide that for a great many people. The Appalachian Trail Conference estimates that 2 to 3 million people visit the trail yearly, most of them are dayhikers or weekenders so you will meet people on the AT but while being cautious around strangers is a smart rule of thumb do not make the mistake of being so paranoid as to worry about everyone you meet or to think they are bad people. Those people you do meet and talk to are many times, interesting and entertaining. The shelters are a good hike from most major road crossings and if you value your privacy they should be avoided. While they are attractive to mice and other wild animals in my experience mice are the biggest problem at the shelters. Most other animals seem to be cautious around the shelters and they usually run away If you let them know you are there. They don't really want to be around people any more than people want to be around them in my experience, although I have heard that the bear, especially in Virginia, are becoming bolder and you should bag and hang your food and other things that might attract them to you, no matter if you stay at the shelters or camp away from them. Do read as much as you can about the gear available and travel light but do not trade safety for gear weight. There are many videos on you tube that have been posted by hikers on the AT. I think you should take alook at them. Many of them are very informative about terrain, gear choices, and things to expect while hiking the trail. As I said in my earlier post I would check out Appalaciantrail.com. Also check out the Appalachian Trail Conservatory Website. Hope my insight is helpful to you and I hope you enjoy yourself in your new found activity. Happy Hiking to you.
          Last edited by Hikenhunter; 03-03-2013, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X