What do I need to take with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do I need to take with me?

We have found success with a Craftsman tool. One side is a hatchet with a notch to remove nails, and the other side is a standard carpenter's hammer head. It does woodcutting, and drives and removes stakes. Darn thing is from the 60's, carried in a '43 USA cloth cover and practically indestructible.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
      We have found success with a Craftsman tool. One side is a hatchet with a notch to remove nails, and the other side is a standard carpenter's hammer head. It does woodcutting, and drives and removes stakes. Darn thing is from the 60's, carried in a '43 USA cloth cover and practically indestructible.
      I'm not positive, but it sounds like you are describing a roofers hammer. Never thought of one as a camping tool, but now that you mention it, it sounds like it would be very handy.

Dan
      www.MuttShopProducts.com
      http://www.facebook.com/MuttShopProducts
      https://twitter.com/MuttShop

Comment

Yes that is a roofer's hammer, works too. I also take one but use it primarily as a hatchet.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
          From the post above:
          "Don't take my experience as fact! The Junk Science Theorist says I died of hypothermia years ago. :cool:"

RDF, That's a personal attack on me and I won't sit by and tolerate people calling the laws of science "Junk". I think anyone would react in the same way. If you think I should ignore comments like that please say so, it's your call, it's your forum and you make/interpret the rules.
          TP, one shouldn't cry wolf when you yourself was the wolf towards Big Dog originally!!!

Do you honestly believe that calling someone an alien isn't an insult? You dealt it so you gotta live with it! Step up and be mature! For heaven"s sake this is a forum. State your opinion and move on, there is no reason to start a quarrel! Big Dawg was only offering his opinion to Brandon(the original question). You sir have always harped about hypothermia and everyone gets it but to continue to rattle swords and call someone an alien from another planet, just because they choose to camp differently than you doesn't make your way the only way!

If you can't handle an insult you shouldn't dole insults out in the first place! We all camp differently, step up and be mature! State your opinion to the topic of the thread and move on. This is a forum, nothing more. Dog Dawg has never thrown an insult out towards anyone until now and he is perfectly legal to protect himself. If this doesn't stop immediately, TP, you are on the precipice of being banned. I have known you since 09 and Big Dog since Oct 08, you both go back years on this forum, don't let this be the ruin of so many years of fellowship.

Brandon, I'm so sorry that this happened in your thread! Please accept my humble apology?
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

RDF, you're right. Brandon, sorry about the sidebar comments I added to your original post. BigDog, I agree that if your gear works for you and you aren't asking, then you aren't interested in explanations or upgrades or improvements or whatever. We'll agree to disagree, and when the time comes that I find my explanations weren't 100% accurate, I will make sure you are the first to know, in all fairness...
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
              Leave the mallet at home and leave the rock where it lay. Take a claw hammer; the flattened end of the hammer to pound stakes in the ground and the claw end of the hammer to pull tent stakes out of the ground. If one tries to pull stakes, especially solid steel stakes 11" to 18" long with the tent fabric, serious damage to a tent will result. Even using hands might cause flesh to be torn so a hammer is the best bet when car camping.

You should also think about issues with your vehicle: spare tire, jack, safety flares.

A list is like the camping trip it's self: Every list is just practice till the next one visa vie every campout is just practice for the next one. Thanks for starting your list, don't worry mine covers the space of a basketball court, revisions are acceptable!

TP....everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one should make fun of the other person if they choose to camp differently than you. Let's tone down the barbs towards one another. Enough said.
              I use a mallet with a wood handle that has a hook screwed into the end. The hook works great for grabbing the tent stakes and gives me a way to hang it in my garage.

I've looked around online for a "one tool to rule them all" but there always seems to be something missing in each. It doesn't help that for cutting small timber I prefer a machete blade over a hatchet and for cutting larger pieces I'd rather have a saw blade. Too bad I can find one that also has a hammer head as well as some sort of hook. I can see why you wouldn't want to put that combination together though, it sounds mighty dangerous. :D

Comment

children along? minimum each, 3 pair shoes, and extra sox. I speaketh from a lot of experience....n

Comment

Working...
                X