Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buying a tent for a CO elk hunt, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a tent for a CO elk hunt, please help!

i am going on a elk hunt in CO this September. we will be hiking in 6-10 miles to set up camp. weight is a concern. i like the Mountain Hardware tents but unsure as to go with a 2 or 3 man tent. it will be just me and my gear in the tent. its a full week hunt. might be moving a few times to find the elk. any suggestions? i like the Drifter and Skyledge models.

Re: buying a tent for a CO elk hunt, please help!

Our favorite area is the Eastern Sierras by Camp Nelson in CA for mule deer and black bear. Temperatures drop quickly at 5500 feet and above and we'd freeze in hammocks without cover from the wind and sleet, and the tent means 10-degree warmer temps inside. For hunting trips it's hard to not like the extra room of a 3-person tent, and brands like Mountain HardWear won't fail you down the road. The full rain fly will keep the inside warm, and you'll likely need it as temps can quickly drop at high altitude below 50-degrees F. Get a quality sleeping pad and cold-rated bag...
    Last edited by tplife; 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

what GMU? And have you ever hunted here before?
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

GMU 7 and i have never hunted outside of NY much less Co!

Comment

HAAAAAAAAAAA Co ya say well i live in NY do you have any clue what just happened here with gun laws???? our group of 5 is hunting with all traditional archery and can not wait to go!

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
            Under the new Colorado law, if you hand your rifle to your hunting buddy to hold for a few seconds you just made a transfer of a firearm without going through the state and that's now a felony.
            That is wrong. While the laws that MY state has passed are a complete infringment on my 2nd amendment rights, the above statement is wrong. I pay close attention to the gun laws in my state for a very good reason, which I wont mention here. The pro gun lobby is just as bad at distorting the truth as the anti gun lobby.
            I will include a link to Colorado HB 13-1229. I would suggest reading it to see what is allowed and what isn't. Don't go by someone's word, or what someone heard. What is funny is they were talking about the magazine limit ban and talking about hunting. Do you know here in CO you are only allowed so many shells in your shotgun when hunting? And you better have a plug in your shotgun or you will pay a big fine. That was already a law from way back.
            (6)THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION DO NOT APPLY TO:
            (III)
            WHILE HUNTING, FISHING, TARGET SHOOTING, OR TRAPPING IF:

(A)
            THE HUNTING, FISHING, TARGET SHOOTING, OR TRAPPING IS
            LEGAL IN ALL PLACES WHERE THE UNLICENSED TRANSFEREE POSSESSES THE FIREARM
            ; AND

(B) THE UNLICENSED TRANSFEREE HOLDS ANY LICENSE OR PERMIT

THAT IS REQUIRED FOR SUCH HUNTING

, FISHING, TARGET SHOOTING, OR

TRAPPING

Here is a link to the background check law. Colorado House Bill 13-1229http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cli...e=1229_enr.pdf

Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 04-03-2013, 04:39 PM.

Comment

guess i picked the wrong place to look for helpful info......

Comment

You seem to have made up your mind and will not be convinced otherwise, so I will not waste my time trying to explain it to you....
                Anyways, to the OP. You have a hard choice, it could be 70 degrees or in the 40's. September will still be warm and you are probably going to have to get to high ground very early. Expect hard ground, they call them Rocky Mountains for a reason. If you plan on hiking in, you will need to save weight as much as possible, so I would look at highly rated backpacking tents from REI or some where similar. A good sleeping bag and mat and you should be fine. Plus you will have to move your gear from NY to CO, so that should also factor in as well.
                Let me ask you this, Are you sure you even got tags for that area? Our deadline was the beginning of April and they haven't even probably got all the mail in yet.

Comment

Maybe I'm too late! But I use to hunt archery style with Bear bows 70 lbs pull! Good luck to thee! But that was back in the 1970s! Single man tents:

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...king-tent.html
                  Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                  Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                  X