New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here

Hi, new here. We own a travel trailer and just put it in storage at a campground at the beach. Being that we are basically living at the foothills of the NC mountains, we want to continue getting out and camping. We originally thought about getting a pop up camper, but have decided to do the tent thing again. We've tent camped before, about 13 years ago...lol we got rid of that tent and my wife bought one a few years ago that's never been used. To be honest, it was opened up once in the garage and I can't remember what kind it is or if its still in good condition. The tent I'm not too concerned with. Our topic has gone to determine what to sleep on. We used to use air mattresses, but we hate that when you move, the other moves with you. Then when one gets out of bed, the other goes to the floor.

So we are left with the dilemma of what to sleep on..cots, pads, etc? We will be camping from the car so we are in no need of something light and small for carrying. Anyone use a mattress topper like a memory foam pad? I've seen some therm arrest with a little pad in it, but for the price, we could get something big enough for the two of us ourselves.

Just wondering what others use out there.

Re: New here

Originally posted by woodsters View Post
    Our topic has gone to determine what to sleep on. We used to use air mattresses, but we hate that when you move, the other moves with you. Then when one gets out of bed, the other goes to the floor.
    Are you saying two of you sleep on one mattress? When i go camping with my girl friend each have our own air bed to avoid the problems that comes with sharing one.
    Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

I use a closed cell foam sleeping pad. Have been thinking about adding the eggshell foam for extra cushion. Don't think it would be a lot of extra weight.
      "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

swebob - yeah we used to use a queen size mattress. Of course we don't have it anymore.

We aren't worried about weight or anything as we will will be camping from the car. Just not looking to spend $100 + per person on a small pad. We will also have our 11 yr old with us.

Comment

Woodsters, you were already paying more for the air mattresses (that don't last but X seasons and leak) than lifteime-guaranteed self-inflating sleeping pads- some of my ThermaRest pads are circa 1987. You'll spend less over time on good-quality sleeping pads than your will on air mattresses or cots that wear out. You can get them new or like-new (transferable warranties) off Ebay for much less. You can also buy knockoff-brands like Exped, MegaMat, REI, EMS, or even (Ughh!) Coleman. The pads today aren't thin, aren't small, are comfortable and adjustable. Cots and air mattresses more importantly, both are safety hazards in temperatures lower than 50, where most hypothermia occurs. Why is that? Thermodynamic law. The hollow air pockets (or empty space under your cot) of your air mattress is a heat sink that sucks the warmth out of you while you sleep to become the same temperature as the cold air around it. Sleeping bags, rabbit's feet and lucky charms won't counteract this phenomenom. Closed-and open cell sleeping pads don't do that, and the remedy otherwise is an electric blanket, or small heater to heat the air around the sleeping pad to a warm level. In my humble opinion, selling air mattresses near camping equipment should at least be a High Misdemeanor!
          Last edited by tplife; 03-02-2013, 09:47 AM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Lol. We will have to look at them again. The last time we did, they appeared to not be much more than a yoga mat. And I have not so fond memories of the pads from when I was in the military 20+ years ago.

Comment

Closed cell self inflating mats are what we have. Dont skimp one these, as a bad nights sleep could ruin it for you guys.

Alps Mountaineering XL self inflating air pad. 4 out of 5 stars based on 214 reviews.
              http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine.../dp/B001LF3FR8
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

That price is more like it. Are these type of pads comfortable?

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                  Woodsters, you were already paying more for the air mattresses (that don't last but X seasons and leak) than lifteime-guaranteed self-inflating sleeping pads- some of my ThermaRest pads are circa 1987. You'll spend less over time on good-quality sleeping pads than your will on air mattresses or cots that wear out. You can get them new or like-new (transferable warranties) off Ebay for much less. You can also buy knockoff-brands like Exped, MegaMat, REI, EMS, or even (Ughh!) Coleman. The pads today aren't thin, aren't small, are comfortable and adjustable. Cots and air mattresses more importantly, both are safety hazards in temperatures lower than 50, where most hypothermia occurs. Why is that? Thermodynamic law. The hollow air pockets (or empty space under your cot) of your air mattress is a heat sink that sucks the warmth out of you while you sleep to become the same temperature as the cold air around it. Sleeping bags, rabbit's feet and lucky charms won't counteract this phenomenom. Closed-and open cell sleeping pads don't do that, and the remedy otherwise is an electric blanket, or small heater to heat the air around the sleeping pad to a warm level. In my humble opinion, selling air mattresses near camping equipment should at least be a High Misdemeanor!

Hey Ive had my 2 Aerobeds since 1995 and never has one leaked or been damaged. I put those thin emergency space blankets mine and that insulates the bottoms great keeping me very warm.. As long as im car camping the Aerobeds are coming with me, if i was backpacking then i would be thinking your way.. Great info tplife
                  Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

I don't think we would be much camping where the temps drop down cold enough for the air mattresses and cots to make a huge difference. If we were, we would have so many blankets and heater. Lol

Comment

I've had great luck with Coleman air matresses. Have 2 that are 6 years old 1 twin and 1 queen. If/when I replace the queen I will go with a single for each person to end the being disturbed by others movement. No problems getting cold or losing sleep in temps down to around 40. I've tried the sleeping pad route and it just doesn't do it for me if I'm camping more than 1 night. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by frank6160 View Post
                        I've had great luck with Coleman air matresses. Have 2 that are 6 years old 1 twin and 1 queen. If/when I replace the queen I will go with a single for each person to end the being disturbed by others movement. No problems getting cold or losing sleep in temps down to around 40. I've tried the sleeping pad route and it just doesn't do it for me if I'm camping more than 1 night. Good luck with whatever you decide.
                        The single air mattress might be a good way to go. No disturbing the other as you mentioned.

What about memory foam type toppers? I know there are some out that ere that are 2-3 inches thick. Anyone use something like that directly on the ground?

Comment

That price is more like it. Are these type of pads comfortable?
                          If you are referring to the Alps, yes they are comfortable. I am pretty well rested when I wake up. The best thing you can do is go to a sporting goods store and put them on the floor and lay on them. Plus the more air you put in them, you can make them harder or softer depending on your "sleep number". Read the reviews on Amazon. Reviews are a big factor in my purchases.
                          Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-02-2013, 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling
                          Nights camped in 2019: 24
                          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

The single air mattress might be a good way to go. No disturbing the other as you mentioned.

What about memory foam type toppers? I know there are some out that ere that are 2-3 inches thick. Anyone use something like that directly on the ground?
                            We have tried the memory foam topper and it is pretty comfortable just a hassle to carry them around as the one we have does not compress down that great. We end up fighting with it to stay in the box we keep it in. We bought the king size thinking we could throw the family on it. We keep it at home now for when my older daughter has friends over, they like to sleep on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X