Copper Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper Canyon

We currently have a VW Westfalia and have decided we need a little more "living room" so are researching different tents. We are dismayed at the poor quality of some (it has been many years since we've tent camped) and was wondering your recommendations on various tents in the $200 - $300 ballpark figure. We've looked at the Copper Canyon and am considering the 10' by 10' style. Can you please give us our thoughts on this one in particular or advise on another in the $ range I mentioned earlier. Thanks so much.

Re: Copper Canyon

The Copper Canyon is a low-quality tent, outdated design, as MSRP in this size of tent should be twice the price point. Rainfly is way too short, D-style doors, windows too large and invite lots of moisture to leak through, and at least two more brow-type poles are needed at this size of tent for wind and rain integrity. You could do better at your price point if you take some time to follow new-in-the-box tent auctions on Ebay in 6-man sizes from other, better quality brands like REI, EMS, Mountain HardWear, Big Agnes, Sierra Designs, NorthFace, or Marmot. That said, you could also do a lot worse than the Copper Canyon.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Hey I'm boycotting Colorado too, but only the politicians, not the good people who live there (I'm the last conservative in Kalifornia, NRA, GOA, so I should know). I strongly recommend Ebay for anyone who has enough time to follow some auctions. I've bought 3 tents off Ebay (new-in-the-box) for 60% off MSRP. That means $500 tents for $200! If I can do it, well, anyone can...
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I bought my Copper Canyon 8 (think it's about 12*12)when I had just put my toe back in the" camping pond" and opted for a level of comfort I never had before. Did a lot of research before buying and kept in mind that I might not want to continue camping after the first season. It's served me well and I've no problem discussing the advantages and disadvantages of it.

I'm pretty sure this year will be it's 5th season of summer camping. In prior seasons I primarily camp near a beach in the NE and sometimes it rains a lot and sometimes it doesn't. I've never had any problems with water entering the tent or in closing all the windows and feeling stifled by the heat. This is probably due to the ventilated roof which is made of a combo of mesh and solid fabric. The biggest problem I've had with this tent is a fear that the floor is too thin. I believe the newer models have fixed this deficiency by putting in a bath tub floor. I get around it by not wearing shoes in the tent and putting a fold able plastic rug on the floor. Oh and it would be nice if Eureka color coded the poles but I did that myself with my handy dandy nail polish collection :D. I find the 2 doors quite useful when a late night trip out the tent is needed. The most amount of people I've ever had sleeping in my tent was..4 adults and 1 child. The sleeping arrangements were: 1 queen sized air mattress on a stand; a twin air bed on the floor and 2 cots. I would not want more than that despite the rating for 8 people, LOL.

There is certainly a good chance that when my current tent dies I'll consider getting a canvas tent but I accept that'll involve a different level o $$$$ and commitment to camping. Andd maybe I'll just go with an RV by then.

Oh and just a heads up- REI sells the Copper Canyon.
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-09-2013, 03:40 AM.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

why are people boycotting Big Agnes tents or anything from Colorado??? Confused.

Comment

Originally posted by SS76 View Post
            why are people boycotting Big Agnes tents or anything from Colorado??? Confused.

read here
            http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...nt-please-help!
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by SS76 View Post
              I believe it's about some recently enacted laws there.

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?p...4-362ffcb5cf40
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
              X