new sleep mattress????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new sleep mattress????

My wife has informed me that she doesn't like her sleep setup. We have separate Alps XL self inflating sleep pads. I was thinking of adding a foam topper to hers and making kind of a "bag" for her pad and topper, so they wouldn't separate during the night. I came across the 4" memory foam mattress toppers. Now I am thinking of just going with a straight queen size memory foam topper for a sleep pad. Does anyone have any experience using these? Remember that I am comfort driven when the family goes with me. Something such as this
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...DRTG6NS1QJBN13
    Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 04-04-2013, 06:15 PM.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: new sleep mattress????

That's basically what the ThermaRest Dreamtime "mattress" is: a 3" self-inflating mattress pad and a foam topper, both packed into a bag. But the Dreamtime foam topper is only 1/2 inch,maybe? But it's a concept you can easily assemble yourself.
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63623...st%20dreamtime

As far as effectiveness - I recently got mine, used it last week-end, and it's amazingly comfortable. Quite possibly my best camping purchase ever! I wonder what a larger foam topper would do for it.
    I suggest cutting it wider than a regular camping mattress pad - the Dreamtime was available wider. I'm happy with it as I move around a lot when I sleep.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Big Agnes makes the "sleeping giant" which is a memory foam topper and it comes in most standard pad sizes.

That said, my preferred sleep set up is a self inflating pad on top of a cot - I'm comfortable with just a 1.5" thick pad that way, even though I have a 4" thick one, I don't bring it because it's bulky and the difference on a cot is really minor (I might reconsider if I was camping somewhere really cold, since obviously the 4" pad would offer more insulation). I've never been comfortable on the ground, with any mattress.

Comment

Amazon has something called "Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Dream Inflatable Sleeping pad" that's new for 2013. There are no reviews yet, but the description says it's got a pillow top, memory-foam core, and inflatable pad.....but I think you may need a pump for that part, can't tell.

It's supposed to be 4" thick. Good luck!

Comment

Its the inflating mattresses that we are done with. Thinking of straight foam that wont deflate during the night. This is what we have now that she is done with. in the 3" thickness XL version
          http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine...ywords=alps+xl
          Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 04-05-2013, 04:05 PM.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood and thought you were considering a combo of some sort which might include the inflatable. That's how I read your original post. Good luck!
            Last edited by Joyous56; 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM. Reason: Rephrase.

Comment

You might want to look at these reviews of sleeping pads. Based on a review I found on here I bought a Thermarest prolite and love it. It is on top of an REI comfort cot which is seriously comfortable.

Comment

If you are sleeping on the ground I'd still suggest a cot of some sort.. even 4" of memory foam will be uncomfortable on a hard surface... it might even be more uncomfortable than her current pad.

Comment

Saraspins, don't bother with the extra thickness. If you're sleeping on a cot, you still have the empty air space underneath taking warmth away from you, so it won't make any difference (other than thinning your wallet). The extra insulation pays off when you subtract the cot. Using a cot under a sleeping pad defeats the thermal advantages of the pad. Why not try a thick ThermaRest product from a local store in your area? There's nothing like "the original". Replacing an air mattresses with foam is a great idea, since like a ThermaRest pad it uses cellular construction to greatly slow heat loss from the sleeper to the outside air. Their NeoAir products use a fibrous material to slow heat loss, but as a lighter alternative to cellular foam, the R-values are much lower.
                  Last edited by tplife; 04-05-2013, 11:36 PM.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                  X