getting ready to buy first tent in30 yrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting ready to buy first tent in30 yrs

Well after much research and given these parameters, we're getting ready to buy the MSR Mutha Habba. It is quite an investment so I thought I would run it by all of you. Requirements...room for 2 adults plus a suitcase..Don't want something I have to crawl out of on all fours..would like a vestibule to take shoes off before entering tent. We car camp wth a small car(Honda Fit). Got very excited about the BA Wyoming 2 but it was really too big, also did not like their poles, though the inside tent was well appointed. My husband is anxious to kayak camp so we don't want anything too big or heavy. Anxious to hear if there is a tent I may have missed. Thank you for your comments.

Re: getting ready to buy first tent in30 yrs

I think that is a great choice for what your looking to do. Car camping is something I remember doing with my family when I was in grade school. Lots of fun. As for the tent I've heard good reviews but have never had the opportunity to use one. I like most all of the MSR products that I've used. A close friend of mine did a week hike with his MSR Hubba and didn't have any complaints.

Comment

What research did you do on the tent? I looked at it on rei.com and read the reviews, and there were some 3 man tents that had better reviews, and for a little cheaper. Just curious how you came upon your decision.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

You're right that may be prudent, but we are hoping this one will do it all. Do not expect to do much backcountry really, so want something cosy for now.

Comment

You're in the region of 4-man tents with a lot of vertical space. MSR is one of the top performers in polyester, including: NorthFace, Mountain HardWare, Big Agnes, Sierra Designs, REI, EMS, and Marmot. Don't overlook an Ebay/Amazon/Resellerratings.com search to be sure a similar (10X10 or less) size tent isn't available at a much (60% off MSRP new-in-the-box) lower cost. We've bought three at that price point and are glad we did our "research" and were patient through the auctions. Cabela's offers some good tents IMHO, but they're not in the same league with the big guys if you compare specs and features. The larger the production numbers, the greater the chance for big discounts off Ebay. Once you're here in the "big leagues", you can expect similar features, designs, and customer service regardless of brand. As a buyer of tents of 40 years, may I remind you that price is soon forgotten with a quality choice...
          Last edited by tplife; 04-19-2013, 07:42 PM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

If you plan to use the tent for Kayaking make note of the length of the poles. Some poles are too long to fit through the hatches of the kayak. Of course, you can separate the tent fabric from the poles for packing into the kayak, but plan accordingly for getting the poles into the kayak. You don't want to have to lash the poles to the deck.

Comment

Working...
            X